• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Dixons Grammar School

What years were you at GD???
1963/4-1969. I was in 1A with Rudi. One event that has stayed with me over the years was our introduction to Art with Pat Hanks. He espoused a very 'radical' (but quite correct) opinion that plastic flowers and 'Paint by Numbers' were a ghastly insult to nature and the art world. Mr. Hanks said that we should never lower ourselves to using a 'Paint by Numbers' 'kit' and that if any of us had plastic flowers in our homes, then we should throw them away immediately. It transpired that Rudi's mom and Ed Hawkins's mom had plastic flower displays which were subsequently dispatched to dustbins by our gallant two. Both Rudi and Ed recounted sad tales of angry mothers, but basked in the light of a delighted Pat Hanks.

Last edited:
1963/4-1969. I was in 1A with Rudi. One event that has stayed with me over the years was our introduction to Art with Pat Hanks. He espoused a very 'radical' (but quite correct) opinion that plastic flowers and 'Paint by Numbers' were a ghastly insult to nature and the art world. Mr. Hanks said that we should never lower ourselves to using a 'Paint by Numbers' 'kit' and that if any of us had plastic flowers in our homes, then we should throw them away immediately. It transpired that Rudi's mom and Ed Hawkins's mom had plastic flower displays which were subsequently dispatched to dustbins by our gallant two. Both Rudi and Ed recounted sad tales of angry mothers, but basked in the light of a delighted Pat Hanks.
We were at GD for the same years - I was there 1963 to 1970. Did you do sixth form? I do not recall your name and you probably don't recall mine.

We were at GD for the same years - I was there 1963 to 1970. Did you do sixth form? I do not recall your name and you probably don't recall mine.
No I did not do 6th form. Sadly, I did not take GD very seriously. It was after a poor showing one year that a teacher told me that "...someone has to sweep the roads." After that I lost interest and in my opinion at the time, was of the opinion that GD was a stagnant relic, staffed by some teaching staff who failed to recognize the basic concept of encouraging pupils to learn, as opposed to just ordering them to memorize facts, in order to pass ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels. On reflection, I should have risen to the occasion, as I have for most of my life when faced with adversity. My poor showing at GD did not hold me back in life as I eventually found my niche and had a successful career, with a corporation, in the United States.

Really sorry to hear about Rudolph Smith. I was in 1A with him back in 1963 and remember him as a happy person. Always smiling. In a later year I remember facing him at cricket for the Britons against the Saxons and having to get out of the way of a particularly fierce delivery which lifted off a full length. A smiling apology from Rudolph followed before he disappeared into the distance to start his run up for the next delivery.
I remember the incident with Pat Hanks and the plastic flowers and whenever I see a painting by numbers book I always remember Mr Hanks disparaging remarks.
That's a good picture of the 1963-64 Rugby team in the URL posted by Bob Hughes .I assume it's the under 12s. I certainly recognise John McConnell who was hooker. I was reserve hooker so didn't make the picture although there was a photograph taken at the time of the under 12's 'B' team but sad to say my copy went missing many years ago. I think we only played one game which ended in a 3 - 3 draw.

Hi BG. I can only assume that you were at GD between 1963 and 1968, or 1970 if you knew Rudi. Did you do the sixth form. If you did your name would appear on the attached list. 1970 list.jpgCould I ask you what your name is.

I started in 1963 but left in 1969 so am not on the list although I recognise many of the names shown. After starting in 1A I sank without trace into the C steam and left after one year spent in 6G along with Harry Flashman among others.

Definitely Dave Green. Yes, Greg Turvey. Glen Hatter, I believe.
I’ve just come across this forum. I was at GD between 1961(I think!) and 1968. My name is Andy Normansell, known as ‘Scotch’ for some reason in my later years there (which is ironic really as I went to St Andrews uni and have lived in Scotland ever since).
My memory is poor but I recognise many of the names of my fellow inmates. I palled around with Dave Harris and ? Quinn in first and second years and later with one of the Hawkes twins (Peter, I think) and John Paramore, and Jeff Heath and Chris Haynes in sixth year among others. I remember Julius Lezgold and ? Wilson who I think lived on Hagley Road not far from the school. I remember I had a slight altercation with ? Davies, I think in second year, that earned me 100 lines from a prefect! I was also caught by the deputy head bunking off assembly and had to report to his office - the dressing down was something not to be repeated lightly. I made the mistake of sitting on the chair in front of his desk because I thought that’s what it was there for! That incident was problematic because I was due to give a talk to class on Methodism in general studies and of course I was late and someone had removed my crib cards from my desk. I did get them back though!
My most vivid memories of teachers were of JC Endall, Mr Trout (coincidentally his daughter was at St Andrews a couple of years ahead of me), Mr Fisher, Mr Fletcher, Mr Field, Mr Quant and one of the physics teachers who had a penchant for throwing wooden blackboard dusters (not at me but I was nevertheless traumatised when it happened!).
Incidentally, my memory of the stink bomb incident at Five Ways was that it was Mr Fisher who was playing the piano and he tried several times to get a tune out of the tampered-with piano. But as I said my memory is poor.
JC Endall and Mr Trout were regulars on the Scout camps and Jeff Heath’s dad drove us and all the gear there in one of his removal vans. I remember I broke my nose playing British Bulldog at Scouts after school in the gym.
It was very sad when Mr Rumsby became ill - a stroke I think. He made an appearance at sports day on the steps of the pavilion later that year unable really to speak. He was a great head.

Janet,
Just got onto this site, not very up to date with my iPad and it’s capabilities!
I am Gillian Richards and was in the group with you in Vallouise. Lots of nostalgia when smelling hay
and fresh coffee which we sometimes ate with French bread ( no butter! ) and dark chocolate squares. Do you remember? Other teachers I recall were Mrs Sweet ( art ) and Mrs Whitehead
(English) who used to enact Lady Macbeth with wringing hands.
I can recall every single name in the “ b” group but have only come across June Poynten,
Judy Wilson, Gina Knight and Nesta Clarke , the latter two at Cadbury’s as juniors.

I think maybe you may have met my mother too- she worked in the baby/wool shop by the bus stop
on Linden Road Selly Oak, and I think your mum might have shopped there.

I am so pleased to find someone from the old class, ogling at the boys through the window, being permitted to push desks back to dance to our music- ( I think we may have been pioneers for this activity! ).etc.. Barbara Sherwood taught me the Square Tango!

Hope you see this soon, I would love to find out more.
Hello ladies, can either of you identify any of the teachers in the attached photo, which was taken inn1946. I can recognise Miss Bund, Miss Curry, Miss Saul, Miss Player.

Hello ladies, can either of you identify any of the teachers in the attached photo, which was taken inn1946. I can recognise Miss Bund, Miss Curry, Miss Saul, Miss Player.

Attachments

• 83DAF151-BB89-43CC-8867-B581C8F8116B.jpeg
    83DAF151-BB89-43CC-8867-B581C8F8116B.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 02FE76DD-374E-4BBC-9B1F-476B12831EFE.jpeg
    02FE76DD-374E-4BBC-9B1F-476B12831EFE.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 14
Hello,
This is Fred Kilby, I'm living in Nairobi these days. I graduated in the summer of 1971 and had a chance to reminisce with Robert Hodgson in May after a year locked down in Oxford (Covid not the jail). Hard to believe its been 50 years . Too bad there wasn't a reunion. All the best to everyone.
Been meaning to respond to your post for a while. It's Phil Street here. I was part of 1964 - 71 cohort. Not sure you'll remember as it was over 50 years now, but we were mates in 6th form along with Brian ( Harvey) Andrews. I remember you as an amazing scholar, you lived in Northfield, did great at school and went to Keble I think. When I was planning to reply to your post I also thought about a number of other people at GD who I was friends with,. Jonathan (Johnnie) Abrahams who wanted to be and became a barrister. Well done Jonathan. Then other mates like Michael Williams who like me and also Nick Wood and John Ternant suffered as Birmingham City supporters. We squandered our Saturday afternoons standing with my dad on the terraces of Cattell Rd moaning about that terrible football team
There was also Pete Muller and Malcolm Ridout, who like you Fred went on to Oxbridge, but not forgetting others whose company I enjoyed Tim Sanders, John Rae, Phil Bond & Fred Williams.
Although I never really enjoyed secondary school it did get better as it went along
Unfortunately, not many teachers for whom I have positive memories. Malcolm Hannay, John Endall and the head when I left Bill Mends.
We had fun and caused some issues as part of the sixth form society and I remember going to a careers event at Aston Uni and sat there reading the Morning Star. A tiny bit rebellious.
There were a few women I remember too. Mainly because of seeing them quite a lot as they had boyfriends in the sixth form - Sarah Merrit, Inger Fetter, Jenny Bomber - and also some women from the year below whose surnames I can't remember after half a century, but who were nice people Sue, Lesley and Yasmin.
Hope you're well and to all those who I spent much of the sixties and early seventies with, hope you're doing good too.

Didn't he teach French?
Yes, other things too. Very much a comedian, as well! During an exam, someone asked him the time. He pulled up the sleeve on his jumper, revealing five watches up his arm, and proceeded to tell us the time in New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Berlin, ending with "and half three here!"

Phil Street
Been meaning to respond to your post for a while. It's Phil Street here. I was part of 1964 - 71 cohort. Not sure you'll remember as it was over 50 years now, but we were mates in 6th form along with Brian ( Harvey) Andrews. I remember you as an amazing scholar, you lived in Northfield, did great at school and went to Keble I think. When I was planning to reply to your post I also thought about a number of other people at GD who I was friends with,. Jonathan (Johnnie) Abrahams who wanted to be and became a barrister. Well done Jonathan. Then other mates like Michael Williams who like me and also Nick Wood and John Ternant suffered as Birmingham City supporters. We squandered our Saturday afternoons standing with my dad on the terraces of Cattell Rd moaning about that terrible football team
There was also Pete Muller and Malcolm Ridout, who like you Fred went on to Oxbridge, but not forgetting others whose company I enjoyed Tim Sanders, John Rae, Phil Bond & Fred Williams.
Although I never really enjoyed secondary school it did get better as it went along
Unfortunately, not many teachers for whom I have positive memories. Malcolm Hannay, John Endall and the head when I left Bill Mends.
We had fun and caused some issues as part of the sixth form society and I remember going to a careers event at Aston Uni and sat there reading the Morning Star. A tiny bit rebellious.
There were a few women I remember too. Mainly because of seeing them quite a lot as they had boyfriends in the sixth form - Sarah Merrit, Inger Fetter, Jenny Bomber - and also some women from the year below whose surnames I can't remember after half a century, but who were nice people Sue, Lesley and Yasmin.
Hope you're well and to all those who I spent much of the sixties and early seventies with, hope you're doing good too.
Phil Street, one of my deputies when I was School Captain during my final school year 1970/71. Must say I have more memories of a rather academic sophisticated Malcolm Ridout than of you. Remember you as a freckled blondish person mad about football which I loathed. What did you become after leaving school in 1971?
I went on a Rhodes Scholarship to Canada for 3 weeks summer 1971 a gift from the school then entered Birmingham Medical School and graduated as a doctor in 1976. Still working as a GP but in an American private family practice in south Germany. I’ve lived in Germany since 1997 and am married to a German girl and we have an 18 year old handsome son.
I have no contact with anyone from GD. Some I remember and have fond memories of whilst others I try to forget! Most of all I remember my time playing violin in the school orchestra under the direction of Cecil Fisher. Fond memories too of Bill Mends, Malcolm Hannay, David Proctor, Les Summerton and Gibson the deputy Head.

By the way the above
Phil Street

Phil Street, one of my deputies when I was School Captain during my final school year 1970/71. Must say I have more memories of a rather academic sophisticated Malcolm Ridout than of you. Remember you as a freckled blondish person mad about football which I loathed. What did you become after leaving school in 1971?
I went on a Rhodes Scholarship to Canada for 3 weeks summer 1971 a gift from the school then entered Birmingham Medical School and graduated as a doctor in 1976. Still working as a GP but in an American private family practice in south Germany. I’ve lived in Germany since 1997 and am married to a German girl and we have an 18 year old handsome son.
I have no contact with anyone from GD. Some I remember and have fond memories of whilst others I try to forget! Most of all I remember my time playing violin in the school orchestra under the direction of Cecil Fisher. Fond memories too of Bill Mends, Malcolm Hannay, David Proctor, Les Summerton and Gibson the deputy Head.
By the way the above was written by me David Hart!

Back