• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fircroft College Bournville

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The college was founded by George Cadbury in 1909. It was a former Cadbury family home set in 6 acres (24,000 m2) of gardens and woodland.
image.jpeg

It was founded with strong a ethos of social justice through short residential adult training courses. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Did this have a link to Ruskin College in Oxford - Set up by 2 Americans (I believe) in 1899, with mature students and social justice principles.

Did this have a link to Ruskin College in Oxford - Set up by 2 Americans (I believe) in 1899, with mature students and social justice principles.
Peter I was at Fircroft in 1973, long time ago but it does have some link if I remember correctly.

If the present staff are anything like they were in 1973, a phone call will give you an answer.
Any time I travel past a smile comes across my face.

Is it not time for a visit to the old place?

Nick Phillips,.

Thanks Nick. I thought so. I lived in Moseley for many years. I also went to Ruskin in the eighties and have many wonderful memories of the time. I only heard of Fircroft much later.

Thanks Nick. I thought so. I lived in Moseley for many years. I also went to Ruskin in the eighties and have many wonderful memories of the time. I only heard of Fircroft much later.
Peter, without Fircroft, I would not have had the career that I did.
I left school at age of 15, with very little confidence in my self. My first few days at the college I wondered "what am I doing here".
When I left I had an offer from Birmingham university and a job offer from a school. I took the job at the school I wanted both. Twenty years later Birmingham made another offer a placement, this time I couldn't get a grant. Should I apply again?

Take care
Nick Phillips :)

Last edited:
Fircraft teaches Access Courses that enable those without A levels to qualify for university. They are very inclusive and diverse (residential and non-residential.) They teach other courses as well. There's a strong trades union connection especially with the Workers Educational Association. As a retired university admissions tutor, I've recommended them as the Access course has an excellent success rate. They used to give applicants a broadsheet newspaper, then a written exam on it followed by an interview. But we admitted people who studied there and they were well prepared.

Peter, without Fircroft, I would not have had the career that I did.
I left school at age of 15, with very little confidence in my self. My first few days at the college I wondered "what am I doing here".
When I left I had an offer from Birminghan university and a job offer from a school. I took the job at the school I wanted both. Twenty years later Birmingham made another of a placement, this time I couldn't get a grant. Should I apply again?

Take care
Nick Phillips :)
Sounds like Fircroft gave you a sound start Nick. I guess you know that there are no grants (only loans) to study at university these days? This is a bad thing in my view. But some dedicated mature students still find a way. If you know what you would like to study then find out who the Admissions Tutor is for that course and ask them for advice. Derek

This photo, labelled as taken by a photographer on Bournville village green is from a site devoted to identifying unidentified photos. Has been identofied as a side view of fircroft college (only known photos just show front, but had very similar chimney on corner), at 155 Oak Tree Lane. I tend to agree, though not certain
possibly Fircroft college,155  oak tree lane  bournville.jpg

My father, Albert Clark, was the administrator at Fircroft in the mid-1950's to early 1960's, I was regularly taken to the college during this time and met many of the students, as well as running around the hallways and grounds. I recall being taught chess by a Russian emigre, and meeting students from all over the world. Until around 1970 we also used to go to the annual reunion. Fond memories.

My father, Albert Clark, was the administrator at Fircroft in the mid-1950's to early 1960's, I was regularly taken to the college during this time and met many of the students, as well as running around the hallways and grounds. I recall being taught chess by a Russian emigre, and meeting students from all over the world. Until around 1970 we also used to go to the annual reunion. Fond memories.
thanks for your memories alan...enjoy the forum

lyn

Back