• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Adderley & Cherrywood Schools

Not the same Taylor family as I knew then as I know there were no brother's only the three girls. How are you Ash Brown? Haven't been in contact for a while.
Hi Sue I do not look on the site very often however when I saw the name Taylor I thought it may have been the Gillian who was in my class at Adderley and she had a younger brother named Michael.Trust you and your family have been ok during these strange covid times

I attended Shawhill 1963-1968 and Cherrywood,1968-72,Cherrywood was definitely a mixed school throughout the entire 1960's..Their were three Head Teachers in my time there..Mr Griffin..Ray Tennant and Mr Parker...Various Teachers over my four years were: Mr Kear ( Art )..Penzer..Palfreyman ( nicknamed "Polly )..Miss Oldbury ( Auntie Oggles )..Mr Hughes ( Maths and AKA Ugsy)..Miss Henry (Geography ) Mr Bates ( Woodwork )..Mr Gwinnett (Music )...Mr Murphy..Mr Allen..Mr Galloway...Various Gym Teachers were...Miss Morgan..Mr Horrocks..Mr Dewings..and Mr Ayling...I found this old pic of some kids from Cherrywood School from about 1964 /65 and ( Hopefully managed to post it )..I was at Cherrywood from 1968 till 1972,so its just before my time..maybe some of our members are on this pic and can fill in the missing names??..........Back Row-Judith Scott-????Jennifer Odell-Roy Edwards-Roger Banks-John Shaw-Roger Davis-Middle Row-Hazel Bache-Denise Mason-Avis McIndoe?-Pauline Studholme-Sandra Merrel-Christine Parr-Michael Newport-?-Ray Barnett-David Eades-Stanely Jonstone-Peter Griffiths-Reginald Pink-Front Row-John Hughes-Paul Collier-Brian Bennett-Dougy Hall-Dennis Cotton-Wally White-John Kelson-jock?
i was at Cherrywood at the same time as yourself - 68-72 - There was also Miss Cheeney (needlework) Mr and Mrs Jones (english) Mr Gwinnett was my form teacher he was a really great and laid back teacher, I met him many years later managing a community project. - Mrs Cheeney was also very kind - she used to let me use the needlework room during breaks, i was into making clothes big time. I used to like Mr Hughes - Maths - even though he would throw the black board rubber at my friend and I for talking in class- The Cherrywood Disco was every Friday and the classroom was turned into a kind of coffee bar/ there was one teacher that sticks in my mind -he looked like "Jason king" cant remember his name I think he was science after Palfrey - i used to dread his lessons, he was hard going. - Miss Oldbury was rather quick and handy with the old ruler across the hand for the girls,

I remember Mr Hughes very well, also Miss Oldbury (RE). Was Mr Tennant Head when you were there. Miss (or Mrs Bush used to take us for Needlework. Mr Jackson used to take us for English, he was also our Form Master in 3rd year. How about Mr. Matthews for Geography?

i was at Cherrywood at the same time as yourself - 68-72 - There was also Miss Cheeney (needlework) Mr and Mrs Jones (english) Mr Gwinnett was my form teacher he was a really great and laid back teacher, I met him many years later managing a community project. - Mrs Cheeney was also very kind - she used to let me use the needlework room during breaks, i was into making clothes big time. I used to like Mr Hughes - Maths - even though he would throw the black board rubber at my friend and I for talking in class- The Cherrywood Disco was every Friday and the classroom was turned into a kind of coffee bar/ there was one teacher that sticks in my mind -he looked like "Jason king" cant remember his name I think he was science after Palfrey - i used to dread his lessons, he was hard going. - Miss Oldbury was rather quick and handy with the old ruler across the hand for the girls,

I attended Shawhill 1963-1968 and Cherrywood,1968-72,Cherrywood was definitely a mixed school throughout the entire 1960's..Their were three Head Teachers in my time there..Mr Griffin..Ray Tennant and Mr Parker...Various Teachers over my four years were: Mr Kear ( Art )..Penzer..Palfreyman ( nicknamed "Polly )..Miss Oldbury ( Auntie Oggles )..Mr Hughes ( Maths and AKA Ugsy)..Miss Henry (Geography ) Mr Bates ( Woodwork )..Mr Gwinnett (Music )...Mr Murphy..Mr Allen..Mr Galloway...Various Gym Teachers were...Miss Morgan..Mr Horrocks..Mr Dewings..and Mr Ayling...I found this old pic of some kids from Cherrywood School from about 1964 /65 and ( Hopefully managed to post it )..I was at Cherrywood from 1968 till 1972,so its just before my time..maybe some of our members are on this pic and can fill in the missing names??..........Back Row-Judith Scott-????Jennifer Odell-Roy Edwards-Roger Banks-John Shaw-Roger Davis-Middle Row-Hazel Bache-Denise Mason-Avis McIndoe?-Pauline Studholme-Sandra Merrel-Christine Parr-Michael Newport-?-Ray Barnett-David Eades-Stanely Jonstone-Peter Griffiths-Reginald Pink-Front Row-John Hughes-Paul Collier-Brian Bennett-Dougy Hall-Dennis Cotton-Wally White-John Kelson-jock?

Back