• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just found

Kevrina

proper brummie kid
Might be of interest to someone ?

Attachments

• 0AD0374B-B6AC-4789-B674-8B8FCE4FB05F.jpeg
    0AD0374B-B6AC-4789-B674-8B8FCE4FB05F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • AFE65F98-7D35-439B-914E-5F4E6BCFBD67.jpeg
    AFE65F98-7D35-439B-914E-5F4E6BCFBD67.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Hi Kevrina,

That's a weird address. Lea Hall Road is neither in South Yardley or Birmingham 26, it is in Birmingham 33, Kitts Green,
Stechford, Lea Hall etc, and South Yardley is Birmingham 25. BUT, is the picture that old that the districts may
have changed? Any idea of the age of the photo perhaps?

Kind regards
Dave

From 1945 to1952 there was a John Quinney listed on the online electoral rolls at 156 Lea Hall road

Hi Kevrina,

That's a weird address. Lea Hall Road is neither in South Yardley or Birmingham 26, it is in Birmingham 33, Kitts Green,
Stechford, Lea Hall etc, and South Yardley is Birmingham 25. BUT, is the picture that old that the districts may

Kind regards
Dave
South Yardley used to be Birmingham 25A until Kitts Green sorting office opened in Crossfield Road, next to the bus depot.

Hi Kevrina,

Kind regards
Dave
This Postal district map, published in 1935, shows Lea Hall Road in South Yardley. At this time it doesn't show a postal district number. Maybe not yet allocated. I grew up in Sheldon and it always had the P.O. district B26.P1010511.JPG

Hi Kevrina,

Kind regards
Dave
It is a relative of my Mums stepfather, I think it was his brother so 30’s 40’ s , I thought it may be of interest to someone .Unusual surname it has been varied over the years .

There was a Quinneys Dairy in Birmingham, there's a thread about the farm and family - could be some relative?

From 1945 to1952 there was a John Quinney listed on the online electoral rolls at 156 Lea Hall road
I am just busy trying to sort my ancestry so paused it tried to have a look but it’s not helping today , that sounds as if could be right age.

There was a Quinneys Dairy in Birmingham, there's a thread about the farm and family - could be some relative?

Could be I know there was Hilda, Jono , Alfred I have his daughters birth certificate upstairs so will check for more names , actually yes it could be as I have some pictures of my Mum on or at a farm her Mum married again when she was 4 , I posted the postcard from Birmingham my Gran sent a few weeks ago , thanks for that info .

The Quinneys of Lea Hall Road don't appear to connected with the dairy/farm Quinneys (at least not for 3 generations). The former came from Foleshill and the latter from Fenny Compton.

Just found this I have been at this for years as got sent on so many false leads and told things to cover up things :)) Thos was found after his daughter passed away , we came to conclusion they all just took anything they could on leaving home , then they are found .image.jpg
The Quinneys of Lea Hall Road don't appear to connected with the dairy/farm Quinneys (at least not for 3 generations). The former came from Foleshill and the latter from Fenny Compton.
I really have no idea as I was given false information in the days before computers , so I dip in and out searching .

This Postal district map, published in 1935, shows Lea Hall Road in South Yardley. At this time it doesn't show a postal district number. Maybe not yet allocated. I grew up in Sheldon and it always had the P.O. district B26.View attachment 171059
I have no idea I only knew of Birmingham connection by a postcard and then some 38 years ago a letter arriving addressed to my Great Grandmother who passed away in 62 , then when my aunt died the birth certificate lower down been found .

Just found this I have been at this for years as got sent on so many false leads and told things to cover up things :)) Thos was found after his daughter passed away , we came to conclusion they all just took anything they could on leaving home , then they are found .

I really have no idea as I was given false information in the days before computers , so I dip in and out searching .

That ties in with the Lea Hall Road Quinneys. Alfred James was the second eldest child of Reginald & Mary (eldest died young). John was a younger brother. There appear to have been 3 sons and 5 daughters - including twins.

Reginald was born Coventry, son of a Thomas Elijah Quinney and Harriet Hartop. Thomas Elijah was born Foleshill, son of William Quinney and Hannah Poultney.

That ties in with the Lea Hall Road Quinneys. Alfred James was the second eldest child of Reginald & Mary (eldest died young). John was a younger brother. There appear to have been 3 sons and 5 daughters - including twins.

Reginald was born Coventry, son of a Thomas Elijah Quinney and Harriet Hartop. Thomas Elijah was born Foleshill, son of William Quinney and Hannah Poultney.
Thanks for that I have a photo with a few of them on I just can’t find it at moment , strange twins haven’t appeared in any of my cousins and there family’s .

I lived at 126 Moat Lane Yardley B26 But Google street view shows it as B33
I always intended having a look around Birmingham as used to change trains there to get to our daughters but she has come back up North now , I am sorry I have no idea we’re anything is all is my Mum said it was a big house they used to go to , I am going to get looking at maps etc .

Hi,

I know Birmingham 33 was created in the 1950s, because when we moved to Stechford in 1950
it was still Birmingham 9 for just a few years. So I guess this was probably when South Yardley
became very much smaller and Kitts Green, Tile Cross and Lea Hall became B33 with Stechford.

Coincidentally I moved to Wash Lane in South Yardley in 1965 when I got married.

Kind regards
Dave

I always intended having a look around Birmingham as used to change trains there to get to our daughters but she has come back up North now , I am sorry I have no idea we’re anything is all is my Mum said it was a big house they used to go to , I am going to get looking at maps etc .

I would think Lea Hall Road is pretty much as it was in the 1950s (apart from the cars).

Bordesley Park Road, however, appears to have completely changed. At least half of the original road has been renamed (Bolton Road) and the modern one only follows a bit of the old one.

Never totally certain when it comes to court addresses but I think it's probably no. 9 court 11 (court 9 doesn't look big enough for 11 houses). This map is from 1950, court 11 is still listed as such, court 9 would have been behind no. 113...

0 - Bordesley Park Road.jpg

Back