• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

betholem row

Beth Olem in Hebrew means a cemetery, literally house of the world. In Hebrew vowels are not really written so 'a' or 'e' is the same thing, sometimes you will see it written Beth Olam. Beth means house, Olem means the world. Likewise in Bethlehem, which means house of bread.
Many of the world's cities have Jewish cemeteries hidden away. Pity they have to be hidden like this, but it does keep them safe from desicration, which is something that happens a lot to Jewish and other minority cemeteries.

There are a couple of old Jewish cemeteries I know of near my area of London, both are kept locked up as they are no longer used. At least they are still there and I'm sure they provide a good habitat for wildlife.

just reading this thread again and i assume that as the railway compulsory purchased the burial ground they are responsible for its up keep or not as the case maybe...very sad

lyn

Back