• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now one of the chaps I follow on YouTube, mainly for wild camping, put up this video during lockdown. It is to do with the garden, and it reminded me of Midpubs. Has he left and gone up North to Sheffield?

This is about a shed pub and Birmingham gets a mention. Its 40 minutes long but you can see some beautiful pints.

These (Florida Reef Gecko?) are everywhere in my son’s garden. He’s been building a patio in the garden and they’re constantly scuttling across the bricks. At first I was jumping out of my skin when one appeared but now I’m getting used to them. They climb the mozzie mesh around the porch, climb walls, branches, anything. Worst of all they suddenly make a dash for it if you’re digging around shrubs and plants. A bit disconcerting when you’re least expecting it.

202B8701-869E-4BEC-9F31-27E9A08B3B3D.jpeg

In the front garden a much larger species visits every day, the Sandhill Crane. A pair of them turn up late in the afternoon looking for food. They’re quite large so I’ve decided it’s best to give them a wide berth and not venture too close to them.

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes, alligators and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

386C914D-4106-4C95-B9ED-999803F9CFCE.jpeg

Last edited:
These (Florida Reef Gecko?) are everywhere in my son’s garden. He’s been building a patio in the garden and they’re constantly scuttling across the bricks. At first I was jumping out of my skin when one appeared but now I’m getting used to them. They climb the mozzie mesh around the porch, climb walls, branches, anything. Worst of all they suddenly make a dash for it if you’re digging around shrubs and plants. A bit disconcerting when you’re least expecting it.

View attachment 170385

In the front garden a much larger species visits every day, the Sandhill Crane. A pair of them turn up late in the afternoon looking for food. They’re quite large so I’ve decided it’s best to give them a wide berth and not venture too close to them.

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

View attachment 170384
Cranes (The large bird in the second picture) are now nesting in southern England very successfully.

View attachment 170385

It’s been quite a nature lesson since I’ve been here. These are just common species around the garden. If I had the courage to wander into the swampy areas I’d see wild boar, snakes, alligators and more. But despite several attempts to get me out there I’ve had to pass on that thanks. Viv.

View attachment 170384

Busy day today the birds fledged. I checked the garden as sometimes they don’t fly straight away. The mom was looking for them, so I looked and found one hours later. I know I shouldn’t of picked it up but I knew it wouldn’t last the night outside, we have lots of cats. Kindest thing was to put it back in the bird box, hoping the mother come back. Which she did, couldn’t see the second one. 96C694DF-B45B-410B-9106-862426A86E55.jpeg7DAFC6D0-EB8E-4C4D-A22C-C64A0C9A5E78.jpegA266348D-B6DD-42BB-8748-D996235258F8.jpeg don’t hold out for it being there in the morning.

This Cardinal bird and it’s mate regularly come to my sons bird feeder but this is the first time I’ve been able to get a photo before he disappears. Wonderful colouring on these birds. I believe this one is a male, but regardless we’ve named him ‘Nan’ (after my son’s grandma). He usually visits with his mate who is less colourful. Viv.

View attachment 170369
We found one nesting on our lounge wall :laughing: :laughing:
red cardinal.jpg (A souvenir of a holiday in the U.S.)

Busy day today the birds fledged. I checked the garden as sometimes they don’t fly straight away. The mom was looking for them, so I looked and found one hours later. I know I shouldn’t of picked it up but I knew it wouldn’t last the night outside, we have lots of cats. Kindest thing was to put it back in the bird box, hoping the mother come back. Which she did, couldn’t see the second one. View attachment 170421View attachment 170422View attachment 170423 don’t hold out for it being there in the morning.
I wish I had intervened now with the baby robins but they could fly, I don't know if I could have got them back in the garage. The shy robins are tamer now, I think they are on their third brood. They come and break the food up in to tiny pieces at my feet I guess they feel safe. Sparrow and blackbirds do this too, not at my feet but by the kitchen door. Saw another hedgehog or it's the same one.

i had a nest on one of the shed joist. dont know why but it fell off and was on the floor in bits.it's a miracle the chicks were still alive. i put all the broken nest plus some cotton wool in a tupperware box , put the chicks in it and put it on a cupboard close by after a while the mom come in and all was well she found it ok. the chicks survived and was a HAPPY ENDING:grinning:

Baby crow yesterday parents made such a din. He was quite happy we had deep conversations while I refilled the watering can I watered around him, the other birds did not see him as a predator either. Which he isn't at the moment. Lots of baby bird species sharing the feeder and the bird bath, blue tit, great tit, dunnock sparrow, robin, they were wary of the starling but they still shared. Had 3 pairs of blackbirds fighting over the feeder and territory.
The huge branch came down in the high winds, missed the cars next door it was dangling over our drive. It was heavy. An ash. Doug out some saplings? very small tree shoots, and replanted by Barmy's fence, a hazel, an oak, holly, cotoneaster, and sycamore. Lost my root digger I put it down somewhere, luckily we have one each.

Attachments

• Tree.png
    Tree.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Baby Crow.png
    Baby Crow.png
    775.7 KB · Views: 16
This is my all-time favourite flowering climber, Bouganvilea. Not only does it have beautiful, delicate flowers but it’s such a stunning colour too. Wish we could grow them outside at home. I’d have them clambering over everywhere. Viv.
CCAD265F-3B23-4383-83B9-05F5A551EAB7.jpegF33545E5-0792-44E0-AE0C-F3D6F5EE0FCD.jpeg

This is my all-time favourite flowering climber, Bouganvilea. Not only does it have beautiful, delicate flowers but it’s such a stunning colour too. Wish we could grow them outside at home. I’d have them clambering over everywhere. Viv.
View attachment 170494View attachment 170495
I`m sure someone will tell you they are not flowers but not me. I`m also sure they sell them in the UK so maybe they`re hardy ones? Flowers or not, they are gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back