• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scanning a QR code is simple even on my not very expensive Moto but are they safe?
The scan I mentioned showed what the QR code was pointing to and I then had to decide whether to open the website it linked to. I have had QR codes from the NHS and gone directly to them without checking. If it is a QR code from something purchased and on the item or packaging then it is generally safe.

I’m not sure if this has been posted before, apologise if it has. My wife had a message today informing her she had been in contact with someone who has tested positive for covid. She needed to test immediately and had to purchase a test kit. We contacted our daughter who is a nurse. She looked into this and informed us it’s a scam. Just thought I’d pass this on.

In the USA we get them all, as we are now well into our 80s they? try everything, one thing now we get on Facebook is a message saying "how are you?" then they go on and on making us believe that they are a close friend? then they pitch you with"did you know you can $50k FREE from the US Government all you have to do is answer a few questions!" HaHa! Of course, you have to give them your Social security# and your bank info, so they can wire it to your bank account!

In the USA we get them all, as we are now well into our 80s they? try everything, one thing now we get on Facebook is a message saying "how are you?" then they go on and on making us believe that they are a close friend? then they pitch you with"did you know you can $50k FREE from the US Government all you have to do is answer a few questions!" HaHa! Of course, you have to give them your Social security# and your bank info, so they can wire it to your bank account!
and the serious site to this old brit is that some people are actually taken in by these scams

lyn

And John if the DO get caught, all they get is a slap on the hand!

and the serious site to this old brit is that some people are actually taken in by these scams
The cost of sending an email or social media message is too small to be any consideration at all, and the reach is global. Send 100,000 messages keeping the scam value low. People will bang the table and put it down to experience, but not take it further. Perhaps below 100 dollars, pounds, euros, shekels whatever. That is a potential 10 million value hit. Now take your 'some people'. How about 0.1% who fall for it. That's a payback of 10,000. Too high a scam value ? Try 10 instead of 100 value. Now you have 1000 return. Too many careless people, try 0.01%. Now you only have 100 value in your bank. That's too low, so send more messages, it doesn't cost you, back up to 1000 in your bank in no time. How much do you earn per key click on your computer ? It does not take many clicks to do that job.
Andrew.

today i bought some thing of amazon.next thing there was a email saying thanks for joining prime. i never did join. it took nearly a hour to cancel. i had to phone them in the end,grrrrrrrr.

Pete
I guess you saw against the item "free delivery". If you, quite understandably" ticked it ,it was because it did not make it clear that this meant you were taking out a trialm sunscription , which , after a month , meant you had to pay.
It happened to me. But I found it quite easy to cancel, and still got free delivery , and I gather could have done for a month.

Pete
I guess you saw against the item "free delivery". If you, quite understandably" ticked it ,it was because it did not make it clear that this meant you were taking out a trialm sunscription , which , after a month , meant you had to pay.
It happened to me. But I found it quite easy to cancel, and still got free delivery , and I gather could have done for a month.
more than likely did mike i did try to cancel it mike but ended up going round in circles. i could not find a dedicated cancel button, some how i do not think they like you to cancel it.

today i bought some thing of amazon.next thing there was a email saying thanks for joining prime. i never did join. it took nearly a hour to cancel. i had to phone them in the end,grrrrrrrr.
Regular occurrence on Amazon, conned into Prime membership, next time it happens wait until you get to the checkout, there is an option to go for charged or special delivery options without Prime. Alf.C

Regular occurrence on Amazon, conned into Prime membership, next time it happens wait until you get to the checkout, there is an option to go for charged or special delivery options without Prime. Alf.C
i will put me goggles on next time so i can see the small print on there so i dont get conned again.

more than likely did mike i did try to cancel it mike but ended up going round in circles. i could not find a dedicated cancel button, some how i do not think they like you to cancel it.
Pete, they don’t even like you to return a defect. We ordered something for a grandchild that was defective, they approved the return and ordered a replacement. Now there were two charges on our card. It took two weeks of chatting and finally insisting on speaking to someone. They did credit our account after a lot (too much) effort In three more weeks!

Pete, they don’t even like you to return a defect. We ordered something for a grandchild that was defective, they approved the return and ordered a replacement. Now there were two charges on our card. It took two weeks of chatting and finally insisting on speaking to someone. They did credit our account after a lot (too much) effort In three more weeks!
i did notice that Richard they sure make it complicated to print a return label and to chat with a live person instead of a robot. once they were ok but now grrrrrrrrrrr

i did notice that Richard they sure make it complicated to print a return label and to chat with a live person instead of a robot. once they were ok but now grrrrrrrrrrr
It is easier here. they have drop off places where they scan the return authorization off your phone and that's it. No packing or printing!

That's happened to me because I opted for the next day free delivery. It's sneaky of them. If I recall, I was able to cancel Prime very quickly by putting up my account page and deselecting it. If you choose the delayed, free delivery, you can avoid Prime and the goods usually arrive within a few days anyway, even if they're promised for ten days or so.

I use Amazon Kindle so I get emails suggesting other books that I might want to read. That does not bother me too much. However a few months ago they offered me six different books by different authors telling me how to cancel me Amazon account.

good job you were not be tempted to click on it you might have had one hell of a surprise. a empty bank account:mad:

i bought a new pair of boots from the dreaded fleebay. when they arrived they were 2 sizes too small. so i had to send them back, it cost me £5 to return them,which was deducted off the refund, i wonder how many £5 they have made by doing this to customers,selling them boots over and over again grrrrrrr.

i bought a new pair of boots from the dreaded fleebay. when they arrived they were 2 sizes too small. so i had to send them back, it cost me £5 to return them,which was deducted off the refund, i wonder how many £5 they have made by doing this to customers,selling them boots over and over again grrrrrrr.
Pete, all of these companies make a ton off shipping, Amazon particularly. I have a friend who owns a small therapeutic device company that is all mail order. His negotiated rates with shippers is less than half what he charges.
That’s why Amazon is in the shipping business!

Pete, all of these companies make a ton off shipping, Amazon particularly. I have a friend who owns a small therapeutic device company that is all mail order. His negotiated rates with shippers is less than half what he charges.
I was under the impression that if goods are faulty or not as described, (incorrect size delivered are not as described) the can be returned at the dealers expense. The dealer should provide you with a preprinted label. To affix to the parcel.

British auction houses are absolute rip off merchants in their P & P charges. Sometimes these charges can nearly equal the hammer price thereby doubling the costs of the item bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back