• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dudley road

The photo on this thread is not the same as the other one. This one shows the top of Cape Hill whereas the other thread picture is the junction of Dudley Road with the bottom of Cape Hill i.e. by the Grove Cinema (now a bathroom showroom). This one shows the "Seven Stars" facing (on Waterloo Road junction ) and Marsh and Baxter's used to be on the right of the picture. The "Waterloo" was on another other corner.
My husband was born on Dudley Road and there weren't four pubs as far as he knows, the one he remembers is the "Yorkshire Grey".
The nearest Municipal Bank was on Sandon Road as far as I remember.
rosie.

The photo on this thread is not the same as the other one. This one shows the top of Cape Hill whereas the other thread picture is the junction of Dudley Road with the bottom of Cape Hill i.e. by the Grove Cinema (now a bathroom showroom). This one shows the "Seven Stars" facing (on Waterloo Road junction ) and Marsh and Baxter's used to be on the right of the picture. The "Waterloo" was on another other corner.
My husband was born on Dudley Road and there weren't four pubs as far as he knows, the one he remembers is the "Yorkshire Grey".
The nearest Municipal Bank was on Sandon Road as far as I remember.
rosie.[/QUOTE

I was born in Dudley Road Hospital, January 1947, my dad was in the City Police, he said the snow drifts were up to 20' high and nothing was running. He would walk from Steel house Lane to the hospital and back> Paul

I was born in Dudley Rd Hospital at 1.50am . my mother worked there as a cleaner a few years later and remembers when they used leeches in the operating theatres .

Hi There,

Could anyone help me with some research I'm trying to do for my family tree please?

I am trying to locate information about a family called Fletcher, who lived in Winson Green circa 1900-1930. Daniel Fletcher was my Great-grandfather, and his father (Richard) had a Furntiure business on Dudley Road - or so I am told. Does anyone have any recollection of this - or of the family? Any help would be very gratefully welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

Paul
My Grandmother Wilhelmina Mitchell lived on Dudley Road above the Radio Shop where she worked and across from the Fletcher's Furniture Store in 1936-37. She was best friends with Eve Fletcher the daughter of Richard. Then she moved to Ramsgate and then London.
LynnH

The Dudley Road Levelling-Up scheme.

Doubtless this will include things like parking restrictions and bus lanes, further restricting access to shops along the route. Why not extend the Metro along here and ban all other traffic, as they have done in Bull Street and Corporation Street?

Maybe he was a passenger of the car. Looks like he jumped out from the passenger side for a quick ‘snap’ and left the passenger door open ! Or more realistically maybe he transported his equipment on the passenger seat. Viv

I was also going to comment on the pedestrian crossing, then noticed I had already done so 10 years ago in post #4!

Back