• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row

Hi Mark, great photos.

Do you have any near the end of New Town Row going towards the City Centre by the canal?

Phil

Hi Phil - possibly - I am working through lots of negatives - I certainly have some of a bit further up the canal from Newtown Row, by Snow Hill tunnels and the Post Office Tower - I will have a look for you

Mark, If you look at Mikejee's post #87 it shows the shops I'm interested, especially number's 10 and 11 New Town Row.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil; Well I certainly have not got any going back to the 19th century, but I'll check what I do have next time I have a "scanning night" - I may well have some of buses on this bit of road which might have the locations you want in the background - I will check for you

again mark stunning photos...i remember walking past those shops in the middle 80s and looking at all those lovely metal advertisements thinking i wonder if they will be saved....really love the rare photos of the back of the old shops showing what looks to be the old outside toilets and brewhouses....i also went to the old cinema a few times to play bingo...

phil i was walking that route into town in the late 60s and the buildings you are interested in were long gone then...

lyn

Last edited:
phil i was walking that route into town in the late 60s and the buildings you are interested in were long gone then...

lyn
Hi Lyn,

I'm not surprised these buildings had disappeared by the late 60s that's when we had to move from Park Road, Hockley in 1969. It was all part of the drive to clear the so called victorian slums. Those were the days when you had no hot water on tap, no central heating and you shared the outside loo with your neighbours.

Hope Mark finds some more photos of those near the canal just before they were all knocked down.

Phil

Hi Phil; Well I certainly have not got any going back to the 19th century, but I'll check what I do have next time I have a "scanning night" - I may well have some of buses on this bit of road which might have the locations you want in the background - I will check for you
Used to travel on the #33 bus from Kingstanding along Newtown Row and into Town. That would be in the 1960s/70s and it often struck me as no-mans land by that time - a mix of open land and small industrial units. I think around that time they started to build the flats and the shopping centre there. Don't remember any of the older housing must have been demolished by this time. Never got off the bus to explore, so this was all taken in from the bus window. Viv.

Wow, Mark you’ve even got a #33 bus in there. Thank you, exactly as I remember it. Might even have been on that bus! Viv.

Wow, Mark you’ve even got a #33 bus in there. Thank you, exactly as I remember it. Might even have been on that bus! Viv.
Hi Mark, A bit late but many thanks for these brilliant photos. I worked at Benton & Stone (Enots) in Aston Brook Street in the mid sixties. They bring back happy memories. Kind regards , Sue

wow john that is a fantastic shot of newtown...i am going to spend a lot of time looking at this

lyn

A slightly different view, I didn't realise the first one I posted had the Gunmakers Arms on it. These will go to a slightly higher resolution so if there is an area of particular interest let me know.

Attachments

• newtown-row-2-aerial.jpg
    newtown-row-2-aerial.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • gunmakers-arms-map.jpg
    gunmakers-arms-map.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Hopefully I'm not remembering this wrong. Living in Bracebridge St I remember going down to Newtown Row to a toy
shop as two weeks pocket money (4/-) bought me a small airfix model plane which I loved making and painting.

I've looked through this thread and haven't seen it mentioned or photo'd but I think the shop was called,
'The house that Jack built' ?? This would be in the mid sixties.

Bob

RRJ
If you go to the search function (looking glass symbol at top right of page) insert "house that jack built" and tick on title box, then it will take you to a thread on that store.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Thanks Mike & Pete.

I did a search for Newtown Row, never imagining there would be a whole thread just on the shop! :oops:
This forum is a lot bigger than I thought. :)

Yes Pete, you are probably right. My airfix models were bought very close or adjacent to THTJB but
I could only remember that place name as it seemed so big and imposing.

Thanks Mike & Pete.

I did a search for Newtown Row, never imagining there would be a whole thread just on the shop! :oops:

Yes Pete, you are probably right. My airfix models were bought very close or adjacent to THTJB but
what a greatshop the HTJB was:)..... i still have some triang locos that was from the shop across from there before it was demolished.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
here you are RRJ

was the toy store michells? op the HTJB

There was a Mitchell's newsagent at No. 145 (opposite the Hippodrome) which probably sold toys. Would have been far right of this picture, just behind the white lorry.

Attachments

• newtownrow68.jpg
    newtownrow68.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 40
Thanks Mike & Pete.

The problem was that Newtown Row ended at Bracebridge St and then became High St. However, most of the locals, including me and my family, still referred to it as Newtown Row, mostly as 'The Row'.
Dave A

Back