• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THE QUEENS PLATINUM JUBILEE

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks....are you having a street/garden party to celebrate the dedication our queen has shown over the past 70 years or maybe just quietly watching the celebrations on tv....either way it is a massive milestone in our history...we are holding one in the large front garden of a rellie just across the road from me...just close neighbours friends and family so about 50 of us....really looking forward to it and after the last dreadful 2 and half years its lovely to have something to look forward to...grandson james is going to help me bake the jubilee cup cakes...that should be fun :D hope to take a few photos so will post them...

lyn

Last edited:
hi folks....are you having a street/garden party to celebrate the dedication our queen has shown over the past 70 years or maybe just quietly watching the celebrations on tv....either way it is a massive milestone in our history...we are holding one in the large front garden of a rellie just across the road from me...just close neighbours friends and family so about 50 of us....really looking forward to it and after the last dreadful 2 and half years its lovely to have something to look forward to...grandson james is going to help me bake the jubilee cup cakes...that should be fun :D hope to take a few photos so will post them...

lyn
Hi Lyn, I'm of to a street party at my Sons in Bromsgrove, my daughter, other son, grandchildren and hubby will all be there.

I am attempting to make the Lemon trifle that won BBC award for a Platinum Jubilee dessert. This along with several bottles of Pimms will be my contribution to events. It should be good as my son lives in a cul-de-sac. I have already purchased an identical trifle dish and will make the whole thing from scratch, quite an effort for me as hubby is the cook in our house. It is supposed to serve 20 people, not sure about that I love trifle!

Attachments

• 1653654439625.png
    1653654439625.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi Lyn, I'm of to a street party at my Sons in Bromsgrove, my daughter, other son, grandchildren and hubby will all be there.

I am attempting to make the Lemon trifle that won BBC award for a Platinum Jubilee dessert. This along with several bottles of Pimms will be my contribution to events. It should be good as my son lives in a cul-de-sac. I have already purchased an identical trifle dish and will make the whole thing from scratch, quite an effort for me as hubby is the cook in our house. It is supposed to serve 20 people, not sure about that I love trifle!
I wish you every success with the trifle and for your party. I'm sure it will be delicious.
I saw this in the paper today, it may offer some tips.

how lovely janet....hope you all have a wonderful time....please post photos if you wish oh and save some of that trifle for :D:D:D

lyn

i do:heart: trifles specially if they have lots of sherry in them,:yum:yum

Our local newsagents have put up red, white and blue balloons outside and the whole row of our local shops have red, white and blue bunting up. It's so nice to see them entering into the spirit of the occasion. I've posted three photographs from the 1935 Jubilee below (1 - Lily Road, Yardley, 2 - Brum City Centre & 3 - A Birmingham Street Party).

I see Private Eye have now jumped on board with your Platinum Jubilee Clip idea Pedrocut (a snip @ 5 for £579.99 on Royal Jubilee Gnomemart - as recommended by Del Boy - "Lovely Jubbly Clip") :).

1653742497675.png 1653742608547.png 1653742720337.png

Our local newsagents have put up red, white and blue balloons outside and the whole row of our local shops have red, white and blue bunting up. It's so nice to see them entering into the spirit of the occasion. I've posted three photographs from the 1935 Jubilee below (1 - Lily Road, Yardley, 2 - Brum City Centre & 3 - A Birmingham Street Party).

I see Private Eye have now jumped on board with your Platinum Jubilee Clip idea Pedrocut (a snip @ 5 for £579.99 on Royal Jubilee Gnomemart - as recommended by Del Boy - "Lovely Jubbly Clip") :).

View attachment 170430 View attachment 170431 View attachment 170432
that sounds lovely john...great to hear of folk getting into the spirit....nice photos by the way

lyn

In 1953 my mum went to a shop at the roundabout joining Hobbs Moat Road to Lode Lane. Hidden behind the brick facade it was clear that it had been made of curved sheets of corrugated iron. Here she bought a roll of fabric printed with small versions of the national flag and many yards of white tape. Back home they fabric was cut into individual flags, hemmed and sewn onto the tape.
My dad bought two broom sticks which were mounted at an angle from the front upstairs widow cills and to which were attached a Union Jack and the Royal Banner of Scotland, my dad having been born there. Out on the lawn he mounted mum's jam pan on some bricks and put his extension lamp inside to form a kind of floodlight directed at the big flags. He also took a small piece of hardboard and drilled out a pattern of holes to make the cipher 'EIIR'. Christmas tree lights at the time were exclusively of the miniature Edison screw form and the fitted nicely through the holes with the string of holders at the back. This panel was placed in the small top light in the downstairs front room.
The street must have agreed to give a Bible to each child, (can't imagine that now), the boys got dark blue covered one and the girls a dark red covered one. My dad wrote out each child's name on a small piece of paper and stuck it on the cover papers.
The land alongside the Coventry Road was wasteland at the time and our celebrations were held there. The onlt thing I remember was being dressed up as 'The Muffin Man' with a tray of muffins and a hand bell borrowed from Captain Harris, the Church Warden of St. Giles at the time, (not sure if that was a military of Salvationist's rank). I know I didn't win a prize but that was about all I remember.
compcor.jpg

My Dad was very active in the weeks leading up to the Coronation as well but more in a "Del Boy" sort of way. I know he had procured from somewhere, I have no idea where from, flags, bunting and all sorts of cheap souvenirs. I can remember going round with him with a large suitcase filled with this stuff and going door to door selling them. Our estate was just recently built, I think we moved in to a new house in 1952, the roads weren't tarmacced yet and a trip to the shops was a chore. I know he sold the lot and did well out of it.
Our celebrations were held at Mapledene Junior School and all the children received a commemorative mug and a propelling pencil for the boys and a model coach and horses for the girls. I've posted pictures of the celebrations on another thread some time ago and I still have gifts from that day.

On the 2nd June 1953, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II took place and the whole country joined in celebration.
“The only problem on the actual day was the typical British weather…it poured with rain!
i hope it keeps dry for the parties this time.

On the 2nd June 1953, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II took place and the whole country joined in celebration.
“The only problem on the actual day was the typical British weather…it poured with rain!
i hope it keeps dry for the parties this time.
so do i pete....put bunting and flags up today

lyn

I had worried that the British weather looked likely to rain on the Jubilee street parties, that have been so long in the planning today. Hopefully the deluge is over now and the weather will brighten up in time, so that everyone can enjoy this afternoon's celebrations. The Great Western Arcade is looking good, St Phillips (with the Union flag the wrong way round :confused: ) and Barr Beacon on Thursday night:

1654418210804.png 1654420144280.png 1654420480913.png

Back