• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

newtown row shops

Also at the junction of Asylum Road/Bracebridge Street, the building numbers changed direction i.e. from Six Ways to Asylum Road they increased but from Asylum Road towards city centre they decreased.

Attachments

• asylum-rd-map.jpg
    asylum-rd-map.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 15
Coincidentally, I had a "disagreement" with someone on FB about this same question. A picture of the House That Jack Built was posted, prompting a response that it was on Newtown Row. I replied that it was on High St Aston, which started at Asylum Rd, Aston Brook/Bracebridge St junction and ended at Six Ways. As mentioned here, High St, at least up to Barton's Arms, was known as Newtown Row, or just "The Row". From the Bartons up to Six Ways, High St was commonly known as the Monkey Run.
Dave A

As I wrote last year, when I uploaded the Six Ways video, I've made some panoramic image videos of Aston using public domain photos. I did this for my kids & Grandkids to see what it was like for me growing up. This one of "Newtown Row" shops in High St was a bit trickier. Using research and other images, I still had to "make up" some sections myself.

As I wrote last year, when I uploaded the Six Ways video, I've made some panoramic image videos of Aston using public domain photos. I did this for my kids & Grandkids to see what it was like for me growing up. This one of "Newtown Row" shops in High St was a bit trickier. Using research and other images, I still had to "make up" some sections myself.
Excellent work Banjo, love the sound effects and the occasional horn.

Brilliant - like going back in a time warp!!

Outstanding Banjo! This is deja vue for me. Many many thanks!

Thank you all for the comments. I should have added that my Dad was a barman at the Waggon & Horses in 1959. I spent many a Saturday afternoon in the snug after it had closed waiting for my Dad to finish. Most times, enjoying a Monk's pork pie and a glass of pop.

Thank you all for the comments. I should have added that my Dad was a barman at the Waggon & Horses in 1959. I spent many a Saturday afternoon in the snug after it had closed waiting for my Dad to finish. Most times, enjoying a Monk's pork pie and a glass of pop.
very good chance your dad served our dad then banjo...what a great area that was for shopping and the pubs of course...and now look at it..desolate;)

lyn

i
I don't see any image or thumbnail. Would like to see photo!
images posted before about november 2010 were lost due to the forum being hacked...since then many have been reposted but that depends on whether the original posters are still members...

lyn

very good chance your dad served our dad then banjo...what a great area that was for shopping and the pubs of course...and now look at it..desolate;)

lyn
So very true Lyn. My home patch roughly covered Six Ways to Asylum Rd and Victoria Rd/Potters Hill through to Wheeler St. Apart from the Barton Arms, the Shareholders pub building (wedding reception in 1967), St Paul's church and my old Gower St school building on Lozells Rd, absolutely everything else has gone!

So very true Lyn. My home patch roughly covered Six Ways to Asylum Rd and Victoria Rd/Potters Hill through to Wheeler St. Apart from the Barton Arms, the Shareholders pub building (wedding reception in 1967), St Paul's church and my old Gower St school building on Lozells Rd, absolutely everything else has gone!
hi banjo i take it that would have been the new build shareholders not the original pub

lyn

do not think so mac...i think some time ago it was used as a storage place but it looks abandoned now...below todays st view..a friend of mine worked as a barmaid there for a few years

lyn

do not think so mac...i think some time ago it was used as a storage place but it looks abandoned now...below todays st view..a friend of mine worked as a barmaid there for a few years

lyn

My word it looks ready for demolition , Pat Brennan had that for a while after he left M&B's he put some work into that pub , looking at it now makes you wonder if it was all worth it . When it was a Ansells house an ex manager said to me about a pub wer were talking about if Mr Brennan wouldn't take it on it must be bad ., just look at this now . What a shame

My word it looks ready for demolition , Pat Brennan had that for a while after he left M&B's he put some work into that pub , looking at it now makes you wonder if it was all worth it . When it was a Ansells house an ex manager said to me about a pub wer were talking about if Mr Brennan wouldn't take it on it must be bad ., just look at this now . What a shame
i believe pat brennan was instrumental in the revival of the old crown at digbeth

Last edited:
Yes Lyn, the building that is there today was the Shareholders in 1967. Not sure when the original pub was demolished.
hi bango yes i knew that...what i meant was was it the new shareholders where you had your wedding reception...cant be certain but i think the original one would have been demolished late 50s early 60s but thats only a guess..

lyn

hi bango yes i knew that...what i meant was was it the new shareholders where you had your wedding reception...cant be certain but i think the original one would have been demolished late 50s early 60s but thats only a guess..

lyn
Sorry about confusion, it was the new Shareholders where our wedding reception was held in Feb 1967.

Back