• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

A little more detail on Bertrand Moreton, I have attached census for 1891, which shows the family living on the High Street Aston, and one of three children being baptised at Aston Church 1893, Also his aunt Alice Maude Burton nee Moreton was living at 7/342 Witton Road, and it looks like all her children were baptised at Aston Church, I am unable to attach the baptism page at this moment
A dilemma! This person fits more of the criteria for inclusion than Benjamin Moreton, so I think he has to go in the listing instead, with Benjamin going on my list of others. We don't have an address for Bertrand himself do we, other than his 1893 baptism? I need to decide how to list his address - unknown, with a note of relatives in the area? Or use the 1893 address? I have only very rarely used a pre 1901 address.

HI there
The Memorial lists 618 names, but we know that many, many more men from Aston died. My own uncle is one such. I am compiling a list of other men that died (although currently I don't know what I'm going to do with such a list!), so happy for you to send details.
Ann
Thanks for your response. I will forward my Grandfathers details to you . He was born in Garrison Lane and his wife lived in Arthur street when he died at the Battle of Cambrai. Tinpot

Ann, I found the age and address of Albert Hughes, born 1890, lived at 8 Wallis Place, Aston, Warwickshire, England in 1911, he married Mary Polly Doody in 1913, I am not to sure at one stage Albert lived in Thomas Street and was baptise at St Mary's but not certain..

Ann, I have found the address of Harry Foster reg 306093, he also had 3794 as a reg number as well, born 1888, and lived at 5/38 Whitehead Road, with his wife of one year Laura nee North.

Ann, I hope I have found another not found, Griffin H.F, I have got Frederick J Griffin reg 241271, lived at 200 Phillips Street Aston, died 05/10/1917, you have probably already checked him out, I have check out every Griffin on the soldiers died in the great war, there is a Frederick Hyla Griffin but with no links to Aston as far I can see

I do believe I have found an address for Gilbert Thomas Webb and his wife born Harriet Kezia Jinks, who was married someone with the surname Chaplin, Gilbert and Harriett were married in 1910 Aston area, they were living at 52 William Street Birmingham in 1911, Now there is a bit of a twist I think his proper name is Thomas Gilbert Chalk Webb born 1880, but probably used Gilbert as his first name, he is a bit of a challenge to research.
Hi John
Confirm the marriage in Aston. I have found an 1891 census entry for him at 146 Coventry Road, father Henry Clarke Webb. I think this is our man, so will use the 1891 address if nothing else comes to light.

A dilemma! This person fits more of the criteria for inclusion than Benjamin Moreton, so I think he has to go in the listing instead, with Benjamin going on my list of others. We don't have an address for Bertrand himself do we, other than his 1893 baptism? I need to decide how to list his address - unknown, with a note of relatives in the area? Or use the 1893 address? I have only very rarely used a pre 1901 address.
Bertrand Wynne Moreton is my Great Great Uncle.

Bertrand Wynne Moreton is my Great Great Uncle.
Hello, and thanks for getting in touch. Do you have any more information about Bertrand than you've seen in the postings above? I don't have a definitive address for him in Aston, and if you do that would be exceptionally useful.
Ann

Hi Ann...Got one that you may want to take a look out and another which you don't feel to sure about, I will start with the one you are not sure of.. Mogg H J, the only H J Mogg on fold3 was born and lived in Wolverton, The J E Mogg I think is the person on the memorial, the connection to the church could be his father who is buried there ?

This person is very hard to research, I have found a Frank Edkins, which could be mistaken for Adkins, he and his family lived in various address in and around Birmingham, his address on his pension records is 60, Oliver Road Erdington, but his sister was living in Whitehouse Street when she married at St Marys in 1916, his mother died in 1902, I am unable to find him on the 1911 census, found his family but not him, what makes it hard is that both Ancestry and FindmyPast hints keep pointing to Adkins, his reg number 1617, and he died 25/01/1917, see what you think, I think he could be cos he may have lived with his sister in Whitehouse St.
I believe that Frank Edkins has a very good chance of being our man. Oliver Road is in Aston reg district, sub-reg Erdington (I have a few others like this). In 1911 it looks like his brother William is living there, married. Had Frank's father Thomas died by the time the memorial names were given in (there is a possible 3Q 1919 death in Aston)? If so, perhaps parents names were given, but a family address? His sister was probably still living in Aston too. For consistency with other entries, I am going to use the CWGC Oliver Road address.

Last edited:
Ann, I found the age and address of Albert Hughes, born 1890, lived at 8 Wallis Place, Aston, Warwickshire, England in 1911, he married Mary Polly Doody in 1913, I am not to sure at one stage Albert lived in Thomas Street and was baptise at St Mary's but not certain..
Hi John
Many thanks. I can't find sufficient evidence that this is the correct Albert. It might be, but I have nothing to cross reference this to allow me to conclude he's the same Albert that married Mary Polly. I have held on record for ongoing review.

Good evening everyone. Just to let you know that I've done the latest update on the website. Incredibly, we are down to 16 names for full identification, plus 15 where we need the addresses. The website now has an animated banner giving the 16 names outstanding (although I've added two other names which are probably dupicates but which could also be genuine names themselves). It's been a privelege working with you, particularly Aston lad and pjmburns, to get us this far. There are now 566 fully identified men.
On 8 June I am going to record a YouTube video in front of the Memorial, as an initial piece in a campaign to promote the Memorial and 'bring it to life' for the Aston community. Part of that will be writing, and encouraging others to write, short biographies of individual men. At some point we'll have an official launch of that campaign, so I'll keep you informed.

Hi Ann, I have a question for you, lets say I was killed in WW1 would I qualify for the memorial, I was born in Aston, I was baptised in Aston Church, I have family who were married there, baptised there and buried there BUT I haven't lived in Aston for almost 53 years ?,

Yes, as long as name is on the Memorial of course! I would put this entry in as "address unknown in Aston" and you'll see some of the records in the Listing stating why they've been included, such as baptism, marriage or having family continuing to reside there. My rationale is that there's every chance someone knows them in Aston and gives their name to the Church. Have you someone in mind?

No Ann, I was just wondering, being Aston born and bred but moved away many years ago, but still think as Aston (old Aston ) as my home, It was just a thought.

Back