• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember playing it and also 'British Bulldog' which probably wouldn't be allowed these days ... :)

I used play a game that was called British Bulldog at school in the late 70s, doesn't look as if it's the same game as the one in the photo.

It started with one person in the middle of the playground and everyone else on one side. Person in the middle chose someone and they had to get to the other side of the playground without the middle person grabbing them and saying British Bulldog 1 2 3.

If they made it to the other side, middle person chose someone else but if they were caught they also became a middle person. Game continued back and forth until one person was left on the side. Games could involve 30, 40 or 50 children.

I used play a game that was called British Bulldog at school in the late 70s, doesn't look as if it's the same game as the one in the photo.

It started with one person in the middle of the playground and everyone else on one side. Person in the middle chose someone and they had to get to the other side of the playground without the middle person grabbing them and saying British Bulldog 1 2 3.

If they made it to the other side, middle person chose someone else but if they were caught they also became a middle person. Game continued back and forth until one person was left on the side. Games could involve 30, 40 or 50 children.
I've just had a session with my friend Google and you could be right, but when we played it (far back in the last century) at Aldridge Road Secondary Modern we called it British Bulldog ... and injuries were common.
I was glad when I left to go to the more refined Handsworth Techical School where we were not allowed to play such games in the playground ... :grinning:

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

I've just had a session with my friend Google and you could be right, but when we played it (far back in the last century) at Aldridge Road Secondary Modern we called it British Bulldog ... and injuries were common.
I was glad when I left to go to the more refined Handsworth Techical School where we were not allowed to play such games in the playground ... :grinning:
Yes you're right, MWS, Old Mohawk's picture is showing Polly on the Mopstick.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
What you call Polly on a Mopstick was known as Packhorses at Uplands Secondary Boys in Smethwick. Boy stood with his back to a wall, cradling next boy's head under his arm. The rest of the team form a back. The other team leapfrog on and the first win if they can call Packhorses, Packhorses, 1,2,3. before back collapses. Banned on school premises in my time. Late 60s early 70s. A rough game!

Played this at Scouts in a Church Hall in Bearwood. A few lads went into the Army. 'Character forming' I think Baden-Powell called it in Scouting for Boys...

Character forming !!?? . Perhaps the guy whose head was against the wall under the other's arm later became one of the "Donkeys2 who became generals in WW1. Definitely a possibility of brain damage.

Character forming !!?? . Perhaps the guy whose head was against the wall under the other's arm later became one of the "Donkeys2 who became generals in WW1. Definitely a possibility of brain damage.
I was being ironic. But I was brought up by my protective elderly widowed mother and British Bulldog as MWS described it (not Packhorses or Polly on a Mopstick) was played regularly in Scouts. Got me used to lads before I went to a rough secondary school. We used Quarterstaffs too and singlestick. All supervised by scoutmasters. These games are banned, naturally.

Is that real? Sounds like something someone would come up for April Fool's day/
Very real. Mustard is a skin irritant, it causes blood to rush to your skin. Bit like deep heat or raljex or fiery jack. It is fine to put your feet in a dilute solution. Watch you don't get any on your delicate areas though. A very old fashioned remedy as used by mom born 1908. Mustard plasters were a thing as well, but I would avoid them as the skin on your body is more delicate than on your feet.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back