• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley Secondary School

Someone on Twitter has reminded me of the flat which was off the Domestic Science room. This person also went to a school that had a flat. Was it ever really used? Once we made Danish Open Sandwiches and had them at lunchtime in the flat, probably in our second year with Miss Powell.

Hi I'm John auburys daughter,my dad went to Saltley grammar school,between 1954-1961,just wondered if there are any photos of the school or even my dad,during this period
Sadly my dad passed away,in May of this year,and was trying to put some photos togather for his great grandkids to look at in the future

Hi I'm John auburys daughter,my dad went to Saltley grammar school,between 1954-1961,just wondered if there are any photos of the school or even my dad,during this period

Hi, before my time (just), but have a look at http://frog.saltley.bham.sch.uk/index.phtml?d=201931. A lot of photos on there, but indexed by decade, so you may have trawl though a bit.
Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Best Wishes and welcome to the forum.
Andrew.

smallsixth.jpg
6 Maths circa. 1965/66?
Back Row: ?, Seddon, ?, ?, ?, Smith, ?, ?, Finch, ?
Middle Row: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Maturi (of Hardware fame), ?, Shaw, Parkins.
Front Row: Batts, ?, ?, ?, ?, Whitehouse, Hutton, ?, ?, ?, Jeromes.
Seven prefects in all?

Sadly my dad passed away,in May of this year,and was trying to put some photos togather for his great grandkids to look at in the future
Hi Joanne, I was five years behind your Dad but remember his name, so perhaps he was a prefect from my second and third years there. I have a couple of panoramic photos but they are too late for your Dad's time I'm afraid. The web address in the other reply is a really good one, although most of the photos are undated so it will mean trawling through. I'm away soon, but when I have time I would be happy to write a bit about the school and name some of the teachers in the photo that you will find on the site. It might be interesting for you and your family to get an idea of the ethos of the school that your Dad went to. It was a fabulous place and gave it's pupils (from any background) amazing opportunities.
I hope you find some pictures.

View attachment 170694
6 Maths circa. 1965/66?
Back Row: ?, Seddon, ?, ?, ?, Smith, ?, ?, Finch, ?
Middle Row: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Maturi (of Hardware fame), ?, Shaw, Parkins.
Front Row: Batts, ?, ?, ?, ?, Whitehouse, Hutton, ?, ?, ?, Jeromes.
Seven prefects in all?
I have a few more names to add to this photo. Of course I can remember more faces than names!
Back row from left:
3rd Geoffrey Rudge
5th Keith Jones
Front from left:
3rd Roger Alexander
5th Pat Davis
7th Jenny Hutton

Here's the teachers that were there during your Dad's time at the school.The picture is from 1956...

Attachments

• 17457380_10155172669738966_1419704358759210516_n.jpg
    17457380_10155172669738966_1419704358759210516_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 17
Here's the teachers that were there during your Dad's time at the school.The picture is from 1956...
I remember Mr Cooke (Maths), 4th from left back row.
Mr Shakespeare (PE) next to him.
Mr Duce (Spelling ?) (Physics) 3rd from left second row.
Biff Bennett (English) 3rd from right second row.
Tilly Thompson (English) 5th from left first row.

Some other faces are familiar, but names are hazy now.

Andrew.

I have a few more names to add to this photo. Of course I can remember more faces than names!
Back row from left:
3rd Geoffrey Rudge
5th Keith Jones
Front from left:
3rd Roger Alexander
5th Pat Davis
7th Jenny Hutton
First year pupils were all one house, second year through fourth were pairs of houses, fifth form could be any house and sometimes from a different year, all of which makes memories harder.

December 1965 magazine has 6 Maths exam results for Batts, Cadwaladr, Edgar, Finch, Gould, Harvey, Islip, Jerromes, Jones, lissaman, Littleton, Lloyd, Maturi, O'Connor, Parkins, Redshaw, Rudge, Seddon, Shaw, Shergold, Smith, Turner, along with our pair of females Pamela Hardcastle and Jennifer Hutton.

January 1963 Magzine has a P.N. Aubury in form 7P and M.B. Aubury (1955-1961) gains a BSc (Hons) from Southampton.
December 1965 Magazine has a J.F.B. Aubury (1954-1961) gaining a HNC Electronics.

Andrew.
Also
More names for this photo:
Middle row, far right, ‘Jasper’ Rhodes
Front row,

Andrew.
more names:
Middle row, far right, Jasper Rhodes
Front row 5th from right, Miss Hulse
Front row 2nd from right, Mrs Capon

Pn aubury would be philp and mb would be Martin both my dad's brothers,he has 3 brothers and one sister,is there an attachment for the magazine,or know where I can find it
My dad went onto Lancaster college probably spelt it wrong,and built a remote controlled darlek called dodger in 1964 for rag week,its on the pathe news

Hi. I was at Saltley at the same time as your dad, from 1954 to 61. His name just about rings a bell with me, but I have no other recollection. Sad about your dad but nice to try and get memories for the family. We were probably in different forms. Two class photos attached and I have found that putting the name of the school into google and following all the links can give you quite a few photos. I have at home two of the long roll panoramic pictures, April 1959 and May 1957. I can find myself on them no problem (about 400 pupils on each one!) and I'm sure you would be able to find your dad. Sorry but I am not letting them out of my house but they could be seen/scanned if you wished. I am still local at Water Orton.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 24
  • img451.jpg
    img451.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 23
This may help in finding contemporaries of your Dad.

Page 19 'Pass in 5 subjects' has your Dad, and there are loads of other names, together with general school goings on at that time. A bit of background perhaps. Also 'Pass in 7 subjects' has your uncle.

Andrew.

Attachments

• 5SaltleyDoc127.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
I am thinking Mrs Capon, but a bit hazy, ready to be corrected . The boys and girls were split for a class, woodwork and domestic science. There was no teacher available for the boys on this particular session , so we were put in a classroom and given work to get on with. Even in the hallowed halls of Saltley that was not going to work. There was gradual buildup of chaos, until in marches Mrs Capon. “Right you lot, come with me”. Off we go down to the domestic science room (laboratory ?) and had to sit in with the girls so she could keep an eye on us for the rest of the session. Cooking I remember rather than needlework. Girls thought it was very funny. (Boys took it as a lesson, ahh, that’s what wives are for. Have to get one of those one day).
Andrew.
Hi. I was at Saltley at the same time as your dad, from 1954 to 61. His name just about rings a bell with me, but I have no other recollection. Sad about your dad but nice to try and get memories for the family. We were probably in different forms. Two class photos attached and I have found that putting the name of the school into google and following all the links can give you quite a few photos. I have at home two of the long roll panoramic pictures, April 1959 and May 1957. I can find myself on them no problem (about 400 pupils on each one!) and I'm sure you would be able to find your dad. Sorry but I am not letting them out of my house but they could be seen/scanned if you wished. I am still local at Water Orton.
the teacher in scan 0007 is Mr Dodds (maths)

Overtonman it would be lovely if you could scan the photos,my dad moved to luton when I was about 2 years old,so I'm not local
You should be able to download the whole school photos for the 1950s here, as Brummie a long time a ago previously posted. [Having viewed the picture that you want take a note of its file name then follow the instructions to download the full-size image. If you are using Windows you could use Paint to crop out the part of the picture that you want.]

Overtonman it would be lovely if you could scan the photos,my dad moved to luton when I was about 2 years old,so I'm not local
I will try an scan the long school panoramic pictures-each one is about 40 inches long so not easy and I will wait for my more able son to assist me next week when he is about. I think there will be several images which will need printing out and joining up. I will put them on the forum site. Interestingly the page of the school report which someone put on and noted your dad as having 5 passes included me in the same section, again 5 passes-name of L Hatch. Only the girls were allowed to have their Christian names incuded in that era!

Only the girls were allowed to have their Christian names incuded in that era!
I noticed that as well, both when I was there, and reading the records recently. Even in the yearly detention records, boys were surname only, girls christian and surname. (Yes, girls got detention as well, some more often than others). In class, it was "Oi, (insert surname), stop that now".

Some of the reasons for detention from that era are quaint too.

On one of the sports days, I was chatting to one of the girls, possibly a bit too close for the 'establishment'. Loud rendition of just my surname, (not even Mr in front) right across the field from the headmaster, with arm wave. Hey ho. I was the only one with that name, so some admiration from my compatriots for a while.

There are some 'long' scans on the site, but I don't think for that decade unfortunately. Like you, I have a couple of the original long photos, safely stored and staying here.

Andrew.

I will try an scan the long school panoramic pictures-each one is about 40 inches long so not easy and I will wait for my more able son to assist me next week when he is about. I think there will be several images which will need printing out and joining up. I will put them on the forum site. Interestingly the page of the school report which someone put on and noted your dad as having 5 passes included me in the same section, again 5 passes-name of L Hatch. Only the girls were allowed to have their Christian names incuded in that era!
Why do it when you can get it from here? (Saltley School - Upper 1953)

It might be that more detail can be scanned from a copy held by a forum member in which case it would be a big help to know where to 'aim' for a relative rather than scan and stitch the whole. Surely to be useful to the family only the area of interest need be scanned?

Last edited:
If you can find a safe site to down load ICE (Image composite editor) and scan overlapping images, then it will make you a full image. It was produced by microsoft, but you cannot download it from them now. Other sources offer it (free) but not sure how safe they are.

If you can find a safe site to down load ICE (Image composite editor) and scan overlapping images, then it will make you a full image. It was produced by microsoft, but you cannot download it from them now. Other sources offer it (free) but not sure how safe they are.
Another way, but only if your scanner has a sheet feeder as well as a flatbed, is to try that for scanning. Mine will keep rolling a long sheet through until the end, and the software seems to cope. Must be a limit somewhere ( in memory presumably ), but I have managed a long school photo in the past without issue.
Andrew.

Saltley GS 1957.PNGSaltley GS 1959.PNG
Well Joanne, have finally got the photos available. I do now have much larger resolutions on my computer but the files are too big for this site. Hope you can identify your dad.

I started at Saltley Grammar School in 1959/60, I was only there for 2 years as we moved to Cannock at the end of 1962. Contributors to this thread have incredible memories of their time there, I remember few teachers although Mr. Cherry was a remarkable teacher, his first words to our form were 'you play fair with me and I will play fair with you', and he was.

I would love to know which teacher took us on a trip around the engine sheds at Nine Elms, Willesden, Cricklewood and Camden. I remember the following names from the trip Peter ? Sedden, Keith Moroney, Richard Hollis and I have a few pictures of the trip but they are quite poor quality.

If anybody can recall the trip I would be grateful for any help, my passion for locomotives has remained with me all of my life due in part to the teacher who took the time to arrange the excursion to London.

I started at Saltley Grammar School in 1959/60, I was only there for 2 years as we moved to Cannock at the end of 1962. Contributors to this thread have incredible memories of their time there, I remember few teachers although Mr. Cherry was a remarkable teacher, his first words to our form were 'you play fair with me and I will play fair with you', and he was.

I would love to know which teacher took us on a trip around the engine sheds at Nine Elms, Willesden, Cricklewood and Camden. I remember the following names from the trip Peter ? Sedden, Keith Moroney, Richard Hollis and I have a few pictures of the trip but they are quite poor quality.

If anybody can recall the trip I would be grateful for any help, my passion for locomotives has remained with me all of my life due in part to the teacher who took the time to arrange the excursion to London.
I started at Saltley in 1961, have just found this site, remember many of the teachers and also a trip to loco sheds around London arranged, my memory tells me (not 100% reliable) by Mr Cherry! I remember most clearly arriving late (on our coach) at a sheds where Class 55 (then D9000) Deltics were being prepared for the evenings trips to the North East and Scotland; we were allowed to queue alongside one loco, and, in turn, mount the steps into one cab, and walk through past the warming diesels engines into the other cab at the far end, then down the steps and out again - wonderful!
My passion for locomotives, steam, diesel or electric, has also lasted a lifetime.
This is my first post, more will follow, and I hope to read more about other Old Salts who would have traveled to school from Shard End on the 55 bus, as I did!

I started at Saltley in 1961, have just found this site, remember many of the teachers and also a trip to loco sheds around London arranged, my memory tells me (not 100% reliable) by Mr Cherry! I remember most clearly arriving late (on our coach) at a sheds where Class 55 (then D9000) Deltics were being prepared for the evenings trips to the North East and Scotland; we were allowed to queue alongside one loco, and, in turn, mount the steps into one cab, and walk through past the warming diesels engines into the other cab at the far end, then down the steps and out again - wonderful!
My passion for locomotives, steam, diesel or electric, has also lasted a lifetime.
This is my first post, more will follow, and I hope to read more about other Old Salts who would have traveled to school from Shard End on the 55 bus, as I did!
Thanks for your response, you may well be correct, it could have been Mr. Cherry, from what I remember of him I think we would have felt at ease in his company, I do wonder now if he was an avid train-spotter too.

Thanks for your response, you may well be correct, it could have been Mr. Cherry, from what I remember of him I think we would have felt at ease in his company, I do wonder now if he was an avid train-spotter too.
Hello Brummy-lad, I also remember the school trainspotters club visiting north of Brum, again I think under the guidance and leadership of Mr Cherry. The one place that sticks in my head is a visit to Crewe Works, where we were shown lines of partly-built Brush Type 4 diesels, D1500 and up (now class 47). At the end of this visit, the foreman came over and gave us the fleet numbers of all of the locos being built there at that time, and said that we had seen all of these locos. It must have been 1962 or 63 at the latest. Do you remember this trip too?
As another small point, Mr Cherry joined the teaching staff at Saltley in 1961, and was initially form master to class 1K (Kendrick). I know because I was a new boy (fag) in that class, and I remember Mr Cherry saying it was his first day at the school too...happy days....I also remember Miss Windsor (our French teacher) who took us (the entire class) to the picture house behind New Street Station (the Jacey or The News Theatre) to see a French film and hear the language spoken,...happy days....

Hello Brummy-lad, I also remember the school trainspotters club visiting north of Brum, again I think under the guidance and leadership of Mr Cherry. The one place that sticks in my head is a visit to Crewe Works, where we were shown lines of partly-built Brush Type 4 diesels, D1500 and up (now class 47). At the end of this visit, the foreman came over and gave us the fleet numbers of all of the locos being built there at that time, and said that we had seen all of these locos. It must have been 1962 or 63 at the latest. Do you remember this trip too?
As another small point, Mr Cherry joined the teaching staff at Saltley in 1961, and was initially form master to class 1K (Kendrick). I know because I was a new boy (fag) in that class, and I remember Mr Cherry saying it was his first day at the school too...happy days....I also remember Miss Windsor (our French teacher) who took us (the entire class) to the picture house behind New Street Station (the Jacey or The News Theatre) to see a French film and hear the language spoken,...happy days....
Miss Windsor was one of my favourite teachers.

Hi TommoCo, I certainly went to Crewe sheds but I'm it was just 2 or 3 of us from the class, I remember how difficult it was to 'bunk' those sheds without getting chased off. I still remember getting grit in my eyes from having my head out of the coach window being pulled by a steam train. Happy days indeed. I have a feeling I was in 1K too, do you recognise any of the names in post #234 ?

Back