• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park Congregational Church

brenda barr

master brummie
l have just come across my baptismal card, and was shocked to see l was baptised at Aston Park Congregational church.......always thought l was baptised at Aston Church.....l was married there as were my parents....now has anyone have a picture of this church?? l think it was in Park Road but not sure...being as it was nearly 75years ago l have no one to ask why l was baptised at this church.........Brenda

Hi again Brenda: I just noticed that there is a Contact in the menu on the left hand side of the above site. If no one on the Forum comes up with a photo perhaps you could see if they have one.

Brenda I found some of your family at Key Hill which would probably mean they were non conformist which would be the connection to this Church. Very often non conformists were married in Church of England because the marriage would not be seen as legal if it was in a non conformist chaple or church.

Jennyann,thank you so much for all your information, that was certainly good readng on the history of Aston Park Congregational Church, l have alreadly e-mailed them so who knows maybe they will have a church picture in their archives,.....l know my mom and dad met at a PSA (pleasant sunday afternoon) in victoria road, mom sang in aston church choir and dad attended the Weslyan Methodist in victoria rd....so maybe this PSA was for the youth of the surrounding churches.....once again thank you...Brenda

Wendy as you know the Barr family were definatly non conformist, the Barrs who are at Key Hill,were very active in the Weslyan Methodists Churchs, l know David Barr was very dedicated etc also l understand he was active in the begining of the Labour Unions ....wish l could get David Barrs Book,as he wrote about his faith and the beginning of the labour movement......being a non conformist it is hard to get any info on them.....Brenda ...once again Wendy thank you

Hello Brenda I've got my spies out about your church but I can't remember it. My mother and father were married in Aston Church and six of us kids were Christened there in the twenties and thirties. Somewhere in the back of my mind there is a church you speak of, but it was rather nonedescript and sort of melted into its surroundings. It's a very faint memory though so I could be talking through my earoles with mi gansy pulled up ower mi 'ead. Kind regards, David. Australia.

hi brenda
yes you are correct it was at thje top of park rd aston just yards from victoria rd junction
as i remember it and it was a white stone in colour built church
and it was more or less taking the corner of upper portland street whjich was the rear of the victoria rd police station and the police house next door
also if my memory serves me correctly there was a picture of it in a sunday mercury news paper around the year of 1953 4 years
around the 1956 era they did put up a a big fence around the church as it was an orional open front church all around the grounds as well it was avery nice looking church
i myself along with a friend and neibour and my two brothers sang at the aston parish church forther down the rd
as i said iot did back on to the victoria police station yard where they kept the stables for police horses
have yourself a nice day to each andeverybody else as well astonion

That's very interesting Astonian especially the information about it's location and the photo in the paper.

Hi Brenda: I have just realised that there is a photo of Aston Congregational Church on John Houghton's excellent Aston site. Here is the link directly to the Church section: https://astonhistory.net/id83.html There are also some wonderful photos of the inside of Aston Parish Church and a little story I wrote about an unusual visit I had several years ago.

Jennyann, thank you so much l had looked at the church site but l guess l overlooked that picture.....as many times l walked down Park Road l can'nt ever remember seeing that church.....maybe it was because l always turned left off Victoria Road very rarely made a right towards Aston Cross, AACC looks a whole lot larger than l thought,how sad so many churches have been demolished with all the memories with them also.....still wonder why l was'nt baptised at Aston Church!!!.....l 'm sure there is a story behind it all which l will never know.....why did'nt we ask more questions when our parents were living.The pictures of the interior of Aston Church are real good, on my visits" home " l usually end up visiting Aston Church and have quite a few pictures of the alter etc and also having found out my GT/uncle is on the WW1 memorial l managed to get a picture of that......once again Jenny thank you a bunch Brenda

Back