• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to JCB, this looks like an American machine, but I the UK Ruysto Bucyruse were king, hard to beat an RB22 face shovel, I last used one, an old dog ,from the fifties in 1991. You knew at the end of the day, it was not operated by hydraulics.
Bob
Bob, you are correct Bucyrus (sp) is an American based company that is alive andwell.

My grandmother had a smaller one than the one above. Her house had a bath. The galvanised one was used to put the Shallots in after we peeled them in October, then salt shook over the top which was then covered with fresh water left in front of the open fire to keep it warm. 24 hours later drained Shallots put in jars and her own made spiced vinegar added plus two teaspoons of soft brown sugar added this would keep the Shallots crisp.
When I was a nipper, I remember being bathed in the galvanised bath by my Mom in my Nan's kitchen, right in front of the Dometic stove in their old house in Aston. It was nice and toasty warm in there!

Any time the old Steptoe and Son show came on TV over the years, it always made me chuckle with old Albert in the tub with the pickled onions, when Harold walked in on him!

It is hard to believe those two couldn't stand each other in real life! What an act.

Nan died in 1956 when I was just 4 years old, but the memories of that old house and taking a bath in the kitchen, are etched in my memory as clear as ever.

I also remember my Dad taking a chamber pot down to the off license on Allesley Street for his Dad draught beer. I went with him a couple of times, watched the beer being pumped.

Out of fashion. We had a car in the village yesterday with the musical air horns. Da da da da dah---etc. Haven't heard those in yonks.

air horns.jpeg
Kept hearing them all over the village.
Andrew.

Sugar tongs? Anyone used them?
Have just found 2 silver ones at my late Dad's flat. Will post photo when I have cleaned them up.
Here we are - although on cleaning they are EPNS not silver. The small spoon on the right is, of course, a mustard spoon. Today I found the cruet set it belongs to (I think) salt and pepper pots and mustard pot complete with bue glass insert. All are black at the moment. and awaiting cleanng.

Attachments

• sugar tongs.jpg
    sugar tongs.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 7
Here we are - although on cleaning they are EPNS not silver. The small spoon on the right is, of course, a mustard spoon. Today I found the cruet set it belongs to (I think) salt and pepper pots and mustard pot complete with bue glass insert. All are black at the moment. and awaiting cleanng.
Beware you think they need cleaning. The trade call that patina.

Believe me - the black colour would not be called patina.
I accept the colour they are now might be.
My cousin till they opened a high end jewellery shop was an antique dealer, his advice don’t clean it and never throw it away it might have value. This was good advice as my sister in law had a dish looked something like an old ash tray, turned out to be a poriger if that’s how it’s spelt solid silver but made in Birmingham for a duchess in the 1800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back