• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Richard Arnold 8268 Worcestershire Regiment

MILLS

master brummie
The above soldier won the Military Medal on 14 October, 1918.
Unfortunately I can not find any information on the man other than he resided in Birmingham.
When he was wounded in 1916 he was listed as resided in Birmingham. When he was wounded in 1917 he was listed as aged 34, resided in Birmingham and had 13 years service. This ties up with his enlistment date which would be 1904. He was in the 2nd Battalion and went to France on 12 August, 1914, yet he wasn't shown on the 1911 Census in India, nor does he appear on the Census for the 1st, 3rd or 4th Battalions.
I haven't been able to find his birth or any census details.
Any pointers or help would be much appreciated.

David

There appears to be a service record for a Richard Arnold (b1886) of Bham on findmypast, Worcestershire Regiment, no. 7068.

That's just the search results so it may be what you've already seen or an error with the regiment or no.

Yes came across this man.
His name and number are correct. I have a copy of his citation and the London Gazette and his Military Medal.
From memory the service record for 7068 shows he enlisted in the 5th Battalion but I need to go back to my PC to find out when he left. Do it tonight.
David

in 1918 and 1919 Richard Arnold and (possibly hisbrother) are listed on the absent voters list at 211 Upper Hubert Road which comes under Kings Norton.
1653375057189.png

In 1930 he is at the same number but it now seems to be just Hubert Road, with Reginald and a Beatrice Arnold.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
On 1939 reg (living in Meridan) Richard seems to have a dob of 7 Sep 1886 but the name has been amended Lewis Richard Arnold - if I have the right record.
That Richard seems to have died in 1970 with death reg at Coventry.
There is a marriage reg at King's Norton of Richard to a Beatrice Freeth in 1907 and they seem to be on the 1911 census at Selly Oak (he is W L R Arnold and there is a son Harry).

That is all based on the people living at Hubert Road on the eroll and linked to 8268
The concern I have is that it does not indicate military service prior to 1914. I also think he might actually have been born in 1885 as there is a birth of a Lewis Richard reg in Aston in the Oct quarter of that year.

Last edited:
Janice,
Thank you, I thought I had looked for this record and drew a blank! Senior moment perhaps.
Right now I have an address, brother and wife. Unfortunately several oddities but it happens all the time.
Again thank you WVS and Janice, more research ahead.
David

MWS,
Richard Arnold, 7068 attested in 5th Battalion Worcestershire Militia. served from 27 July 1903 until 21 February 1904. My Richard 8268 enlisted around February 1904 so could be the same man. Unfortunately 7068 father was named Richard, mine, 8268 was Louis. Though on 7068 record it shows a sister named Maude living at 17 Red Lane Foleshill and 8268 had a sister Maud living at 80 Red House Road Fosehill in 1901 Census. So a possible.
Appreciate the trouble you have gone to on researching my man.
David

A couple of strange coincidences if they are not the same person.

As Lewis Richard appears to alternate his name he could have assumed his father was a Lewis Richard also, though he was registered as Lewis only and only seems to be listed as such - speculating. There are a lot of small errors for the Arnolds.

Maud was registered as Amy Maud, named after their mother Amy (Griffin) though I think their parents may not have married.

Last edited:
On 1901 census there is a Maude Arnold listed at Chapel Square Foleshill which is Coventry.
Father is Lewis and there is a brother Reginald (aged 2).

8268 had a sister Maud living at 80 Red House Road Fosehill in 1901 Census. So a possible.
Appreciate the trouble you have gone to on researching my man.
David
Maud (listed as Amy, plus Lewis (your Richard) and Annie) is at Red House Road on 1891 census but there are no house numbers. The 80 is the schedule number so could in fact have been house number 17.
I think it is the same family in 1901 that I referred to as the occupation of Louis/Lewis is painter or house painter.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It's easy to say when it's not your relative but they do appear to be the correct family and the 2 Richards the same person.

1891 Foleshill.
Lois Arnold age 36 ,widower, Painter and paper hanger b Yardley wood
Amy age 7 b birmingham
Lewis age 5 b birmingham
Annie age 3 b birmingham
Lucy smith age 44 house keeper.

Lewis Richard Arnold birth reg dec qtr 1885 Aston.

In 1898 Louis /Lewis remarried to Sarah Foster and in 1901 they are in Foleshill. As well as 2 daughters with first wife he has Reginald age 2 with Sarah and she has 2 daughters Sarah and Daisy Foster.

That is what I found Alberta.
Looks as if the "Lois/Louis" could be the father of Richard. Maud was registered as Amy Maud and Richard registered as Lewis Richard. Not sure about Annie.

Annie appears to be Annie Martha, reg. Mar qtr 1888 Aston, Amy (mother) death registered Sep qtr. Martha was the name of Amy's mother, interestingly (or not) the mmn for Annie is not the same as Lewis and Amy.

Annie appears to be Annie Martha, reg. Mar qtr 1888 Aston, Amy (mother) death registered Sep qtr. Martha was the name of Amy's mother, interestingly (or not) the mmn for Annie is not the same as Lewis and Amy.
It was the mmn which threw me. So I wasn't sure I had the right reg.

A little off topic from the original request but I wonder if it's to do with Amy's seemingly lack of a birth registration.

Depending on her age (different 1881 & death) Martha may have been a little old to be her mother, so may be her grandmother. Even if Martha is, she was a widow in 1851 so Amy possibly was illegitimate.

Back