• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost grandparents

Hannah2020

Hello, I am wondering if anyone out there is at all able to help me find my great grandparents? I know that my grandparents were buried in Erdington Parish Church (St Barnabas) as relatives have confirmed they were at the funeral and it was at Erdington parish church. I also have the death cards which confirm again the funeral took place there, however after going to the church, the church tells me they have no records or either of my grandparents being buried there. There was once a headstone which has now also vanished. My great grandparents are Lyndon Fritz Barnabas Lett, Death March 1950 and his wife Florence Lett Nee Hill, Death Aug 1956. Many thanks

I am not sure but the fact there was a service held there does not necessariy suggest they were buried there - does it?
Have you checked the burial records yourself? I think they are held at the library - online records stop before those dates.

Last edited:
I see you have quite a lot of info on Ancestry so am sure you have seen the various census returns. It is possible that your grandparents could have been cremated with a service held at the Parish Church. Was your Grandfather married previously to Martha who died in 1899?

I checked the bereavement site and drew a blank.
Wonder if it might have been cremation at Perry Barr? - that is not a council crematorium so it's records do not appear on the council bereavement site. Might be worth a phone call.

Do they have no records because of the 2007 fire?
Sorry - I don't understand.
What 2007 fire?

By the way - Lyndon must have been married before. From trees on ancestry the eldest childreg with mmn Sutton and the rest with mmn Hill (Florence's maiden name).

Last edited:
Sorry - I don't understand.
What 2007 fire?

By the way - Lyndon must have been married before. From trees on ancestry the 2 eldest children are reg with mmn Ashley and the rest with mmn Hill (Florence's maiden name).
jan i think mws is referring to the fire at st barnabas church in 2007

lyn

jan i think mws is referring to the fire at st barnabas church in 2007

lyn
Thanks Lyn. Could be - the original post does not say that. I have no idea what happened to the records.

It looks as if the library holds records including burials up to 1979 so it might be worth a look to see what their records say.

Last edited:
having a few mins to spare i have just phoned perry barr crem to see if lyndon and florence were cremated there...they have taken my contact details and will get back to me as soon as they can as it takes a little longer to check the older cremation records

lyn

update....there is no record for any letts cremations at perry barr crem...the lady checked the whole of years 1950 and 56 however once again i was told that the register office hold all burial and cremation records the only problem i have is that when a friend of mine contacted them they said they did not hold any records...maybe it could be worth contacting them just to make sure...i was told that all the burial records at st barnabas were destroyed during the fire of 2007..so sadly no further forward at the min

lyn

I can see that records held at the church would have been detroyed but...... (from linrary website)
1654524626635.png
So it might be worth contacting them to see what they do hold - however, burial records often do not identify the site of the grave.

Sorry, yes Barnabas was married before to Martha, Martha had passed away and my great grandfather remarried to my great grandmother. I have been through the records at st Barnabas many years ago before the 2007 fire and I could not find any information. I've attached photos of proof to show that they were in fact buried there. They were in a family grave but for whatever reason the church insists they were not buried there and I can not find their graves or burial records.

Attachments

• 16547000619823887404183740404242.jpg
    16547000619823887404183740404242.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 16547000826106022308078730284380.jpg
    16547000826106022308078730284380.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Well that proves they are there! I wonder if any gravestones of the same age are still in place, it seems to be a way of finding the area even if you can't pinpoint a grave.
rosie.

Back