• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whitehead street, Aston

Hello,
I am new to the Forum so I hope I am posting in the right place.
Thanks to posters who have mentioned Whitehead Street in earlier posts. I now know exactly where it was located.
In the 1871 census my 2xgreat grandparents Frederick & Ann Leggett, five of their children, a grandson and a lodger lived at Whitehead Street (Bath Place). The 1871 rate book for Whitehead Street, Aston notes that Frederick Liggett occupied, at a gross estimated rental of 9 Pounds 12 Shillings, 1 of 5 dwellings owned by M A Russell.
I am wondering if Bath Place may have been "back-to-back" houses. I note a number of other sets of buildings - Victoria Place, Barr Buildings and Lowes Buildings.
Hoping somebody in the Forum may have some knowledge.
Thanks,
Patricia Hughes

Hello,
Thanks to posters who have mentioned Whitehead Street in earlier posts. I now know exactly where it was located.
In the 1871 census my 2xgreat grandparents Frederick & Ann Leggett, five of their children, a grandson and a lodger lived at Whitehead Street (Bath Place). The 1871 rate book for Whitehead Street, Aston notes that Frederick Liggett occupied, at a gross estimated rental of 9 Pounds 12 Shillings, 1 of 5 dwellings owned by M A Russell.
I am wondering if Bath Place may have been "back-to-back" houses. I note a number of other sets of buildings - Victoria Place, Barr Buildings and Lowes Buildings.
Thanks,
Patricia Hughes
Thank you so much Pedrocut. This certainly adds to my "picture"of where my g g grandparents lived. So sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Hello,
Thanks,
Patricia Hughes
Hi Patricia, hope this helps, on the 1871 census the 'Leggetts' had a neighbour called George Lamberth, as you know there are no house numbers given on this census. On the 1881 census the only neighbour that also appeared on the 1871 census was George Lamberth and his house number is No. 2 back of 17 (2/17). Therefore by deduction I am fairly certain that Bath Place is the court where I have highlighted Nos. 1 & 2 on the map attached. These were not back to back houses but were in Court No. 1.

Attachments

• whitehead-st.jpg
    whitehead-st.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 13
Hi Patricia, hope this helps, on the 1871 census the 'Leggetts' had a neighbour called George Lamberth, as you know there are no house numbers given on this census. On the 1881 census the only neighbour that also appeared on the 1871 census was George Lamberth and his house number is No. 2 back of 17 (2/17). Therefore by deduction I am fairly certain that Bath Place is the court where I have highlighted Nos. 1 & 2 on the map attached. These were not back to back houses but were in Court No. 1.
Thanks you so much brummy-lad. I really appreciate this information, and the map. I am very happy to know where my
g g grandparents Frederick and Ann Liggett (various spellings) lived. It seems when they moved from Wellington, Shropshire sometime between 1861 and 1866 just about their whole family joined them, and seemed to settle around the Aston and Erdington area. My grandparents lived in Turf Pits Lane, Erdington before emigrating to Australia in 1920. Cheers,
Patricia.

I have yet to see any real photos of Whitehead St so, over the past few months I made one up. Using various personal photos,other photos, maps and a great deal of my memory I have made this video photo. Anyone living around Alma St or High St in the early 60s might also remember this scene. If this is not appropriate then please remove. If it is acceptable I have a couple of others I would like to post.

I have yet to see any real photos of Whitehead St so, over the past few months I made one up. Using various personal photos,other photos, maps and a great deal of my memory I have made this video photo. Anyone living around Alma St or High St in the early 60s might also remember this scene. If this is not appropriate then please remove. If it is acceptable I have a couple of others I would like to post.
I remember it well...I may wrote in previous post that the open area in the centre was where we had a cycle speedway track in the early 50's.
Dave A

I think that's excellent work, I can't imagine why it would be inappropriate.
Hi brummy-lad, apart from the colourized ones, all photos posted on this website are original. Because this is largely only an interpretation of what I remember in a photographic form, I thought it might be deemed inappropriate. Having said that, I believe it to be pretty accurate.

Banjo
I'm sure members found your efforts very interesting. As long as it is made clear that it is not an original photograph, which you did, then it is fine to post

In the absence of any photos available, the reason I originally made these images is to show my children & grandchildren where we used to live. The far house (next to the factory) was No9 where my wife lived before we were married. After we were married we lived in the front room of that house until we got our own place. [original shop photograph - Alton Douglas's "Back to the Sixties"]

WHITEHEAD STREET for History Forum.jpg

Back