• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Greengrocers get accused of putting in apostrophes where they aren't needed, grocers just leave them out? [Barbers Tea]
Barbers Tea was a trade name and in such cases often the possessive apostrophe is omitted. Lyons Tea, Ringtons Tea (sold in Newcastle) but Cadbury Cocoa. It is just a convention and company policy may change. Harrod's became Harrods.

Anyone ever drink Barbers tea? I never have.

As it's Barbers Teas, in theory (I think) the apostrophe should be after the s in Barbers The teas are plural so there must have been several types produced by Barbers - hence in theory it should have been Barbers’ Teas. But as the advertisers weren’t bothered, neither am I !! Viv.

Barbers Tea was a trade name and in such cases often the possessive apostrophe is omitted. Lyons Tea, Ringtons Tea (sold in Newcastle) but Cadbury Cocoa. It is just a convention and company policy may change. Harrod's became Harrods.

Anyone ever drink Barbers tea? I never have.
F.W. Woolworth is another company that fought a losing battle with its customers! Better to have a mangled version of ones name on the public's lips than none at all.

As it's Barbers Teas, in theory (I think) the apostrophe should be after the s in Barbers The teas are plural so there must have been several types produced by Barbers - hence in theory it should have been Barbers’ Teas. But as the advertisers weren’t bothered, neither am I !! Viv.
F.W. Woolworth is another company that fought a losing battle with its customers! Better to have a mangled version of ones name on the public's lips than none at all.
I think that however you punctuate it Woolworth no longer trades in the UK. There might be some ghost signs?

English is curious. Suppliers of tea, meat, cloth, paper etc. refer to their products in the singular even though they actually supply more than one variety. Suppliers of biscuits, cars or vegetables use the plural form though, so we have Tetley Tea but Carr's Biscuits. Insert the word 'company' and the plurals become singular, e.g. Ford Cars but Ford Car Company.

Returning to Barbers Tea, makes me think of Maypole, a long-gone chain of grocers, unless I am completely mistaken.

But, towards the end of life of the factory in Birmingham, the red neon sign on the factory lost the t and read just yphoo , so could be said that, w.hen they decided to move from brum, Brum took the t from typhoo
Where exactly on Pershore St was Teaplant House I wonder and guess it's long gone.

This one is on Princip Street. It looks like the building has been refurbed, but the sign remains. I can see “Stationers ..... Presswork”. Would it have previously been a printers ? Viv.0A827CFF-715C-408C-ADBE-FF6F9CD84C2D.jpeg

Heres a photo of the waiting room in its prime, I still cant read the lettering but I don't think it says Erdington Tramways.
Not sure if you solved the mystery of that building but to me it looks like the building that supplied electricity for the overhead wires

That’s an impressive refurb. Removing the cladding and repointing has lifted the whole building. Wonder what the ‘sundries’ would be? Would this be why there was ‘presswork’ going on there ? Viv.

Back