• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tower street

That's fabulous - thanks. I dare say his Dad made use of the beerhouses - my Grandad was under 5 yrs old when they left Birmingham to come to Cardiff - so I hope he wasn't partaking of their offerings! :)
Just noticed on the map - Vampire Yard - that sounds a really fun place (not) lol

That's fabulous - thanks. I dare say his Dad made use of the beerhouses - my Grandad was under 5 yrs old when they left Birmingham to come to Cardiff - so I hope he wasn't partaking of their offerings! :)
Just noticed on the map - Vampire Yard - that sounds a really fun place (not)

there was a pub just around the corner that was called the vampire and it would have been around when your gt grandad was living in tower st.. not sure if the pub came first or the yard but i have always thought the pub.....if you search the forum there should be at least 2 photos of the pub in fact the photos could well have been taken when you gt grandad was around there..from memory one of the photos shows a group of men standing outside the pub..for all we know one of them could be your gt grandad...actually to save you searching click on the link below it will take you to the vampire pub thread..make sure you read from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Last edited:
there was a pub just around the corner that was called the vampire and it would have been around when your gt grandad was living in tower st.. not sure if the pub came first or the yard but i have always thought the pub.....if you search the forum there should be at least 2 photos of the pub in fact the photos could well have been taken when you gt grandad was around there..from memory one of the photos shows a group of men standing outside the pub..for all we know one of them could be your gt grandad...actually to save you searching click on the link below it will take you to the vampire pub thread..make sure you read from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn
What an interesting history that place has and wouldn't it be great if there was any way of finding out if my G-Grandfather was in that picture? That poor man who was scalded and died :(

My G-G-G-Grandfather was a lock keeper - and they were living in Northbrook Street on the 1841 census - would the locks be near there??

My G-G-G-Grandfather was a lock keeper - and they were living in Northbrook Street on the 1841 census - would the locks be near there??

There is a Northbrook St in Bham, which runs alongside the Bham canal but assuming you're talking about your Griffin ancestors I think they were living on Northbrook St, Newbury.

Last edited:
There is a Northbrook St in Bham, which runs alongside the Bham canal but assuming you're talking about your Griffin ancestors I think they were living on Northbrook St, Newbury.

Thanks MWS - that would be right - the Edward Griffin that was the lock-keeper was living in Newbury for the 1841 census and he died in 1850 still living in Newbury..... it was sometime later the family moved to Birmingham. The sculpture they mention sounds interesting. I must visit one day :)

Back