• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. So proud of my home city. Watching from Australia, the whole ceremony was so professional and spectacular enough to rival any recent games of any note. For us on this forum it also covered so much history of our city, the things we made, ' from pins to a ships anchor' my Dad reckoned. Was that anchor for the Titanic made in the Black Country? God bless 'the chain mekkers', covered our social and literary history too. Back in the day we embraced those who arrived from around the Commonwealth, in my day we lived and worked happily alongside one another. Congratulations to those behind the production. Only minor gripe- I would have preferred Jeff Lynne and ELO to Duran Duran
Also watching from Oz mate. Proud as punch we are.

Noticed that Doctor Johnson managed to be depicted in the Opening Ceremony, despite…

“Dr Samuel Johnson, who married a Birmingham woman, handed out to that city one of the large insults of the 18th century. He called the inhabitants "boobies" who were not to be compared with the men and women of Lichfield, "a city of philosophers."

Noticed that Doctor Johnson managed to be depicted in the Opening Ceremony, despite…

“Dr Samuel Johnson, who married a Birmingham woman, handed out to that city one of the large insults of the 18th century. He called the inhabitants "boobies" who were not to be compared with the men and women of Lichfield, "a city of philosophers."
'Tetty' Jervis (Johnson's wife) was from Leicestershire and the widow of Henry Porter, a unsuccessful Birmingham merchant. Johnson was associated with Thomas Warren who published the Birmingham Journal. Johnson lived 1709-1784, so he saw early industrial Birmingham. He is far ruder about the Scots! He seems to have had Tourette's, so a brusque manner was his usual way.

The suggested birth of Charlie Chaplin in a Roma caravan in Black Patch Park is fascinating, but remains unproved either way.

The women striking chainmakers were certainly Black Country, but these Games are said to be West Midlands, rather than narrowly B'ham, so their inclusion in the story is welcome.

Well this is the result of the cogitations of three philosophers:
David Hume:
In the philosopher’s 1753 essay, Of National Characters, in which he voiced his suspicion that “negroes” are “naturally inferior to the whites”
Immanuel Kant
"The white race possesses all incentives and talents in itself... The race of Negroes can be educated, but only as slaves... The [indigenous] Americans cannot be educated, they care about nothing and are lazy."
Schopenhauer
his essay "On Women" (Über die Weiber), in which he expressed his opposition to what he called "Teutonico-Christian stupidity" on female affairs. He argued that women are "by nature meant to obey" as they are "childish, frivolous, and short sighted"

Whereas those from Birmingham concentrated on doing something useful and producing things of value to the population.

Whereas those from Birmingham concentrated on doing something useful and producing things of value to the population.
Like shackles and leg irons you mean? Made in Birmingham and used in Guantánamo. Everyone is a prisoner of the prejudices of their own time. Even us. But thanks for the evil philosophers cut and paste job.

Wherever historical references are included in these ceremonies inevitably there’s always scope for damning comments about past injustices and prejudicial beliefs. But, although prejudice still exists, I’m thankful we can at least demonstrate we’re moving forward through sport, where there’s a more inclusive culture emerging. Women’s football being a perfect example. As a woman it gives me hope. And it sets young people a good example. Viv.

Wherever historical references are included in these ceremonies inevitably there’s always scope for damning comments about past injustices and prejudicial beliefs. But, although prejudice still exists, I’m thankful we can at least demonstrate we’re moving forward through sport, where there’s a more inclusive culture emerging. Women’s football being a perfect example. As a woman it gives me hope. And it sets young people a good example. Viv.
Thanks for your post Viv. I watched the TV coverage of the swimming at Sandwell last night and saw amazing performances in a beautiful new pool. The para athletes are also incorporated into the same games (unlike the Olympics) and represented on the TV presentation team. One could be sceptical about the Commonwealth as it came about because of the British Empire, but these games, like contemporary young Birmingham are diverse. One of the things which drew me to this forum is that it features history in the title as opposed to 'heritage.' With history we take the rough with the smooth. We only have a symbolic bull, because bulls were once baited with dogs in the city centre. There are many people with Irish connections in Birmingham, only history, as opposed to heritage, will explain why the Republic of Ireland is not a member of the Commonwealth. With hope too for the future, Derek

My son and I went to the first morning of the athletics today. It was really a fine morning's entertainment, with the spectators showing their appreciation for the efforts of each and every athlete. The volunteers were so friendly and helpful. They couldn't do enough to make everyone welcome (both outside & within the stadium). Splendid idea that tickets could be used on public transport (bus, train, metro & shuttle bus) to get you to and from the stadium. I took the shuttle bus from/to Perry Barr station and it was a fast, efficient and friendly service. 10/10 to all concerned in making the event, what it was today. :cool:

3 people on the Forum who previousley lived in Birmingham and I presume now living in Australia.
enjoying the competition, the competitors are all just amazing,
but when it comes to swimming, my father a pom through and through,
was right, for when he told us we were moving to Australia (he said Aussies were such great swimmers)
although none of us boys became sports people as such, we have enjoyed the outdoor life style
Barry

The mountain bike events are being held within 5 minutes drive from where I live today, not looking forward to the extra amount of traffic which it will bring to the area, we have quite a few road works going on at the moment and on a normal day its very bad, so if anyone on here is planning to attend, use public transport if you can cos unless you have paid in advance for a car parking ticket you will have no where to park, even us locals have been banned from parking or even stopping on the roads around the chase..

Hi Shorttermer, yes and even more amazing all 3 went to Sheldon Heath Comp- must have instilled a sense of adventure in us. Youre right about sport out here, lots of encouragement and opportunities to have a go at any sport, theres basketball courts and tennis courts everywhere. How would you have liked the school sports teacher to ask 'anyone want to do surfing', my son and daughter took advantage! Little chance back in Brum, so far from the sea, we loved our two weeks holidays in Bournemouth. Unfortunately we do take it for granted out here and rarely go for a dip- mind you I'm not keen on sharks and box jellyfish, but the views are spectacular- also no fight for a place on the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back