• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chemists

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A chemist’s trade card from the 1820s which suggests a chemist might still at this time experiment with medicines. Viv.

0DEDBDDF-64B6-4395-AFB3-5F50B58DEF1E.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Good to see the illustration of Hedges L260 Snuff. L260 came about as the result of a private prescription. The prescription was recorded in private prescription ledger “L” page number 260. Hence the name. It was made in the warehouse at the rear of of the Dale End shop. Anyone entering the shop in Dale End could not help but notice the pervading smell of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. I can smell it even now. The Snuff mills ran almost continuously, the rumble being felt throughout the building. AC.

Good to see the illustration of Hedges L260 Snuff. L260 came about as the result of a private prescription. The prescription was recorded in private prescription ledger “L” page number 260. Hence the name. It was made in the warehouse at the rear of of the Dale End shop. Anyone entering the shop in Dale End could not help but notice the pervading smell of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus. I can smell it even now. The Snuff mills ran almost continuously, the rumble being felt throughout the building. AC.
I think that those Snuff mills were rolling just to keep my Grandma supplied! She took snuff in vast quantities (or so it seemed to us youngsters). Not the cleanest of habits, the snuff seemed to get everywhere and as you say the mell was all pervading. Her preferred brand was L260 but when she was a bit short of cash and couldn't afford a tin we kids were despatched to the newsagents foe a sachet of Singletons which I think was a lot cheaper.
Despite the habit we loved her dearly.

Does anyone have pictures of Snapes Chemists on Great Hampton Street please? Remember going there as a kid - inside was like a film set from Dickens' era - they used to run a thing called "The Chance" where for a weekly sum you got the chance to win a voucher to be spent in-store - it seems to be about the only place in that area I did not get a photo of!

Does anyone have pictures of Snapes Chemists on Great Hampton Street please? Remember going there as a kid - inside was like a film set from Dickens' era - they used to run a thing called "The Chance" where for a weekly sum you got the chance to win a voucher to be spent in-store - it seems to be about the only place in that area I did not get a photo of!
hi mark have you looked on the great hampton street thread yet....i remember a chemist along there in the early 70s but cant recall if it was snapes or izons

lyn

Hi Lyn; if memory serves (and it does not very often these days....) I think it was in the building behind the two "Keep Left" bollards - if not it must have been in the building behind the 2 bus stops. Someone else must have been there!
1655469407044.png

you could very well be right mark however i cant recall a chemist next to the gothic pub....i think the best way forward is to hope some kind member can do a kellys look up to determine exactly what number snapes was at and maybe we might get a map highlighting its location...then we should have a better idea

lyn

Snapes was at 13 Gt Hampton St as shown on the map below. that means that it was in the far distance on the photo [posted by Mark. (reposted with arrow to the building I am pretty sure would be Snapes)

map 1940s showing  Snapes Chemists at 13 Gt Hampton St.jpgGt Hampton St showing no 13 with arrow.png

Back