• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fletcher Bros Photographers Wheeler Street

Rachel170

Brummie babby
Firstly thank you for allowing me to join this forum.
My youngest daughter (10) has to do a family history piece of homework and my partner has finally allowed me to do his family history and we have come up with what I believe to be his Great Great Grandad and his brother running/owning the FLetcher Bro's Photographers in 148 (then 214) Wheeler Street (Lozells, Aston). I believe that James was actually living at 146 with his family also.
Beyond finding the dates of the business from 1876 through to 1900 ..... (where I can find no further trace, as the name changes to Lowe Benjamin in 1913, which makes sense as I believe James died in late 1901 and Samuel possibly late 1882 but I'm looking in to that as it the studio changes name to Samuel in 1883, so might not be correct death record) .... I can't really find much other information. I'd be interested to know how each brother died, pictures etc of them and the building.
I feel like I am missing something as I've found pictures that they took for others but nothing about them. I'm not a local (my origins are Kent) so Tamworth/Birmingham/Warwickshire history is all completely new research to me so I'd be very grateful on where to continue my search. It would be fantastic to be able to help my daughter with producing an amazing piece of homework complete with pictures of her ancestors and their business.
Would also be happy to hear from anyone who is also related to this line of Fletcher's. I am at the beginning and would love to hear more about them as I have already uncovered a few bits that were quite surprising and I think I am in for a colourful journey x

Fletcher Bros (photographers) were at 212 Wheeler Street in Kelly's 1905 & 1908.

Also in Kelly's 1900 there is a James Fletcher (photographer) at 232 Lichfield Road and Fletcher Bros. at 212 & 214 Wheeler Street.

Last edited:
I can't really find much other information. I'd be interested to know how each brother died, pictures etc of them and the building.
Welcome to the forum.
To find out how they died would need spending money to buy death certificates. That would provide cause of death, where they died and their normal address. plus occupation and the name of the informant - that last one could be useful if it was a relative.
I am not sure what you are using to search but Ancestry death searches give reference numbers which are used to order from GRO (free to register) - or you can search on GRO and find the ref there.

You could also search the newspaper archives - free to reg and search but you have to pay to read the articles

Fletcher Bros (photographers) were at 212 Wheeler Street in Kelly's 1905 & 1908.

Also in Kelly's 1900 there is a James Fletcher (photographer) at 232 Lichfield Road and Fetcher Bros. at 212 & 214 Wheeler Street.
oh i shall have to relook those dates as I didn't spot the move. Thank you x

I assume you have seen the 1881 census with Samuel at 146/148 Wheeler Street with wife Mary Jane plus chldren including Samuel J a photographers assistant.
It is mistranscribed as James on Ancestry.
1652545557082.png

The burial record is on ancestry - if you search for James you get a page like this:
1652545876730.png
Click on see all and search for the entry which says

1652545949913.png
it was page 6 for me

One of the entries is the one I posted.

At one time they also had a business at 15 Aston St, in addition to the Wheeler St address, One of the Fletchers(presumably Samuel Jems, referred to by Janice, split away from them in 1883. In the advert the Royal letter patent refer not to the firm but the luxograph, which seems to have been (ref at https://universityofglasgowlibrary....-images-the-glasgow-photographic-association/) a peculiar devixe to get very intense light for photography

Birm & Aston chronicle 5.7.1884.jpgBirm & Aston chronicle 13.9.1884.jpgBirm mail. 3.5.1887.jpgBirm & Aston Chronicle 23.6.1883.jpg

oh wow! I spent hours looking and came up with nothing. How did you find that so quick?
Edited to add I still can't find it. Where was it please?

Last edited:
oh i shall have to relook those dates as I didn't spot the move. Thank you x
I have a school photo taken by James Fletcher photography of 232 Lichefield Road, Aston in about 1888 if that's of interest? It features Wilfred Wrench my great grandfather.

Back