• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Waterworks Street

mike if you go to my post 13 i posted a link to a 3rd waterworks thread in which i posted quite a few photos but when i click on the link nothing is coming up and the photos have gone...wonder if you can help locate it

thanks mike

lyn

I spent many happy hours at my Grandparents house in Waterworks Street, Aston, back in the early 60's.
Sadly now my memory for names and places is starting to fade. I remember that on a Sunday lunchtime Gran would give me a large jug and send me down to the pub (The Church Tavern I think it was called, on the corner of Lichfield Rd & Waterworks St) for two pints of Nut Brown Ale and even though I was only about 8 years old I was always served without a problem.
Opposite the pub was a cafe and by all accounts it was famous for its bacon butties. Just up the street was a little general store on the corner of Montague Street and Mrs???? who used to run the store always used to cut a 2oz piece of cheese of this huge block for my sister and I. I don't think I ever saw her weigh the cheese and I don't think that I ever saw her wash the knife either, she just used to wipe it on her apron.
Sometimes I wish I could just turn the clock back to those good old days but i suppose we all think the same.

p.s. Does anyone remember what happened to the wooden ship at the back of The King Edward pub
HI I have just come across this my Aunty Gert and Uncle Sadiq Mohamed lived on Waterworks St I remember it was between the Lichfield Rd and Mrs Harrisons shop just after the entry that went around the backs of the houses. This would have been late 50s early 60s. They had to sons Robert and Neil

HI I have just come across this my Aunty Gert and Uncle Sadiq Mohamed lived on Waterworks St I remember it was between the Lichfield Rd and Mrs Harrisons shop just after the entry that went around the backs of the houses. This would have been late 50s early 60s. They had to sons Robert and Neil
Mrs Harrison was a really wonderful shop keeper. Always very pleasant. There was also Perry's on the corner of union street, also very pleasant owners. We were spoilt for choice with the shop owners back then, unlike how some are today.

I have just checked a map of the area. I think your door number was 67. Susan Blakemore sounds familiar. I know the feeling when it comes to photographs. Thankfully, my mum lept a few, but were lost when she past away. Here is a couple from the street for you. The shop on the corner of union street was called perries.
Hi all, I wanted to just give you some context about the second photo of the dog with the pushchair outside the shop. The baby in the pram is my great Uncle Keith. My grandad, Michael Duffill is grandson of Charles and Rose Duffill who owned a store on Waterworks st. The dog in the photo is called Skip. Grandad actually told me a funny story about how the dog would usually go hunting for chocolate/whatever food he could grab on the bottom shelf in the shop, but one day it had been replaced by soap! So foaming and frothing at the mouth my poor Grandad thought it had rabies! Love seeing these photos, currently putting together a family tree, if anyone used to know of the Duffill family, would love to hear from you!

Back