• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley GWR Station

I suppose most people who travelled on the Inner Circle 8, along Icknield Street, will remember the sets of consecutive bridges which carried the vast tracks which contained Hockley goods yard and station.

Until the road was lowered, there had to be special 'low height' buses for the Inner Circle because of these bridges. The upper deck seats were 'bucket' type, in the centre, with the side gangways giving lower ceiling height over the downstairs seats. for obvious reasons, they were called 'pickpocket specials'! Three photos below of one of them when new, no. 229 (OP 7872). {Before these, open top buses were used and the conductor had to warn passengers to "remain seated" when passing under the bridge!]

Attachments

• 229 OP 7872 upper saloon 'Herringbone' seating.jpg
    229 OP 7872 upper saloon 'Herringbone' seating.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 229 OP 7872 lower saloon.jpg
    229 OP 7872 lower saloon.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 229  OP 7872.jpg
    229 OP 7872.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 23
Here are another couple of photos of the tunnel entrance and station site - taken from Vyse Street in the early 80's I think- certainly work on the new station and trackbed is not started yet, and part of the site looks like it is being used as a scrap yard:-
1628150168822.png
1628150262001.png

How wonderful to see all these evocative shots of Hockley Station. I was born near there and well remember my Dad taking me up the dark stairway to the platforms to see the trains on Saturday (I suppose) afternoons in the early 60s. Kings and their named underlings, cute matchbox engines as I called the pannier tanks and the sleek DMUs. The start of a lifetime of train spotting and enthusiasm. I‘ve travelled on, and watched, trains in the US, Russia, Australia, Africa and Asia but nothing has ever matched that first thrill from Hockley.

How wonderful to see all these evocative shots of Hockley Station. I was born near there and well remember my Dad taking me up the dark stairway to the platforms to see the trains on Saturday (I suppose) afternoons in the early 60s. Kings and their named underlings, cute matchbox engines as I called the pannier tanks and the sleek DMUs. The start of a lifetime of train spotting and enthusiasm. I‘ve travelled on, and watched, trains in the US, Russia, Australia, Africa and Asia but nothing has ever matched that first thrill from Hockley.
great first post monique...just the sort this forum is all about...our memories and photos..thanks.

lyn

But of course Monique, it’s GWR :)! Enjoy the Forum!

Just wondering if anyone has a photograph of Hockley GWR railway station they would be kind enough to post please, would love to see one of the frontage taken from Icknield Street.

Kind regards

Dibs
dib44:
I wish people would use real names.
If you look up Peg Monkey June 2018, you will find a map of Hockley St.
Also look at "The bombing of Brookfields school" you will find more information.
look up "Icknield St Birmingham Mint.
Information around but it takes time.
Wish you all the best.
Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

A lot of information is around but it takes time

Just wondering if anyone has a photograph of Hockley GWR railway station they would be kind enough to post please, would love to see one of the frontage taken from Icknield Street.

Kind regards

Dibs
Road level views are rare but this one is from http://disused-stations.org.uk/h/hockley/index.shtml which has other views - mostly at rail level, but also showing the encroaching dereliction that was allowed to happen.

Hockley stn from Ickneild St .jpg

dib44:
I wish people would use real names.
If you look up Peg Monkey June 2018, you will find a map of Hockley St.
Also look at "The bombing of Brookfields school" you will find more information.
look up "Icknield St Birmingham Mint.
Information around but it takes time.
Wish you all the best.
Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

A lot of information is around but it takes time
Before getting on you "very" high horse I would suggest you look at the original posting date ! ! ! ! ! !

Before getting on you "very" high horse I would suggest you look at the original posting date ! ! ! ! ! !
dib44:

dib44:, I can't remember the last time I was on horse back but the thought brings back some great memories.
I believe people's names are important, even nick names (sorry for pun) are important.
We often abbreviate a persons name.
But we should always allow people to use the name of their choice.

I did try to find the "original posting date !!!!!!".

I'm a Hockley boy at heart and the area still holds a lot of interest, I remember when I was ten ish (1960's) going camping and leaving from Hockley St with my big brother.
Best luck with your search

Nick Phillips ‍♂️ .

Last edited:
dib44:

dib44:, I can't remember the last time I was on horse back but the thought brings back some great memories.
I believe people's names are important, even nick names (sorry for pun) are important.
We often abbreviate a persons name.
But we should always allow people to use the name of their choice.

I did try to find the "original posting date !!!!!!".

I'm a Hockley boy at heart and the area still holds a lot of interest, I remember when I was ten ish (1960's) going camping and leaving from Hockley St with my big brother.
Best luck with your search

Nick Phillips ‍♂️ .

dib44, do you mind me asking are you a Hockley lad yourself?
I was born at Coralie St and lived in the area until age of 16 moving after a house fire,
Understand if you would rather not answer.

Nick Phillips ‍♂️

dib44, do you mind me asking are you a Hockley lad yourself?
I was born at Coralie St and lived in the area until age of 16 moving after a house fire,
Understand if you would rather not answer.

Nick Phillips ‍♂️
Just noticed this thread. I look at a fair number on the site but there are very few with continuing items of interest to me these days. It seems people are getting too old!
I used to go trainspotting at Hockley as I did at many other vantage points throughout Brum as well as other places such as Tamworth, Crewe, Rugby.
My favourite memory of Hockley is when (in 1958 I think) my junior school - Steward Street - closed down for the day and everyone was walked down to Hockley by the staff. There we all caught a train specially commissioned by the school to take us to Barry Island for the day. It was a very enjoyable trip.
Nowadays I visit Barry Island on a fairly regular basis because my granddaughter and her husband live nearby!

I used to play around the goods yard as a kid and well remember the horses being taken to Abbey St to be shoed, on another thought, am I imagining it or did I queue on Icknield St when I was little to see a "Whale" being transported to the museum or did I imagine it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Shunters' Viv. They moved wagons about by powered capstans and ropes, the skill being to hold the rope tight for the capstan to pull it then let it slack when it had pulled far enough. Here's one at Bristol harbour docks museum.
There was one of those at Aston Sheds. We would sit on the top and be spun around as the other person held their foot on the button. It use to make me motion sick.

Back