• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

I can't recall who supplied my father's parents (the "sterilised" ones!), but my mother's mother (with whom we lived) and both her sisters worked at the Co-op, and we only ever had pasteurised.
Birmingham Co-Op supplied both types of milk. Those of my friends who had sterilised were in Co-Op supplied families, the 'pasterurised people' had milk from other companies so I always associated sterilised with the Co-Op. going by what I could see on their milk floats sterilised was their best seller.

I too recall Birmingham Co-Op suppling both types of milk. We always had sterilised milk, then when my younger brother was born, mum ordered an extra bottle of pasteurised too with the larger crown top.

I still have unhomogenized Channel Island Gold Top milk in bottle delivered to my home still.

Birmingham Co-Op supplied both types of milk. Those of my friends who had sterilised were in Co-Op supplied families, the 'pasterurised people' had milk from other companies so I always associated sterilised with the Co-Op. going by what I could see on their milk floats sterilised was their best seller.
Spargone, we always had a bottle of each. Never knew why always like pasteurized!

I too recall Birmingham Co-Op suppling both types of milk. We always had sterilised milk, then when my younger brother was born, mum ordered an extra bottle of pasteurised too with the larger crown top.

I still have unhomogenized Channel Island Gold Top milk in bottle delivered to my home still.
we had it del from the creamery fresh.but sadly they closed down:yum

We had a "vending machine" at school back in the late 1940's into the 1950's - that's if you could call the teacher one - as we were all given a 1/3 pint bottle of milk each morning!! We also had school dinners which cost a few pennies, but were free if your family could not afford it. Then the nit-nurse would come round. .....................

Not a Brmingham photo but remember these? 1960s milk vending machine. But how did they work in terms of keeping the milk fresh ? Were they just a large, electric plug-in fridge? Don't remember seeing any wires, although they were usually sited outside shops. Viv.
View attachment 114805
I can remember one on the Coventry Road, between St Benedict's Road and maybe Heather Road?
I loved the strawberry flavoured milk, and it was always cold.

Having worked for CWS Wholesale Grocers in Ladywood, Mom was a big co-op fan. I drank pasteurised until I was 14 or so, while she drank sterilised. Both in bottles in Bearwood. We drank a bottle each a day, most of hers in endless cups of tea. Ken the local milk man was a character and helped the older people by changing lightbulbs etc. I had free school milk as well, which I drank with pleasure. Ice in the bottles to suck in winter. I know some (my wife for one) hate milk as they can't tolerate it.

It was always pasteurised at home, but Mum had a friend in Handsworth, and it was always 'sterra' over there, with the long neck bottle. Didn't like that at all. Now we have pasteurised semi skimmed for cereals, and long life semi skimmed in tea and coffee at home. Tastes change. I still like milk shakes, there used to be various flavoured powders available that went in a glass of milk. Whisk with hand or electric tool. The milk bar machines did a better whisking job though. Lovely.
Andrew.

It was always pasteurised at home, but Mum had a friend in Handsworth, and it was always 'sterra' over there, with the long neck bottle. Didn't like that at all. Now we have pasteurised semi skimmed for cereals, and long life semi skimmed in tea and coffee at home. Tastes change. I still like milk shakes, there used to be various flavoured powders available that went in a glass of milk. Whisk with hand or electric tool. The milk bar machines did a better whisking job though. Lovely.
Andrew.
Andrew, we use 2% milk but every once in a while, I sneak in whole milk. My wife (Italian/American) is an avid tea drinker. She used to give my mother a run for her money!

I was advised by a young Yorkshire girl on how to make perfect Yorkshire Pudding. Always use sterilised milk the less water content the better and make the mixture at least 24 hours before and keep it in the fridge. Beef dripping in oven till it is on the verge of smoking. IT WORKs.

Back