• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

A quiet day looking down Bull Street towards Corporation Street in 1957. They made the the street lights interesting with fluted decorative posts even if they were using vertical fluorescent type light tubes ... I remember them and at the time thought they looked modern and neat! One of the old 'corner protection' bollards still there by the street light on the Temple Row corner and the old Rackhams.
Bull Street 1957.jpg
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/street-furniture.42920/post-607273

Today only the former Lewis's building on the left was in the 1957 photo.
BullStnow.png

A quiet day looking down Bull Street towards Corporation Street in 1957. They made the the street lights interesting with fluted decorative posts even if they were using vertical fluorescent type light tubes ... I remember them and at the time thought they looked modern and neat! One of the old 'corner protection' bollards still there by the street light on the Temple Row corner and the old Rackhams.
View attachment 169772
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/street-furniture.42920/post-607273

Today only the former Lewis's building on the left was in the 1957 photo.
View attachment 169773
I like the earlier pic better!

A working tram in Corporation Street stopped just before the Old Square to let passengers board. The date would be before 1950.
No8CorporationSt.jpg

The white cross in the photo below shows approximately where the tram was stopped although the trams had gone before the date when this photo was taken.
corporationSt_oldsquare.jpg

The view today ... :rolleyes:
CorporationSt_Old Square.jpg

In my childhood and teenage years this view along New Street was very familiar to me. In the distance is the Times Furnishing building which endured ww2 bombing as buildings around it were bombed to rubble. The Co Op on the far left, a Milk Bar on the right and of course the Odeon Cinema.
New_Street_1951.jpg

The 'Times' building is still there. It survived while everything around it changed. I suppose New Street of today has to be better with trees planted and no traffic allowed ... ;)
NewSt_now.jpg

At the Cotteridge tram terminus a conductress stopped the traffic and also a policeman on his bike as she swung the collector pole to the other end of the tram ready for the journey back to the city centre. A man also makes sure that young passengers can safely get to the pavement.
Tram_820_Cotteridge.jpgphoto by D.J.Norton date 24/2/52

Today the old trams are long gone but the shop buildings on the left are still there.
A441Cotteridge.jpg

At the Cotteridge tram terminus a conductress stopped the traffic and also a policeman on his bike as she swung the collector pole to the other end of the tram ready for the journey back to the city centre. A man also makes sure that young passengers can safely get to the pavement.
View attachment 170588photo by D.J.Norton date 24/2/52

Today the old trams are long gone but the shop buildings on the left are still there.
View attachment 170590
The trams and the Outer Circle bus have such fond memories.
Even after the trams were gone my memories are of catching the front wheel of my bike in the tracks and always at Aston Cross for some reason!

The trams and the Outer Circle bus have such fond memories.
Even after the trams were gone my memories are of catching the front wheel of my bike in the tracks and always at Aston Cross for some reason!
I have similar memories - a complete circuit of the city on the front seat of the number 11 Outer Circle bus.

I fell off my bike when my front wheel went in the tracks at Six Ways Birchfield Rd. There is a pic of the tracks and place where I had to sit down to recover in the post link below ... :)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birchfield-road-perry-barr.38467/post-733467

After an average performance at normal schools with the words 'could have done better' often written on my school reports, I left and started a five year engineering apprenticeship during which I was required to attend a college course of one day and three nights per week. I was at Aston Technical College up to the mid 1960s and with the help of brilliant teachers found out that I was cleverer than I thought I was and ended up with many certificates and diplomas.
So I have fond memories of Aston Technical College seen below in 1910. It was located on the corner of Whitehead Road and Ettington Road.
bcz.jpeg
Today it has been replaced by a modern building - probably nice inside - and is also the local library.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
After an average performance at normal schools with the words 'could have done better' often written on my school reports, I left and started a five year engineering apprenticeship during which I was required to attend a college course of one day and three nights per week. I started at Aston Technical College in the mid 1960s and with the help of brilliant teachers found out that I was cleverer than I thought I was and ended up with many certificates and diplomas.
So I have fond memories of Aston Technical College seen below in 1910. It was located on the corner of Whitehead Road and Ettington Road.
View attachment 170772
Today it has been replaced by a modern building - probably nice inside - and is also the local library.
View attachment 170773
oldMohawk, I took some classes there as a part of ONC and my apprenticeship. Maybe 55/56. Physics with Dr Thomas? Always work a cloak and sometimes mortarboard to class! Learned a lot from him!

Hi Richard, I been looking back through some old documents and can see I attended Aston Tech in 1959 just after completing National Service in the RAF and continued until 1964. I remember that I really wanted to learn and the teaching staff were excellent and dedicated.

Back