• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley College

wendyP

master brummie
Saltley Teachers Training College (St. Peters) was closed in the 60's I think. Then it was turned into flats and they were lovely, with the main hall used as a communal lounge. I actually worked there in the offices and got to look round the flats etc. It is a listed building so the upkeep of them was very expensive as you had to do everything in keeping with the building.
Whilst I worked there they had annual meetings for the "old boys" of St. Peters. I wonder how many are still out there.
The Rosary Catholic school was opposite.

Saltley Teachers Training College (St. Peters) was closed in the 60's I think. Then it was turned into flats and they were lovely, with the main hall used as a communal lounge. I actually worked there in the offices and got to look round the flats etc. It is a listed building so the upkeep of them was very expensive as you had to do everything in keeping with the building.
Whilst I worked there they had annual meetings for the "old boys" of St. Peters. I wonder how many are still out there.

Hi Harry:
Not sure if this is the school you are looking for. On Bill Dargue's web site there is reference to and a photo of St. Peter's College, Saltley and in the
description is a few sentences about St. Peter's having it's own school in Bridge Road, Saltley. Here is the web site: https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-a/adderley-park/. You will have to scroll down the page a bit to see this.

Hi Wendy,

I think Saltley Teachers Training College closed in the late 70s. I remember their playing fields off Flaxley Road, Stechford. It was where Rudyngfield Drive and Fellbrook Close now are.

Did you work in the Housing Association offices on site?

Hi Wendy,

I think Saltley Teachers Training College closed in the late 70s. I remember their playing fields off Flaxley Road, Stechford. It was where Rudyngfield Drive and Fellbrook Close now are.

I found this old picture, if it helps.

Attachments

• ST PETERS 2.jpg
    ST PETERS 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11
St Peter's College was used by Aston University during the 1980s for accommodation purposes. My husband was part of the team of Porters employed there. It was such a lovely building - I spent a Sunday there keeping my husband company in the 'Porter's Lodge' when he was on one of his shifts.

The picture of the College posted by Postie is as I remember it - I also have a picture postcard of the College which I will have to find now........

Anthea

Hi Wendy,

St Peter’s teachers training college closed in 1978. I worked in the library there 1973 unti its closure in June/July 1978. It was a lovely place to work as you completely forgot that you were in Saltley - especially when the cherry trees were in bloom.

St Peter's College was used by Aston University during the 1980s for accommodation purposes. My husband was part of the team of Porters employed there. It was such a lovely building - I spent a Sunday there keeping my husband company in the 'Porter's Lodge' when he was on one of his shifts.

The picture of the College posted by Postie is as I remember it - I also have a picture postcard of the College which I will have to find now........

Anthea
I worked there from 1973 until its closure in 1978. It was a lovely place to work. The cherry trees were beautiful. Did anyone dare set foot on The Holy Acre the grass by the Porters Lodge?

There is a strong St Peter's College forum group on Facebook for anyone interested. It is called the Old Salts' Association and is run by John Hyslop. The annual reunions are well attended.

Hi Harry:
Not sure if this is the school you are looking for. On Bill Dargue's web site there is reference to and a photo of St. Peter's College, Saltley and in the
description is a few sentences about St. Peter's having it's own school in Bridge Road, Saltley. Here is the web site: https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-a/adderley-park/. You will have to scroll down the page a bit to see this.
I was at Saltley College with Bill Dargue; good to know he's still around and active. Haven't seen him for years..........

I was at Saltley College with Bill Dargue; good to know he's still around and active. Haven't seen him for years..........
Hi. Interestingly my dad was a pupil at the school run by St Peter's before the war and then I went to the college to train to be a teacher in the 70's

A couple of the College. Sorry I don't have any dates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_190656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_190656_Chrome.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231113_190622_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_190622_Chrome.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 10
Hi Graham, what year was this? My Dad (Bill Harrison) trained at St Peters in the late 1960's. He moved from Widnes to attend the college.

Back