• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now back in Florida and came across these gorgeous magnolias on my afternoon walk with my granddaughter. The trees are a triangular shape and grow very tall. Never seen anything like these before. The flower heads are enormous and a soft milky white . Viv.

9655AC41-89A2-4D5C-8919-9BA3AB775DA2.jpeg

9E15CB58-8026-46F5-A421-053C1B2CF1B9.jpeg

Snails & slugs were decimating my newly planted Dahlias, so i sprinkled some slug pellets around the dahlias only to be informed by a neighbour that the pellets were banned for use in this country. Anyway the next two days i picked up nearly 20 snails & slugs that had eaten the pellets & and buried them so birds wouldn`t eat them. I didn`t know about them being banned.

Snails & slugs were decimating my newly planted Dahlias, so i sprinkled some slug pellets around the dahlias only to be informed by a neighbour that the pellets were banned for use in this country. Anyway the next two days i picked up nearly 20 snails & slugs that had eaten the pellets & and buried them so birds wouldn`t eat them. I didn`t know about them being banned.
Smudged, in our other house (recently moved) for some reasons we had a lot of slugs particularly in the spring. I got some sort of pellet that they would eat then cause them to explode. When my wife found about that she made me throw the box away! The slugs remained!

i get lots of small slugsand snails on my concrete path of a night after the algie, next morning there are slime marks every were, so i have to watch the dog dont eat the snails, (no he is not a french poodle)becouse they carry lung worms.

Smudged, in our other house (recently moved) for some reasons we had a lot of slugs particularly in the spring. I got some sort of pellet that they would eat then cause them to explode. When my wife found about that she made me throw the box away! The slugs remained!
i know if they walk on salt they explode.
Slug pellets have being banned because they mainly contain a pesticide called Metaldehyde which poses “an unacceptable” risk to birds and mammals such as hedgehogs. There are different types of slug pellets on the market but the ones that have been banned are the ones that contain an organic compound called metaldehyde.

Last edited:
According to the papers there will be a "blood" moon tomorrow night when it takes on a reddish hue due to an eclipse.
Just looked at the weather forecast for this area, typically cloud and rain!!

There are sparrows nesting under the eaves above but I haven't seen them go near the strawberries as yet.

Though I'm not a great fan of strawberries, so I don't mind sharing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back