• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton By Shirley Kent Detective Novel set in 1945 now for sale on AMAZON....

HumbleBrummie

proper brummie kid

At last it is on Amazon !
Hello Brumies it is Shirley Kent here introducing my book WITTON. Witton is a fictional detective story set in Witton Aston in 1945. The enclosed pictures show the book. Inside I thank the Forum members for their help on several factual questions I asked. Checking on my own memory and being offered much more. This site is a wonderful place. I am hoping members may like a retro detective novel set in the area. It was a labour of love for me. But not without a lot of work. Just key in WITTON Shirley Kent to find the book. It is £10.99 post paid in UK. I have also put up a youtube film advertising it. I sing the 1944 classic 'Sentimental Journey' I don't think I can put a link in here. But again if you go to Youtube key in WITTON Shirley Kent to find it. As yet I don't have a publisher but looking out for one. Bless you all. Shirley

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 13
  • hhhh_edited-1 copy_edited-1.jpg
    hhhh_edited-1 copy_edited-1.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 13
Congratulations, that looks great :)

I should have recognised your name, I remember Ghost, Charlie Grima is an old friend of mine!
Thank you..., Charlie is great. Love him. Love all The Ghost boys. Our album a collectible now ! over a thousand to buy. Many thanks for getting in touch.

The illustration on the rear of the book looks like an impression of a photograph that has appeared on the Forum a couple of times. A rainy evening by the phone box outside the Aston Hotel.

At last it is on Amazon !
Hello Brumies it is Shirley Kent here introducing my book WITTON. Witton is a fictional detective story set in Witton Aston in 1945. The enclosed pictures show the book. Inside I thank the Forum members for their help on several factual questions I asked. Checking on my own memory and being offered much more. This site is a wonderful place. I am hoping members may like a retro detective novel set in the area. It was a labour of love for me. But not without a lot of work. Just key in WITTON Shirley Kent to find the book. It is £10.99 post paid in UK. I have also put up a youtube film advertising it. I sing the 1944 classic 'Sentimental Journey' I don't think I can put a link in here. But again if you go to Youtube key in WITTON Shirley Kent to find it. As yet I don't have a publisher but looking out for one. Bless you all. Shirley

Thank You Richard for the Appreciate ..

The illustration on the rear of the book looks like an impression of a photograph that has appeared on the Forum a couple of times. A rainy evening by the phone box outside the Aston Hotel.
It is a Keith Berry photograph...wonderful shot. I doctored it for the cover and back. I credit Keith in the opening pages of the book. I also thank The Forum members for their help as an aid to my own memory. And a police Heritage Officer I had read the book and gave some vital factual information.

Congratulations Shirley, hope it sells well. Will you be uploading an ebook option please?
It will be on Kindle.... I will be sorting that in next two days. Paperback £9.99 on Amazon and Ebay. Will let you know when on Kindle. Many Thanks Shirley

I have reposted the Keith Berry picture that was on the forum. I was born in Aston and lived in the area for many years, so the first chapters brought back many memories.

The Aston Hotel was the first pub I went in alone to buy a pint at about the age of 17. It was at lunchtime in the summer and an elderly barmaid took ages to pull a pint, she could only move the pump handle an inch or two and the pint was as flat as a pancake. Calling in a few times over the years you try to remember the interior of the bar and the lounges, but only now I realize that the exterior is so impressive. I remember on a couple of occasions reaching the Aston after queuing far up Wilton Road for semi-final tickets. How long will it take to get to the Holte ?

I remember going into that phone box a few times as a kid. What was the name of the Newsagent near the next corner ?

Jack walks down under the railway bridge….My mother was born in Manor Road just before the bridge, and during the war the house two doors away suffered a hit. Just before the bridge on the other side of the road was an entry where you could sneak up and watch the steam locomotives. I seem to remember seeing the Pines Express a few times ?

At this rate I should finish by Xmas.

6DE7A98A-173D-485E-BBE7-9CCD59242FBD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have reposted the Keith Berry picture that was on the forum. I was born in Aston and lived in the area for many years, so the first chapters brought back many memories.

The Aston Hotel was the first pub I went in alone to buy a pint at about the age of 17. It was at lunchtime in the summer and an elderly barmaid took ages to pull a pint, she could only move the pump handle an inch or two and the pint was as flat as a pancake. Calling in a few times over the years you try to remember the interior of the bar and the lounges, but only now I realize that the exterior is so impressive. I remember on a couple of occasions reaching the Aston after queuing far up Wilton Road for semi-final tickets. How long will it take to get to the Holte ?

I remember going into that phone box a few times as a kid. What was the name of the Newsagent near the next corner ?

Jack walks down under the railway bridge….My mother was born in Manor Road just before the bridge, and during the war the house two doors away suffered a hit. Just before the bridge on the other side of the road was an entry where you could sneak up and watch the steam locomotives. I seem to remember seeing the Pines Express a few times ?

At this rate I should finish by Xmas.

View attachment 171669
My adopted Mom and Dad lived in Manor Road for a while, as did my Birth Mother. I knew Witton well as my Dad's Mother lived in Witton Road. The Keith Berry photograph is iconic. I had to take out the modern street lighting for the cover of the book. As I think he took it in the 1960s. It was a great place in our day.

I remember the Bookie in Manor Road, Charlie Woodward ? You could drop a bet with the money wrapped up inside it into a wooden box just inside the gate.

Map from...http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/
Map only goes to Clifton Road...not down to Six Ways. But covers Witton and a lot more.

Last edited:
Back