• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Are the any pictures,or information on " the kings head" pub,at 67 Allison street,Birmingham,I think it was demolished about 1906/7.
Just seen your post. There is a part picture of the Kings Head in Allison Street on the Lost Pubs Project website.

Looking for info on a lost Pub, (google was no help)

Address on 1871 census: 'The Struggler' Lombardian Place, Guildford Street, Aston.

George Littlewood, (Beerhouse keeper)

Thanks in advance.

I can't see Lombardian Place on the 1891 map but it may have changed names by then. Do any of the neighbouring houses have numbers. If not you could continue to check properties either side for other named terraces or pubs to narrow it down.

It is mentioned in the Bham Daily Post, 4 Jun 1869 in regards a lost dog - The Struggler, Guildford Street, Aston.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
I can't see Lombardian Place on the 1891 map but it may have changed names by then. Do any of the neighbouring houses have numbers. If not you could continue to check properties either side for other named terraces or pubs to narrow it down.

It is mentioned in the Bham Daily Post, 4 Jun 1869 in regards a lost dog - The Struggler, Guildford Street, Aston.
Thanks MWS, I'll keep looking.

I believe Lombardian Place was not a separate court, but a description of the line of houses in the street. This often occurred before proper street numbering was introduced, and can still occasionally be seen where it is displayed on the front of older houses. Also I think it would have been unusual for a beerhouse to have been in a court, rather than on the street frontage. George is listed in the Whites 1873 directory as a beerhouse, in Guildford st, between Clifford St and Denmark St.
Whites directory 1873.jpg
Peculiarly he is not listed as being in Lombardian Place,, but it can be seen that thereb are 6 other businesses which are so-listed. It can be seen from the1880s map that there is no court in that position, between Denmark and Clifford Street containing as many 6 houses and I think It is extremely unlikely that this would have been different in 1871.
In the PO 1876 directory George is not listed, but there is a beerhouse between Clifford and Denmark Streets, though not numbered. occupied by william Lewis.. However In the PO Directory 1878 Willam Lewis, beerhouse, is at no 116. I think it reasonable to conclude that George Littelwood's beerhouse is the same as William Lewis's beerhouse, and was at no 116 Guildford St

The 1880s and 1950s maps of the area are below:

map 1880s showing position of 116 Guildford St.jpgmap 1950s showing position of 116 Guildford St.jpg

• Appreciate
Many thanks for the explanation Mike,

Searching the 1871 census with his name gives the address but a street search for 1871 gives six
households with no mention of him.

George Littlewood.png

Not quite sure what you mean by street search giving 6 households with no mention of him. You have the page which lists him in Guildford St.

• Appreciate
Not quite sure what you mean by street search giving 6 households with no mention of him. You have the page which lists him in Guildford St.
The census says The Struggler , Lombardian Place. Which I found using address search here:

Lombardian place.png

Then looking at the 6 households of Lombardian place 'The Struggler' or George are not there.

Households.png
But you have already explained the reasons why, so thanks again Mike.

I use ancestry, where the search is a bit different. looked for aston and george littlewood and it came up

• Appreciate
Not needed now but the address is listed as Guildford Street The Struggler Lombardian Place, so separate from just GS LP.

• Appreciate
What happened to the Newt and Cucumber near the taxi rank/ramp in Bham centre? I visited Brum a few years ago and planned to pop in to have a drink but it had disappeared with a thoroughfare in its place!!

Can’t see any mention of this pub on the Forum.…The Broad, Spiceal Street (1924)
(In the index to the books it appears as Broad Vaults)

Central Birmingham pubs by McKenna, Joseph. Publication date 2006

E0AD882B-6068-4620-BA4F-9BAA690F7368.jpeg

Last edited:
Back