• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

The pattern of entrances and the apparent end of the row of buildings at the corner with Hockley St fits the photo being Barr St.. Also around 1900 no 65 is lsited as a shopkeeper, which usually means general provisions and this would fit with tea and coffee sign. No 63 on the edge of the photo wasa pearl button works
Sorry my choice of colour for numbers hasn't shown up too well

View attachment 134911New member, first post. Been looking everywhere for pics of Barr st, I lived at 8/53 from 1950-57 Deuch & Brenna ( scrap metal works ) was on the corner of Harford st & Barr St just to the left of this pic, thanks again it’s made my day
Derek

cracking photo of bsw...wonder what the name of the ansells pub is on the left corner

lyn
Yes it is the Star, I lived opposite from 1957 to 63, when the whole area was demolishe, it was the corner of Well st and bows, the shop opposite was Brooks grocers I lived two doors away at 112, so pleased to find this on my first couple of days on the site, thank you
Derek Knowles

I know Lozells Street quite well, my family coming from Lozells. I would therefore assume it was the Registrar himself who lived at number 23. Co-incidence or what a relative of mine according to the Electoral Rolls was living at 23 Lozells Street, in 1955.
We lived at number 21 Lozells St between 1957 and 1968. I was only 11 years old when we left so my memory is quite sketchy, to be honest. The people who lived at number 23 when we were there were only known to me as Uncle Arthur and Aunty Blanche. Not sure if these are the people in question and probably useless information but it's just my two penneth worth.

They may well have done then. We used to walk to school every day from Lozells St via Wills St and then Church St. I remember the "pea-soupers" - do you? Used to wind my mom up by stepping just out of sight in the fog. She wasn't impressed :)

We used to go to the Villa Cross every Saturday morning without fail for the Saturday morning matinee. I went to Sunday school and boy scouts in Lozells St Hall.

They may well have done then. We used to walk to school every day from Lozells St via Wills St and then Church St. I remember the "pea-soupers" - do you? Used to wind my mom up by stepping just out of sight in the fog. She wasn't impressed :)

We used to go to the Villa Cross every Saturday morning without fail for the Saturday morning matinee. I went to Sunday school and boy scouts in Lozells St Hall.
oh crikey mike those pea soupers were great for playing tracking around the streets:D...snap about the villa cross pic house...i also used to go every sat morning..i also attended sunday school at the sally army near to the corner of nursery road and villa st....have to say they were very happy days for me...would never change them

lyn

We lived at number 21 Lozells St between 1957 and 1968. I was only 11 years old when we left so my memory is quite sketchy, to be honest. The people who lived at number 23 when we were there were only known to me as Uncle Arthur and Aunty Blanche. Not sure if these are the people in question and probably useless information but it's just my two penneth worth.
The 1955 electoral roll has Arthur W. and Blanche E Davis at 23 Lozells Street, along with William J. and Florence M. Heslington.

Yes looks like Stratford rd junction with School Road/Colebank rd, Hall Green College on left, The Horseshoe Pub on right,
No.11 Outer Circle bus crossing
Yes I agree although I have a slight problem with the Horseshoe Pub although it has changed a lot over the years. The website from the link below is interesting .... click on the pic to see written content

The present road sign approaching the Stratford Road - Cole Bank Road junction indicates A34 to City Centre straight on: Kings Heath and Stirchley to the left on B4146: and Acocks Green and Yardley to the right on B4146 (A4040). These are far more local destinations compared to Walsall, Dudley and Nuneaton on the road sign under discussion. Could have just been a change of procedure because the original photograph does look like what I remember of that junction.

Yes I agree although I have a slight problem with the Horseshoe Pub although it has changed a lot over the years. The website from the link below is interesting .... click on the pic to see written content
This is a shot from 2009, just past a bus stop on left (yellow dotted lines), note large tree branches on left as in photo

middle left: same slip road from Hall Green Library & Telephone Exchange

A34.jpg

Last edited:
The excellent link shown by oldMohawk has the photo in very high resolution.
The sign further on the left does say Kings Heath is 2 1/2 miles to the left, but I agree I do not recognise the front of the Horseshoe as it is seen here.

29000654375_96ef4de652_oC.jpg

Back