• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Next up is another location I am not sure of but I am sure those with the "books" will be able to locate The Brandwood Printing Co. Ltd. Fine Corporation Dust cart, and double parked in front a Ford Zephyr, whose number plate is from Dudley not the "O" prefix of the other vehicle. Nice van coming towards us and the back of a Morris Minor ( is that a Hillman disappearing to there right?) I like the street lamp and the iron framed windows of the buildings also.

View attachment 169907
Is it a "Consul". Doesn't look enough chrome for a "Zephyr".

I have another selection of slides for you, I do not know the location but I am sure it will be familiar to someone. Firstly can I apologies for the standard of the image it a rather dirty slide and not much to see there a re a few lorries and a van coming down the road and a fine selection of enamel signs above the shop in the road. There is some nice brickwork on the buildings too especially the one with the clock tower. It would be a timeless image if it was not for the high rise flats appearing in the background!.

View attachment 169906
Is it somewhere near Duddeston/Vauxhall?

Is it somewhere near Duddeston/Vauxhall?
Looks like it might be somewhere on the Inner Circle bus route - I thought maybe the Newtown / Aston area but I don't really recognise it.
The company name board on the far Victorian building is David ..something, I can't quite read the surname!

Looks like it might be somewhere on the Inner Circle bus route - I thought maybe the Newtown / Aston area but I don't really recognise it.
The company name board on the far Victorian building is David ..something, I can't quite read the surname!

Is it not Bloomsbury Library, Nechells?

Another street view of an unknown location but a line of brick built industrial buildings make it look the era that it is, sorry forgot to say I don't have years for these either. Rather smart sign for Prescott on the right may help, apart from that there are not many clues. Blockage in the road caused by a delivery and the load on the other lorry is in packing cases by the look of it. Fine car on the right and another Dudley number plate on the left. A look at the window and door frames sees a wide variety of style.

View attachment 169908
I'm fairly certain that the Prescott building is Prescott Manufacturing at Nos. 67 & 69 Spencer Street (stampings & pressings).

Attachments

• spencer-st-aerial-1937.jpg
    spencer-st-aerial-1937.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 23
For some reason I have two photos of this location this is the wider shot. We have the window cleaner with his ladders on a little barrow in the middle then from the left , two story brick building which seems to be behind the gate, next to it is an imposing white(ish) building with a large bow window on the side and a wide variety of window styles on the front, with a few steps up to the entrance. A row of rather dour building with the same style to them and the building on the left has corrugated iron to the ground floor windows. You can just make out an unusual street lamp , its base is to the rear of the motorcycle. Not many vehicles but the red car on the left - a ford? looks great. A Ford Popular is on the left and we can just make out the old bus stop across the road.

View attachment 169909
Those look quite large double fronted houses, they all have some windows bricked up when the window tax came in

Well I thought " Ill add a few photos" noticed its been weeks since I was last on the forum - where does time go !!
Hope you are all well.

So back to the 60's / 70's - dates are always a bit vague - from the street sign this is Sherlock street and a classic bank from that time, to the extreme right are the wheels of a cart and we have a zebra crossing and a few waiting signs, weekend - none of this weekend opening in those days. Also note the front of the car on the extreme left - a challenger to identify for someone.

Test287 .jpg

next is Smithfield House which I was tempted to drop into the then and now post
The changing face of Smithfield House in Digbeth from the 1950's up to date.

View attachment 132837

same waiting sign and lamp post, love the old style traffic lights and the variety of cars on the surrounding Street. shows the number of uses it has had over the years, and what a quiet area it used to be
Test288.jpg

Apologies for the vegetarians, but a glimpse of how the meat was traded 40 years ago, meat left out while a man brushes up - dust spread no doubt - no freezer or chiller, other meat seems to be hanging in the background - the gent has no overalls , and no nod to health and hygiene, chains, scales and a variety of hooks all hanging.
Note the company signs on the wall and the open ceiling.

Test291.jpg

Apologies for the vegetarians, but a glimpse of how the meat was traded 40 years ago, meat left out while a man brushes up - dust spread no doubt - no freezer or chiller, other meat seems to be hanging in the background - the gent has no overalls , and no nod to health and hygiene, chains, scales and a variety of hooks all hanging.

View attachment 171083
thought provoking photo steve ...having said that its the way life was back then

lyn

Again no apology for lack of location or date but an interesting image - a gathering of council officials - there is a car with a crest at the side of the road and people gathered by front door to watch if happening at the pile of dirt in front of their houses.
The children are looking on I like the way they are dressed, most lads have a woolen jumper and a jacket and shorts and the girls dresses - no one seems to have trousers.

Test331 1.jpg

View attachment 171083
Steve
Do I take it that the photo is not Birmingham? Kellys for 1973 does not list a Swift as a butc her there, though admitedly this is a bit earlier than 40 years ago

Again no apology for lack of location or date but an interesting image - a gathering of council officials - there is a car with a crest at the side of the road and people gathered by front door to watch if happening at the pile of dirt in front of their houses.
The children are looking on I like the way they are dressed, most lads have a woolen jumper and a jacket and shorts and the girls dresses - no one seems to have trousers.

View attachment 171084
fascinating photo steve....couple of ladies chatting outside the entry on the right..maybe a loaf of bread on the window sill...unless someone recognises themselves i would say almost impossible to know its location....

lyn

View attachment 171083
There was a Swift and Company Ltd, meat importers Birmingham in 1928

Steve
Do I take it that the photo is not Birmingham? Kellys for 1973 does not list a Swift as a butc her there, though admitedly this is a bit earlier than 40 years ago
Never crossed my mind that it could be anywhere else !! I have another image which has F.M.C ( Meat) Limited ( too many dead animals on that one) does that help place it?

FMC was a large firm that had places everywhere. I'm not saying it was not Birmingham, but remember a photo I took of gasholders and found which I assumed was Birmingham and we later worked out it must have been Norwich, which I had not thought of.
I checked, and indeed the firm is not present in the 1973 Kellys. However it is listed in the 1972 Kellys under "meat salesmen". at 14,15,16 , 23 and 24 at City meat market.. Thinking about it though, the photo looks a bit modern for the old market, and the "new" market may not have been complete in 1973 . I'm not certain about that

View attachment 171084
The fellow on the right reminds me of Councillor Ernie Bond, but really not sure, it's a long time ago. He was involved with B'ham Fed of Boy's Clubs. I met him at Wenman St club in Balsall Heath early 60's.

This is The Woodman Albert Street , it is a good picture to zoom in on for the cigars by the till and all the old drink names and bottles.and note the Ansells Clock above the scarf. About the scarf from Wiki:
The 1975 Football League Cup Final took place on 1 March 1975 at Wembley Stadium. It was contested between Aston Villa and Norwich City. To date it is the only major domestic Cup Final played at Wembley Stadium between two clubs outside the top-flight. Aston Villa won 1–0, to claim their second League Cup final victory. Ray Graydon scored the only goal of the game
Hello,
Fabulous saving of the photos!
I‘m getting a bit confused about Birmingham pubs called The Woodman. This says The Woodman Albert Street, and there is another thread about The Woodman Duddestone Row. Are these two different pubs or has the street name changed historically?
Harriet

Back