• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spaghetti Junction

stitcher. i enjoyed it.the sun seemed to shine more back then. wish i had a quid for every load the tippers moved lol

Hello Pete, (mwOnjm) there is a thread (my days as a driver) and on there I posted that I always enjoyed my job as a lorry driver.

On this day in 1981 a question was raised in the Hse of Lords about Spaghetti Jcn maintenance, including whether high alunmna cement was used.

https://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1981/mar/11/road-inspections-spaghetti-junction

And we can always rely on a politician to make a witty comment, Lord Davies of Leek said on Spaghetti Jcn:

"I do not want to raise a scare, but, in the hagiography St. Pachomius crossed the river Nile on a crocodile. He had a better chance than some people will have 10 years from now getting across Spaghetti Junction".

My question is: But who on earth would want to even try?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't think I've ever seen S G looking so picturesque ! Viv. Edit. Apologies already posted on a different thread. Threads on the same subject now merged into this one.

image.jpeg

Please note there were several threads about Spaghetti Junction, so these have now been merged into this one. Recommend a look at the earlier posts on here. Some great images and information from contributors. Viv.

Two years ago, on a trip from Yorkshire to the Cotswolds, my 5 year old granddaughter was driven on Spaghetti Junction for the first time. She loved it! I told her how I knew it as a crossroads which we used on our way on the Sunday School Outing to Drayton Manor Park. A few weeks ago she told me she wanted to go on it again, so I showed her the Google Maps and she "drove" along it herself. This has re-ignited her wish to physically go over it so I suppose I'll have to plan a trip around it and see how many roads we can go on. Thank goodness we don't live closer or I would be doing it every week until she gets fed up of it! Mom had a jigsaw of an aerial photo which I'm trying to find as a Christmas present.

On this day in 1981 a question was raised in the Hse of Lords about Spaghetti Jcn maintenance, including whether high alunmna cement was used.

https://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1981/mar/11/road-inspections-spaghetti-junction

And we can always rely on a politician to make a witty comment, Lord Davies of Leek said on Spaghetti Jcn:

"I do not want to raise a scare, but, in the hagiography St. Pachomius crossed the river Nile on a crocodile. He had a better chance than some people will have 10 years from now getting across Spaghetti Junction".

My question is: But who on earth would want to even try?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
i bet mick:laughing: dundee was related to him.

Does anyone know how long it took from start to finish to build Spaghetti Junction. Often think of the times I walked down Slade Road, under the railway arch to get t Salford Park, to sail my yacht, or get the No 5 tram up to Lozells and Villa Road, to go to Handsworth Tech

Does anyone know how long it took from start to finish to build Spaghetti Junction. Often think of the times I walked down Slade Road, under the railway arch to get t Salford Park, to sail my yacht, or get the No 5 tram up to Lozells and Villa Road, to go to Handsworth Tech
it took 4 years from 1968 to Opening May 1972

Forman or Clerk of Work
i remember the Clerk of Work in his hut,and the gang man what a great gang to work with mort. the weather was always hot hen. i was a fitter for rmd plant hire.loads of money could be earned then.no h&s.i.left there and worked for c bryant and so did a few of the gang.

Back