• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heathfield Road Handsworth

what a great photo viv..one i have not seen before..lovely to see the old shops on the right which of course would have been closer to the church than shows in todays shot (probably under the flyover)....i was baptised at holy trinity

lyn

Last edited:
I've just found this thread so a bit late coming to the party but I was born in Heathfield Rd Maternity Hospital too, and lived with my Mom in Hamstead Rd, in the front room of my Uncle and Aunt's flat. Hamstead Rd looks very smart now. I remember the trams coming up the middle of the road.

Edit. For those interested in Heathfield Maternity Home there is a thread using this link https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/heathfield-maternity-hospital.47910/
Even later to the party - I was born there too; we lived in Francis Street, Nechells, and I don't know to this day why I was born in Handsworth........

A scene that’s vastly changed, with only Trinity Church recognisable. Viv.

View attachment 168932View attachment 168933
I so remember that intersection, old view. I had a friend from Westminster Rd school that lived just out of view on the left. Sometimes we would play after school have a jam sandwich then I would take the bus to Villa Cross from the bus stop on the right. Sometimes I would keep the penny for a bun then walk home!
Long time ago!

This house/shop has been mentioned on the Villa Cross thread. The B&W photo dates to 1963. To its left, just in view, is the Villa Cross Cinema. It’s possible the original cast iron road sign is the same one still above the doorway. The cinema has gone and new residential buildings have replaced it, although I think they’re set further back than the original cinema footprint. We might have been able to detect a ghost sign on the wall of the alleyway, but it now seems to have had several years of paint applied. Looks a bit forlorn today compared to the days when it was part of a quaint terrace. Viv.

3F3137E9-7EDD-4884-89E5-B3E04A924852.jpeg7B1F24FD-448C-44CF-A9A5-FF8487141F52.jpeg

Last edited:
This house/shop has been mentioned on the Villa Cross thread. To its left just in view is the Villa Cross Cinema, The cinema has gone and new residential buildings have replaced it, although set back further than the original cinema footprint. Viv.

View attachment 171671View attachment 171672
The shop was owned by Mrs Brandt and was always visited on our way to the Saturday morning pictures at the Villa Cross! Or anytime wait for the bust to Perry Barr.

Must have done a roaring trade !

We have previously discussed the point about whether this was a listed building (on the Villa Cross thread), but came to the conclusion it isn’t. Seems strange to me that it’s still standing. Anyone know anything about it’s status ? Viv.

Absolutely Lyn and Richard. There must be a story behind it. Just guessing here, but if there was any road widening needed at this busy junction the house would be in the way. Even the new developments have been set back from the road when the original footprints of both the cottages and cinema must have been closer to Heathfield Road. Viv

The modern Streetview image in post #50 was taken 3 years ago. This was the view 3 months ago. The house now has a side gate and fencing leading to the rear. Looks more like a building with a future (although we know nothing is permanent when it comes to buildings). Viv.

7254C885-C014-4C3E-BF64-ED7E59B3085A.jpeg

Have been looking at past images showing the house through time which was either one of several terraced houses of Heathfield Terrace or adjoined to the Terrace. The red dot throughout is the house that’s still standing today. The 1963 image gives a good idea of what the terrace once looked like. The painted sign on the side of the shop was in 1950 an Ovaltine advert, this had been replaced with a different advert by the1980s (possibly a billboard) but all advertising is now completely obliterated. Viv.

BFF27D5B-0DF7-434A-A482-21C462098DA3.jpeg
D4DB54A2-3212-473E-8A8E-73A5797AC504.jpeg0D59B883-C32F-47C3-9693-3D108A084C54.jpegDB29836B-41CE-4A3B-B3A8-19A5E41CD4F1.jpegBF9B5DF5-77C3-4B7B-89AA-9FD485A139EF.jpeg08FADD78-C731-4B66-B752-E1C8E0FF68CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Have been looking at past images showing the house through time which was one of several terraced houses of Heathfield Terrace. The red dot throughout is the house that’s still standing today. The 1963 image gives a good idea of what the terrace once looked like. The painted sign on the side of the shop was in 1950 an Ovaltine advert, this had been replaced with a different advert by the1980s (possibly a billboard) but all advertising is now completely obliterated. Viv.

View attachment 171707
View attachment 171708View attachment 171710View attachment 171713View attachment 171712View attachment 171709
Viv, wonderful pics and memories!

Back