• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gem Tobacco Company Ltd

The first few posts refer to McClone, but it is McGlone. Perhaps it would be better to change or note, for anyone coming new to the thread.

I could not find anything above 49. Will try Clerkenwell Road.
56 Clerkenwell Road appears to be part of Cavendish Mansions. (flats or apartments)

Edit: I now think that address might be 56 Cavendish Mansions, Clerkenwell Road rather than just 56 Clerkenwell Road. See post # 25

Last edited:
For the record it seems that the British Cash and Parcel Conveyers were installers of the system in shops which travelled to and from the cashiers departments.

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest. Allied POW list
View attachment 170427
This Soldier is Known??? to me as his son Rick Winch is a member of the Busselton RSL (British Legion) Western Australia and has donated his Fathers German POW Dog tag to the memorabilia collection. My task in the RSL is to collect and catalogue and arrange for the display of same.
Would it be possible for an occupier of 56/58 to be a clandestine organisation sending escape maps and other items to POWs

Ron

The 56-58 refers to Clerkenwell Road. The title Cash and Parcel Conveyers is not as you would first assume, but to a mechanical method of transportation of cash and receipts around a building. The Company installed these systems within large buildings.

Last edited:
Back