• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Palmer family 9/50 Benacre Street

No27

knowlegable brummie
For those interested on other threads, this is info on 9/50 Benacre Street 1920 - 1925

1921 Census:
Harry (Henry) Palmer from Taunton and his wife Eliza (nee Shepherd, fom Sherbourne Rd)
Children:
Harry (William Henry) - 1905
Charles Frederick -
Emmeline Mary - 1914
Nellie - 1915
Frances Annie

13th June 1922 - Birth of Minnie (Susan), registered Sep Qtr on GRO
Christmas 1925 - marriage of William Henry to Hilda Ward, still at 9/50 Benacre.

Prior to this, in 1911, Harry (Snr) and Eliza were at Kynaston Buildings (with Harry's sister from Taunton), while Harry Jr was round the corner in Oak Tree Place (Sherbourne Rd) with his grandparents.

Attachments

• WmHenryPalmerHildaWard1925.png
    WmHenryPalmerHildaWard1925.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Dear Proper Brummie Kid,
Thank you so much for this reply and for kindly taking the time to do so. I've only just started this Palmer quest (at 77) so will save this information. I'm so sorry for taking so long to respond, but I find navigating this site so fiddly and frustrating!!
Warmest Regards,
Nick Nicholls. (Palmer descendant)

No problem, Nick.

Your Palmers were at 43 Johnson Rd for quite some time - the electoral rolls show those of voting age over the years:

NameResidence YearWardStreet Address
Thomas Palmer1912Washwood Heath43 Johnson street
Thomas Palmer1920Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1920Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas Palmer1922Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1922Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas Palmer1925Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1925Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emily Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas William Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Albert Harry Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Arthur Robert Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
May Victoria Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Albert H Palmer1960Aston43 Johnson Street
May V Palmer1960Aston43 Johnson Street
Albert H Palmer1962Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street
May V Palmer1962Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street
Palmer May V1965Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street

Are any of the above related to a THOMAS WILSON PALMER who lived in Soho Hill and surrounding areas in around 1930s? He was married to a DORA MERCY PALMER (formally COLLET) WILSON PALMER was their son and the adoptive family of my maternal grandmother.

They appear to be 3 completely unrelated Palmer families...

Thomas Wilson Palmer of Soho Hill, son of John Palmer, son of Thomas Palmer all from Wednesbury

Thomas Palmer of Johnson St, son of Robert, son of William all from Bham

Harry Palmer of Benacre St, son of Eli/Thomas, son of Robert all from Somerset

They appear to be 3 completely unrelated Palmer families...

Thomas Wilson Palmer of Soho Hill, son of John Palmer, son of Thomas Palmer all from Wednesbury

Thomas Palmer of Johnson St, son of Robert, son of William all from Bham

Harry Palmer of Benacre St, son of Eli/Thomas, son of Robert all from Somerset
Regards the Palmers of Soho Hill, you are correct mentioning Wednesbury but that was only from around 1936 when Thomas Wilson Palmer lived in Piercy Street with his wife, Dora Mercy Palmer, son, Wilson Palmer and my maternal grandmother (Freda Palmer) who they adopted in Darlaston, Staffordshire that year. Thomas ran a Pub in Union Street, Wednesbury called 'The Three Tuns' but the Palmers I speak of were from Birmingham areas prior to Wednesbury.

No problem, Nick.

Your Palmers were at 43 Johnson Rd for quite some time - the electoral rolls show those of voting age over the years:

NameResidence YearWardStreet Address
Thomas Palmer1912Washwood Heath43 Johnson street
Thomas Palmer1920Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1920Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas Palmer1922Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1922Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas Palmer1925Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emma Palmer1925Erdington43 Johnson Street
Emily Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Thomas William Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Albert Harry Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Arthur Robert Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
May Victoria Palmer1935Erdington43 Johnson Street
Albert H Palmer1960Aston43 Johnson Street
May V Palmer1960Aston43 Johnson Street
Albert H Palmer1962Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street
May V Palmer1962Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street
Palmer May V1965Districts 112 to 21443 Johnson Street
Dear Proper Brummie Kid, Thank you so, so much for this valuable information. My mother was Emily Palmer who married James William Nicholls (Nechells) in the late thirties who lived close by (?) and I was very close to May Victoria Palmer (aunt) and Albert Harry Palmer (uncle). Both were siblings and never married. I often stayed at 43, Johnson Street as a kid in the 1950s. Uncles Thomas and Arthur would also be popular visiting at number 43. May Victoria was always known as 'Ciss' I am so grateful to you for opening this 'door' for me - do you have any tips you can give me please to enable me to allow me to 'paddle my own canoe' in digging up more information ie websites or other mines of information? I'm now 77 and wish I had embarked upon this journey earlier in life. Warmest Regards, Nick.

Dear Proper Brummie Kid, Thank you so, so much for this valuable information. My mother was Emily Palmer who married James William Nicholls (Nechells) in the late thirties who lived close by (?) and I was very close to May Victoria Palmer (aunt) and Albert Harry Palmer (uncle). Both were siblings and never married. I often stayed at 43, Johnson Street as a kid in the 1950s. Uncles Thomas and Arthur would also be popular visiting at number 43. May Victoria was always known as 'Ciss' I am so grateful to you for opening this 'door' for me - do you have any tips you can give me please to enable me to allow me to 'paddle my own canoe' in digging up more information ie websites or other mines of information? I'm now 77 and wish I had embarked upon this journey earlier in life. Warmest Regards, Nick.
Hi Nick,
My main source for info is on the Ancestry genealogy site - it gives convenient access to censuses and many parish records and electoral rolls to look for friends and family, but it is subscription based. The navigation and searching take a little bit of getting used to, but all sections work in the same way. If it's just relatives you're interested in rather than friends, then it'd also be useful to take a DNA test, wich can link you to other descendents (if they have also been tested on the same site).
All the Best,
Chris

Regards the Palmers of Soho Hill, you are correct mentioning Wednesbury but that was only from around 1936 when Thomas Wilson Palmer lived in Piercy Street with his wife, Dora Mercy Palmer, son, Wilson Palmer and my maternal grandmother (Freda Palmer) who they adopted in Darlaston, Staffordshire that year. Thomas ran a Pub in Union Street, Wednesbury called 'The Three Tuns' but the Palmers I speak of were from Birmingham areas prior to Wednesbury.
Hi Job,
I know we have communicated before via your partner.
My husband is descended from the Palmer family too.
His Great Grandad was Samuel Ernest Palmer, son on Mercy Palmer (née Kendrick) and Josiah Palmer.
Mercy and Josiah are on this photo, along with their son’s and daughter’s.
The little buy at the front is Samuel’s son, Percy.
I think these are your Ancestor’s too.
Regards,
Alison36DA22FE-BC5E-48F2-BDFB-8920E00F9372.jpeg

Back