• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bells on bicycles. We often walk around our local reservoir which is also used by cyclists. When a bike approaches from behind, instead of a nice melodic bell telling you to move over, you get someone yelling " coming through". At least they do say thank you.
The bike in the US have bells, or at least facsimiles. Not like the old bell, it just goes pling pling and seems not to get anyone attention.

I rode on this actual steam waggon as a kid while it was still operating in steam.
It churns me up a bit, (and makes Julie laugh), when I visit a museum and see things I regularly played with as a nipper. Even worse is when I see tech equipment, that I used regularly in my career (in what I fondly imagine was not too long ago), set up as a display of times gone by. Perhaps I should just climb up onto the display and stay there.

Compensation comes when we see museum items from Julie's past, she is just one day older than me, so it happens just as often to her. :).

Andrew.

I made challah bread yesterday and my breakfast this morning was strong Assam tea and a slab of toasted challah smothered in butter and home made jam...simple...stunning...lovely :)
Excuse my ignorance but what is challah bread, Can't ever remember hearing the word. My wife always makes two loaves of white bread on a Saturday, and then takes one of them to Church on Sunday, having a list of people who scramble for it. One loves it with cheese another with jam. Can't beat home made bread

It churns me up a bit, (and makes Julie laugh), when I visit a museum and see things I regularly played with as a nipper. Even worse is when I see tech equipment, that I used regularly in my career (in what I fondly imagine was not too long ago), set up as a display of times gone by. Perhaps I should just climb up onto the display and stay there.

Compensation comes when we see museum items from Julie's past, she is just one day older than me, so it happens just as often to her. :).

Andrew.
Unfortunately Andrew, I feel that I am a part of the past! At least we learned basic principles! Now that was what I heard growing up.

Unfortunately Andrew, I feel that I am a part of the past! At least we learned basic principles! Now that was what I heard growing up.
During my last visit to the Henry Ford Museum a three years ago, I spotted the same living room wall clock that we received as a wedding present in 1975 and this alarm radio that I was still using, because it works fine!

I find it very challenging to call "modern" furniture attractive and the particle board rubbish from IKEA is NOT furniture!

Our daughter recently leased her condominium to someone and moved into an older home that has a nice back garden for our grand daughter to play in. She had me remove a beautiful Tiffany style dining room lamp and install some awful looking IKEA product that looks like a straw sombrero inside a star laundry hamper! I guess that it's in the "eyes of the beholder".

GE Clock Radio.JPGClock.JPG
my friend had is bike knicked and the police constable called at his house to see him, "he said to him Did you write the frame number down?" yes said my mate it is O I L.
I wonder how many actually understand that! :)

During my last visit to the Henry Ford Museum a three years ago, I spotted the same living room wall clock that we received as a wedding present in 1975 and this alarm radio that I was still using, because it works fine!

I find it very challenging to call "modern" furniture attractive and the particle board rubbish from IKEA is NOT furniture!

Our daughter recently leased her condominium to someone and moved into an older home that has a nice back garden for our grand daughter to play in. She had me remove a beautiful Tiffany style dining room lamp and install some awful looking IKEA product that looks like a straw sombrero inside a star laundry hamper! I guess that it's in the "eyes of the beholder".

View attachment 172095View attachment 172094

Martin, I used to spend a lot of time at Ford an$ often went to The Henry Ford, I thing hit a really great place!
Second, we have one of those GE radios, mus5 be 30 years old but still works. Third we used IKEA for storage shelves and disposable furniture when our children went away to University!

my friend had is bike knicked and the police constable called at his house to see him, "he said to him Did you write the frame number down?" yes said my mate it is O I L.

he thought the letters oil by the little hole on the frame was the frame number doh!

Baby things, bringing up baby has changed in many ways. Some for the better:

- putting a nip of brandy in the baby’s milk to help with sleep
- glass feeding bottles
- washable nappies - although some (poor souls!) still use them
- putting baby outside in the pram for fresh air
- using talcum powder on babies

To name a few. Viv.

Martin, I used to spend a lot of time at Ford an$ often went to The Henry Ford, I thing hit a really great place!
Second, we have one of those GE radios, mus5 be 30 years old but still works. Third we used IKEA for storage shelves and disposable furniture when our children went away to University!
Richard, I attend an annual GM conference that is in the Detroit area, as it has been for the past several years since GM USA had to restructure. It allows the engineers to participate in the conference, to our benefit.

With another forum, we held our annual conference at the Henry Ford Hotel (Dearborn Marriot) the week after 911 and just a few years ago, we held a conference there again with a different group. It was like going back in time.

Love it hate it, IKEA merchandise has crossed the threshold in many homes around the globe, for exactly the same reasons. (ours included)

Did you ever have the opportunity to visit the Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit?

It was the birthplace of the Model T and there is one of every model there. https://www.fordpiquetteplant.org/ either restored or in process.

Piquette Avenue.JPG

Here's an image of Henry's Kitchen Sink Engine Model on display.

Kitchen Sink Engine.JPG

Here's an image that I snapped of Henry Ford's office recreated very similar to his days there.

A little known fact is that Henry Ford actually designed the first Cadillac in that office!

Henry Ford's Office.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back