• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
just been cutting the grass,and the mower stopped i try'd to start it but it would not go
i looked in the tank,and it was empty, just then a Bee stopped and said what up pete?
i told him,he said no probs and flew off,after a short time he come back with the whole hive
of bees,they flew in the tank,after a bit of buzzing flew out and away,the head bee said try the mower now.i did and it started
wow i said thats great,what did you put in the tank? the bee replyed
BP

Some lessons to be learned about constructing and mounting nesting boxes I think!
birdbox1.jpg
Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/ef/3c/5bef3cfcd0abd1d5c5094cd4376642cf.jpg

birdbox2.jpg
Source: https://d31eqxppr3nlos.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/177814254.jpg

Yes, you are right.

We have to put a metal plate over the hole in all our bird boxes (with a hole in of course), to try and defeat the woodpecker. One of them, a bit out of sight of the house, had the bottom pecked away instead.
They are normally well used, but this year less so.

Andrew.

Got a problem with my clematis. All of a sudden I have lost two to clematis wilt and a third is beginning to suffer similarly. Anyone got any suggestions for cures? Thanks
Bob

Got a problem with my clematis. All of a sudden I have lost two to clematis wilt and a third is beginning to suffer similarly. Anyone got any suggestions for cures? Thanks
Bob
It is caused by a fungus that can spread between plants. Julie says it is a bit drastic, but cut down to near ground level and destroy the cuttings, not compost them. Keep watering, because the roots are not affected, and it will grow back.
Andrew.

View attachment 170339
Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/ef/3c/5bef3cfcd0abd1d5c5094cd4376642cf.jpg

View attachment 170340
Source: https://d31eqxppr3nlos.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/177814254.jpg

Yes, you are right.

We have to put a metal plate over the hole in all our bird boxes (with a hole in of course), to try and defeat the woodpecker. One of them, a bit out of sight of the house, had the bottom pecked away instead.
They are normally well used, but this year less so.

Andrew.
Friend told me never buy metal boxes as they get too hot and the eggs or chicks roast

I said I can only take photos of things which don;t move, we had a poorly fox with mange visit. He came for water and drank from the birdbath at 11am. This was the best photo where you can't see the mange all his tail fur gone. I read the mites can come on human skin so am wearing gloves all the time. Though he ay have been before.
The mallard and ducklings my mate took on his way home from work in Bournbrook. During lockdown the greenspaces became peoples' gardens.

Attachments

• Poorly fox.png
    Poorly fox.png
    379 KB · Views: 21
  • Bournbrook.png
    Bournbrook.png
    325 KB · Views: 21
This Cardinal bird and it’s mate regularly come to my sons bird feeder but this is the first time I’ve been able to get a photo before he disappears. Wonderful colouring on these birds. I believe this one is a male, but regardless we’ve named him ‘Nan’ (after my son’s grandma). He usually visits with his mate who is less colourful. Viv.

18184DA8-781F-43EA-AF69-3123B2570A4B.jpeg

This Cardinal bird and it’s mate regularly come to my sons bird feeder but this is the first time I’ve been able to get a photo before he disappears. Wonderful colouring on these birds. I believe this one is a male, but regardless we’ve named him ‘Nan’ (after my son’s grandma). He usually visits with his mate who is less colourful. Viv.

View attachment 170369
He appears in the lyrics of In An English Country Garden but I have never seen one in the UK have any of you?

Now one of the chaps I follow on YouTube, mainly for wild camping, put up this video during lockdown. It is to do with the garden, and it reminded me of Midpubs. Has he left and gone up North to Sheffield?

This is about a shed pub and Birmingham gets a mention. Its 40 minutes long but you can see some beautiful pints.

These (Florida Reef Gecko?) are everywhere in my son’s garden. He’s been building a patio in the garden and they’re constantly scuttling across the bricks. At first I was jumping out of my skin when one appeared but now I’m getting used to them. They climb the mozzie mesh around the porch, climb walls, branches, anything. Worst of all they suddenly make a dash for it if you’re digging around shrubs and plants. A bit disconcerting when you’re least expecting it.

202B8701-869E-4BEC-9F31-27E9A08B3B3D.jpeg

In the front garden a much larger species visits every day, the Sandhill Crane. A pair of them turn up late in the afternoon looking for food. They’re quite large so I’ve decided it’s best to give them a wide berth and not venture too close to them.

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes, alligators and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

386C914D-4106-4C95-B9ED-999803F9CFCE.jpeg

Last edited:
These (Florida Reef Gecko?) are everywhere in my son’s garden. He’s been building a patio in the garden and they’re constantly scuttling across the bricks. At first I was jumping out of my skin when one appeared but now I’m getting used to them. They climb the mozzie mesh around the porch, climb walls, branches, anything. Worst of all they suddenly make a dash for it if you’re digging around shrubs and plants. A bit disconcerting when you’re least expecting it.

View attachment 170385

In the front garden a much larger species visits every day, the Sandhill Crane. A pair of them turn up late in the afternoon looking for food. They’re quite large so I’ve decided it’s best to give them a wide berth and not venture too close to them.

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

View attachment 170384
Cranes (The large bird in the second picture) are now nesting in southern England very successfully.

View attachment 170385

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes, alligators and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

View attachment 170384

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back