• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The garrison pub

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...would anyone have any half decent pics of the garrison pub garrison lane please

many thianks

lyn

Lyn

I'm sure there are a lot better photos of the Garrison than this one already on the forum.

Attachments

• Small Heath Garrison Lane The Garrison Tavern.jpg
    Small Heath Garrison Lane The Garrison Tavern.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 64
thanks phil i have a quick look on the forum but cant find anything at the min...will keep searching

lyn

I hope this one is ok

Attachments

• Garrison.jpg
    Garrison.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 46
thanks michael those are great expecially nice to see the inside shots...as far as i know the pub has been sold...no idea what the plans are for it though...

lyn

Thanks all, need pics for a potential painting for a member, certainly have enough material now. Member interested in pub of years ago so will base painting on old black and white pic but later pics give me clearer view of pub details. Thanks once again. Eric

Stephen

Never having seen the Peaky Blinder television series I don't know much other than what I have read, but I believe in the series it is a fictitious pub called The Garrison Tavern, it seems that they have chosen real names for fictitious locations perhaps knowing that the Garrison was called the Garrison Inn back then and not the Tavern. Anyway I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Sailors Return on the junction of Watery Lane & Great Barr St was a more likely hang out for the gang.

Thank you all for images, painting now completed. Thanks once again herewith painting Eric

Attachments

• Garrison Tavern.jpg
    Garrison Tavern.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
How do I find out who were the licensees for the remainder of the 1920s?
Could be difficult, on Ancestry Kelly's jumps from 1921 to 1932, there may be licensees listed in the newspapers on the British Newspaper Archives website when a license is up for renewal, if a subscribed member can look for you. Other than that I don't know, more knowledgeable members may have an idea and be able to help.

I can add one extra landlord from the 1924 Kellys. This was Frederick William Heald again this probably refers to the year before, 1923. ther online electoral roll gives some further information below:
electoral roll garrison tavern 1920-1930.jpg

Back