• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good classical music on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just found this thread so I apologise in advance if this question has already been asked/answered.
How old does music have to be to be "classed " as Classical ?

No particular music to share, but does this happen to anyone else, I think it is an age thing ? Listening to music that was 'of your era', for me that is the 60's and 70's, possibly stretching to the 80's. It was good to listen to then, maybe for relaxation or dancing, but hearing it now it brings tears to my eyes and a slightly tremulous voice. I think it is the memories being re-lived, and the music is a trigger. Could be any type of music, orchestra, folk, classical, pop etc. Trouble is, I don't know when it will happen, I can't choose a track to cause it. Happened with a couple of tracks of Celine Dion on TV last night. Luckily Julie and I share that period, so it is not so embarrassing.
Andrew. :sob:

No particular music to share, but does this happen to anyone else, I think it is an age thing ? Listening to music that was 'of your era', for me that is the 60's and 70's, possibly stretching to the 80's. It was good to listen to then, maybe for relaxation or dancing, but hearing it now it brings tears to my eyes and a slightly tremulous voice. I think it is the memories being re-lived, and the music is a trigger. Could be any type of music, orchestra, folk, classical, pop etc. Trouble is, I don't know when it will happen, I can't choose a track to cause it. Happened with a couple of tracks of Celine Dion on TV last night. Luckily Julie and I share that period, so it is not so embarrassing.
I think you are right on point Andrew! Wonderful memories of trad clubs, Ackerman Bilk, Lonnie Donegan Chris Barber etc. My wife knows their names but not the sentimentality of listing with pint of Flowers keg bitter in a pewter tankard.
Where we live (Music City) there is so much music. We even have a Churchillian Society!
When I to the gym 5or6 days per week I listen to 70,80 and90’s on my iPod (don’t laugh). All types including opera.
I don’t think we are alone!

Not "Classical" but one that makes me emotional with fond memories of my Dad's "party piece"
After a couple of pints he would sing this, he even joined the band at my wedding reception and entertained us complete with plenty of handkerchief waving from him and elder relatives:)

some music sends a shiver up my spine.i think it is becouse it brings back memories of both good and bad. one song brings tears to my eys still after 27 years it was on the car radio when i took my dog to be put to sleep. see it's happening now:sob:

Arm round shoulders. Been there.

Incidentally, I love that tune, for happy reasons, played on electric guitar, with a sympathetic and unobtrusive bass and keyboard.
Also Annie Lennox version of Whiter shade of Pale.

Andrew.

Do not be embarrassed. I still play The Crystals and The Ronettes in between the Rolling Stones. It was the music of your youth. I have not told my oldest son yet he is taking me to Hyde Park for the Stones this year If I am going to see Bruce Springsteen and The E Street band with him next year. Saying that I do love the Prom Season.

Arm round shoulders. Been there.

Incidentally, I love that tune, for happy reasons, played on electric guitar, with a sympathetic and unobtrusive bass and keyboard.
Also Annie Lennox version of Whiter shade of Pale.

Andrew.
I first heard this when it was released and sung by Julie Covington who turned down the lead in the theatre.

Last edited:
I think you are right on point Andrew! Wonderful memories of trad clubs, Ackerman Bilk, Lonnie Donegan Chris Barber etc. My wife knows their names but not the sentimentality of listing with pint of Flowers keg bitter in a pewter tankard.
Where we live (Music City) there is so much music. We even have a Churchillian Society!
When I to the gym 5or6 days per week I listen to 70,80 and90’s on my iPod (don’t laugh). All types including opera.
I don’t think we are alone!
I do not know if it still takes place but the Swan Inn Chaddesley Corbett. Every Thursday night they used to have a jazz night, no musicians were booked those that could play instruments of their own just turn up and play. I used to call in the winter months if I had been to Ludlow races on a Thursday. It was a good night and the Guinness was not bad either though I had to watch my intake as I was driving.

Do not be embarrassed. I still play The Crystals and The Ronettes in between the Rolling Stones. It was the music of your youth. I have not told my oldest son yet he is taking me to Hyde Park for the Stones this year If I am going to see Bruce Springsteen and The E Street band with him next year. Saying that I do love the Prom Season.
Not really a Springsteen fan although he lived close to me in NJ. The Crystals, Ronnett's, Four Seasons, Manilow, Phil Collins, Streisand, John Denver, Ella Fitzgerald loved them all!

Not really a Springsteen fan although he lived close to me in NJ. The Crystals, Ronnett's, Four Seasons, Manilow, Phil Collins, Streisand, John Denver, Ella Fitzgerald loved them all!
I only realised Springsteen with the E Street band were so good live when I went to accompany my eldest son to see them. Now Streisand definitely is different class. When at work a guy shouted over who is the best female singer. I said Barbara Streisand, he replied oh I mean Beyoncé and the likes. I said you asked me who was the best female singer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back