• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metropolitan Cammel sportsground

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The Metro Cammel sports ground on Coleshill Road, Ward End was the venue for many inter Works and schools football matches as well as gymkhanas. Difficult to give a date for this postcard. Is the ground still there? Viv.

512CF5C2-F2D7-4FC6-8C23-24BA78FB14A5.jpeg

Thanks Pete. It looks to me (on Streetview) that the building has gone. Looks like accommodation at either end of the changing rooms. Perhaps that was for groundsmen. Seems almost excessive for a sports ground. Viv.

Thanks Pete. It looks to me (on Streetview) that the building has gone. Looks like accommodation at either end of the changing rooms. Perhaps that was for groundsmen. Seems almost excessive for a sports ground. Viv.
yes it is a large ground. mostly they play football now on it now... shame it was a good club.

Yes, I recall the Magnet Club for the GEC had the social club and a sports ground too on the site.

Oh yes, of course. Metro Cammel would have used the accommodation for work’s events too. Most large organisations had these facilities. Thanks, Viv.

This 1969 advert includes mention of the Social Club too. Viv.

Attachments

• 9E400271-924E-45B5-AC19-BC385E5C177B.jpeg
    9E400271-924E-45B5-AC19-BC385E5C177B.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 6
All in the complex that's Holly Lane Sports and Social Club now. It started off with HP Sauce ground at Grange Road then the Delta Metals pitches right through to the Gas Ground at Woodacre Road. None of those pitches now belong to the original occupants.

Hi Viv,

It was also the company Sports and Social Club.
The accomodation at one end of the building was for the Groundsman, and at the other
end was for the Club Steward.
Looking at the building from the road, the house on the left side was the Steward's, and the
Groundsman's was at the other end next to the car park and bowling greens.

Kind regards
Dave

Back