• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

I was born there in 1946; oddly enough, when I went to grammar school in 1957 I found myself in the same class as a lad 2 days younger than me, and it turned out his mother had ben in the next bed to my mother in Heathfield Road. Many years later, the Head of the school that stood (maybe still stands?) on the site was a friend of mine, and I revisited Heathfield Road for the first time since my birth to do some music workshops with the kids there.

Thank you Mortum for lovely photograph of Heathfield Maternity Home. I was born here in June 1943 during WW2 nearly 80 years ago. Our family home was in Handsworth. I have always wondered where it was located and what it looked like
1943 what a wonderful year! My year as well :)

Hi I am new to this forum, which I found doing some research of a hospital I was born in, My Mother has passed.

I was applying for my birth certificate and had not idea what was the name of the hospital I was born in 2am in August of 1967.

I found the name.

Can anyone tell me why this hospital was replaced with the school. I don't know much about the hospital.

I was the only sibling out of 7 born here.

Polo

hi polo and welcome...i can only think that the hospital which had age to it was demolished surplus to requirements which is a great shame as it as i think looking at the only photo we have found (see post 70) of the entrance it looked to be a grand building...alas we see all too often that the powers that be give no thought to preserving a lot of birminghams historical buildings...our search goes on to find a full on photo of this building....i would think but cant be certain that it was once a private residence in which case it would be interesting if we could find out who once lived there before it became a maternity hospital...

lyn

Last edited:
Comparing the 1950 map with the 1889 map it looks like the hospital was originally two separate houses that seem to have been extended and joined. In 1889 pink dot has the name Church Villa, the blue dot was Fern Lodge and the surgery was Wood House...

0 - Heathfield Road.jpg

0 - Heathfield Road.jpg

thanks for the maps mark....i wonder if would could extend a bit more on the history of church villa and fern lodge...such as who lived there and what their occupations were i will do a photo search because if we can find any of church villa and fern lodge it will actually show us the whole frontage of what was to become the hospital

lyn

Assuming that Fern Lodge became no. 134, then in 1911 an Alfred Norman Hackwood lived there, he is listed as a Sales Manager in Boot Polish. Likewise if Church Villa became no. 132, then in 1911 a George Emerson lived there, he is listed as a Solicitor.

By 1921 no. 134 seems to have changed, there are 18 boarders listed there, all appear to be women with babies. No. 132 is occupied by a David Buchan and family, a medical practitioner.

First mention of a name I can see associated with Fern Lodge are a Thomas and Keziah Bullock in 1865.

Assuming that Fern Lodge became no. 134, then in 1911 an Alfred Norman Hackwood lived there, he is listed as a Sales Manager in Boot Polish. Likewise if Church Villa became no. 132, then in 1911 a George Emerson lived there, he is listed as a Solicitor.

By 1921 no. 134 seems to have changed, there are 18 boarders listed there, all appear to be women with babies. No. 132 is occupied by a David Buchan and family, a medical practitioner.

First mention of a name I can see associated with Fern Lodge are a Thomas and Keziah Bullock in 1865.
thats great info mark...puts a bit of flesh on the bones of the history of fern lodge and church villa..also gives a rough date of how old fern lodge was and it seems that by 1921 fern lodge was making the transition from being a private residence to a maternity hospital and as you said earlier it also combined into one building with church villa..

many thanks

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Bham Daily Post 26 Jun 1914 - "...134, Heathfield Road, Handsworth. Yesterday a numerous company of ladies and gentlemen attended the last named place for the dual purpose of holding the annual meeting of the association and witnessing the opening of the new babies' home by the Lady Mayoress..."

thanks for that newspaper snippet mark...i have just spent some time searching my photos of heathfield road and find it incredible that there are none of either church villa or fern lodge...however i do not give up that easily i will now get in touch with a few contacts i have to see if they have any...

lyn

thanks pedro...so now we can date fern lodge to at least 1855 and at that time the occupier was john clive esq....reading the long list of the contents of the lodge it must have been so impressive...once again it pains me to read about the history we have lost

lyn

In the 1921 Kellys (which would probably refer to 1920) no 132 is listed as David Buchan, physician & surgeon, while 134 is not listed. . In the 1924n edition (referring probably to 1923) ,David Buchan is still at 132, but 134 is listed as the City of Birmingham Maternity Hospital, (E Walker, matron)

1848 Fern Lodge to be sold by Auction. Commodious Family Home late residence of Thomas Attwood. Recently erected in most substantial manner by the late Mr. Walthew.

yes when the library has re opened to the public i do need to visit on another matter so i will see if they have a photo of the hospital thanks again for the one you posted..

lyn
Hi Lyn, did you ever get to the Library to see if they have a photo of the Heathfield Hospital?

Hi Lyn, did you ever get to the Library to see if they have a photo of the Heathfield Hospital?
hi vronicka not had chance to get to the library yet however we have posted a photo on this thread of the main entrance to the hospital...not the best but its all we have so far...

lyn

Hi All,
My eldest daughter was born in Heathfield Maternity Hospital in October 1951. In reality it was just a large house with the entrance opening directly onto the street. Immediately opposite was the Stork Public House where I wet the babies head,
Old Boy
OLD BOY...At long last the truth will come out..yes old boy you are % CORRECT..
It was not a hospital..just a big house and there was a bus stop close beside it.. and a couple of shops..
I went with my brother in 1966 to see his wife and baby(my nephew)but was told I was only my brother could go up the stairs to see his family.. well since I was 20years old at the time I went into the Stork pub and low and behold my brothers mates were in there...OK so then my brother came into the pub very happy..and I remember saying to my brother that it's only a house and she could have stayed at our house and had the baby..oh..but people somewhere along the line really still believe it was a proper hospital..!!!
Cheers old boy..

Just come across an article that states Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi was born in the hospital....

Biography​

• Born​

19 February 1948 (age 74)
  • Born In​

Handsworth, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Anthony Frank "Tony" Iommi (born 19 February 1948, Heathfield Road Hospital, Handsworth, Birmingham, England, United Kingdom) is an English guitarist and songwriter, active since 1964, but best known as a founding member of pioneering heavy metal band Black Sabbath.

Hello to all. I've just joined the forum while searching for news of Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital. I note a discussion started in 2003-2007, sorry to go back in time. My wife was born there in 1938 and her sister in November 1929.
There was another sister (sadly still-born) between 1929 and 1938 but thought to have been a home birth. Not sure.
Does anyone have information of possible still-birth registers associated with Heathfield Road or home births in that catchment area?

hi mort we have seen that photo posted on the forum some time ago by one of our members...its her in the photo as a little girl...i think she lived opposite the hospital....i would have to check when i have time but it may have been posted on the heathfield road thread but looks just as good on this one

lyn
Hi, just reading through this again…..Been awhile. I posted this photo on here awhile back. The lady who sent it to me (the little girl) lived nearby. Her father ran a deli near there.
Here’s what she said -
“Just to put you in the picture. I was born in this hospital in 1955. I lived at Leonard Road until I was 11 and then Holly Road until I was 25. I knew Handsworth pretty well. My parents had a delicatessen on Villa Rd( which was an extension of Heathfield Road with Lozells in between.
I went to Westminster Road primary school ( still correspond with one of my teachers!!!) and then to King Edward’s grammar school.

The hospital was on a busy road, the bus route was the No 90 or 91 bus I believe and this went from Perry Barr right into the city centre.

The hospital from memory was two storey and had a white frontage almost Georgian in appearance,I.e symmetrical. I believe it was a facade because the hospital behind was a more modern building.
There was also a place called Bourne house on Trinity Rd,which was used as a pre birth home and also post birth. If you look at a google map of the area Heathfield Road led down to Birchfield Road and Trinity Road was across from there.
I remember the hospital quite well because my father worked round the corner from it and I would pass it with him. I often went to meet him from work.”

That is how I remember Heathfield Road hospital looking. I was there in 1962 the room on the right.
Hi Dottieau, May I ask when you were at the hospital in 1962. My friends Mum Beryl Carter was there 1/5/1962 for two weeks, gave birth to a little boy.

Hi, just reading through this again…..Been awhile. I posted this photo on here awhile back. The lady who sent it to me (the little girl) lived nearby. Her father ran a deli near there.
Here’s what she said -
“Just to put you in the picture. I was born in this hospital in 1955. I lived at Leonard Road until I was 11 and then Holly Road until I was 25. I knew Handsworth pretty well. My parents had a delicatessen on Villa Rd( which was an extension of Heathfield Road with Lozells in between.
I went to Westminster Road primary school ( still correspond with one of my teachers!!!) and then to King Edward’s grammar school.

The hospital was on a busy road, the bus route was the No 90 or 91 bus I believe and this went from Perry Barr right into the city centre.

The hospital from memory was two storey and had a white frontage almost Georgian in appearance,I.e symmetrical. I believe it was a facade because the hospital behind was a more modern building.
There was also a place called Bourne house on Trinity Rd,which was used as a pre birth home and also post birth. If you look at a google map of the area Heathfield Road led down to Birchfield Road and Trinity Road was across from there.
I remember the hospital quite well because my father worked round the corner from it and I would pass it with him. I often went to meet him from work.”
I went to Westminster Rd, leaving about when you were born. Lived on Radnor Rd from when I was unto llc 19. Walked Heathfield and Holy Rds many times.

I went to Westminster Rd, leaving about when you were born. Lived on Radnor Rd from when I was unto llc 19. Walked Heathfield and Holy Rds many times.
Hi Richard, I’m not the girl in the hospital photo, I was conversing with her privately about my search for Clive Martin Carter/Stanley who was born at the hospital in 1962 and it led to me receiving the photo. I’d had it for awhile before it dawned on me that I should put it on here as at least it was something! So strange so little photos.

Back