• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Use of genealogy section

Morturn said: “It reminds me how little history I know

Mikejee said: “I think that there is still much in archives that have been collected that has not yet been properly exploited”

The above two comments seem to me a fundamental reason for BHF’s continuance. Genealogy can be as much a part of those two statements too.

Yes, it would be nice if recipients of our research efforts put something back into BHF. This is an untapped resource. So before we go ahead and give out that family information, maybe we should be asking them their reason for seeking it: who are the people, what do they know about them so far, eg jobs, schools, their connections with Birmingham ........ anything. As Morturn said, history is also about “ engaging” people. It is within our power to engage members and explore the history with them. Viv.
Like it a lot, could open up a whole new can of history of the City.
Bob

May 2021, Who do you think you are magazine.

Findmypast now have complete records of victims of air raids on London during First World War. 5000 bombings 1915 to 1918. 50 Zepplin raids, 557 people killed and 1,358 injured.

The Ogilby Muster (TOM) is an online platform which gives users access to First World War archives held in Regimental Museums across the UK.

Thank you for this wonderful new resource link for 1900-1920 Regimental Museums.

Interests
Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry - Bodmin
Royal Vetinary Service - Aldershot
Dragoons Cavalry Regiment ?

For research Find My Past. For genetic matches Ancestry. I use both which works out quite pricey.

Hi, ( I don't need help with a 'lookup') :)

I'm fairly new to the genealogy game. Luckily I already have my family tree passed down to me years ago (pre internet days) which I'm attempting to convert to digital format in excel, before the rolls of wallpaper they are written on decays more than it has.

I am starting to fact check names and dates back to 1837 using BMD & GRO ,The tree is surprisingly accurate barring a
few spelling mistakes.

Does anyone know why GRO state it is possible to index marriages on their site when I cannot find that option?
I've sent them email weeks ago with no reply.

cheers

GRO states you can search "historical birth and death indexes". I cannot see where it says marriage indexes.

Here's a quote and link from the government page.

"The GRO provides a public index that lists basic details of every marriage recorded in England and Wales since 1837. The index is divided into four quarters for each year and can be viewed in microfiche format at certain libraries (see our leaflet ‘Discover your Family History’). Marriage indexes are also available to search on FreeBMD."

Like I say, I'm new to this game and the penny may be dropping. I take that as being available to view online but
maybe it means 'in person' at a location which for me would be impracticable as I live in the sticks far south west (UK).

If that is the case, it's not worded very well and had me going round in circles for some time.
Searching on Google also keeps repeating that quote.

Here's a quote and link from the government page.

"The GRO provides a public index that lists basic details of every marriage recorded in England and Wales since 1837. The index is divided into four quarters for each year and can be viewed in microfiche format at certain libraries (see our leaflet ‘Discover your Family History’). Marriage indexes are also available to search on FreeBMD."
The key words are viewed in microfiche format at certain libraries.
Your best bet is to search on FreeBMD or, if subscribed on Ancestry or FMP.
The GRO itself has no such searchable list.

If you want help with getting ref details to order certs from GRO then post names and rough dates on here and one of the members will look for you.

Thanks Janice , (big thumb)

I already have all the names and dates/relationships etc. Just me needing to check for accuracy before submitting
it all to a digital file. Once done I'll 'Join' Ancestry to flesh out the bones so to speak.

Going to be a long haul, the tree starts in 1614 !

I've already ordered some death certificates from the past hundred years for family members who died young which I'd like to know why/how.

It also doesn't help when there are spelling mistakes of names on the certificates made by the registrar.:confused:

Thanks again.

Glad to help. That small print is a nightmare. I am not sure why births and deaths are searchable on GRO and nor marriages. Same as you can't have pdf's of marriage. Must be linked to legality.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Searching the GRO index leaves a lot to be desired, not sure why it's so limited. There are many times when someone is on freebmd but for some reason is not findable on the GRO and as you're not allowed to search without the person's surname you can't use a work around - frustrating.

I have found a selection of Birmingham marriage certificates on Ancestry. I already had several of the originals from the Birmingham Register Office in the days when you could go down there with the details and have them in an hour! Happy days! It might be worth signing up for a free trial to see what they have.
rosie.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Im doing my family tree via ancestry website (my lovely motherinlaw is letting me use her account), I've found out some bits I didnt know like my paternal great-grandfather being born where the arcadian centre is now, he was the 1st gen to be born here, my great great grandfather was born in germany, i hated history at school but im loving it now im older, showing my kids where their family came from, I'm struggling with my great grandmothers line though, theres been some conflict as to who her parents were, i dont know if she was born jewish or converted to marry my great grandfather, her name was Ramah Rachel Wright before she married my great grandfather

Last edited:
Back