• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of fashion. We had a car in the village yesterday with the musical air horns. Da da da da dah---etc. Haven't heard those in yonks.

air horns.jpeg
Kept hearing them all over the village.
Andrew.

Sugar tongs? Anyone used them?
Have just found 2 silver ones at my late Dad's flat. Will post photo when I have cleaned them up.
Here we are - although on cleaning they are EPNS not silver. The small spoon on the right is, of course, a mustard spoon. Today I found the cruet set it belongs to (I think) salt and pepper pots and mustard pot complete with bue glass insert. All are black at the moment. and awaiting cleanng.

Attachments

• sugar tongs.jpg
    sugar tongs.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 7
Here we are - although on cleaning they are EPNS not silver. The small spoon on the right is, of course, a mustard spoon. Today I found the cruet set it belongs to (I think) salt and pepper pots and mustard pot complete with bue glass insert. All are black at the moment. and awaiting cleanng.
Beware you think they need cleaning. The trade call that patina.

Believe me - the black colour would not be called patina.
I accept the colour they are now might be.
My cousin till they opened a high end jewellery shop was an antique dealer, his advice don’t clean it and never throw it away it might have value. This was good advice as my sister in law had a dish looked something like an old ash tray, turned out to be a poriger if that’s how it’s spelt solid silver but made in Birmingham for a duchess in the 1800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back