• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

H SAMUELS HUNTERS ROAD BRIDGE AND CLOCK GONE

I worked for one of the Directors whose office was situated in the 'Golden Mile' area. A very nice man, but I have forgotten his name! This must have been in the 1950's or thereabouts. I bought two pairs of gold earrings for myself and was given a discount so I was very pleased...

Fantastic Ian thanks for the update. Although it's not a particularly attractive clock, it's what it represents. All those employees, pedestrians and drivers who have checked that clock for whatever reason. Viv

Strange your surname was the same as ours my mom worked there in the late 70s in an office where she used to have to use a comptometer her name was Dorothy (dot) Shaw
Through the glass panel from where I worked [on a manual typewriter lol] I could see an open plan office on the far side, where ladies used comptometers. I remember thinking how fast their fingers worked and how they didn't need to look at the keys.
My mum worked as a comptometer operator at H Samuels during the war. Her name was Jeanne Conn. She worked with another lady called Katy Evans, who I think was a buyer. She persuaded my mum to start writing to her cousin, Percy, who was serving with the RAF in Italy and Egypt, to keep his spirits up. It obviously worked because Jeanne and Percy were married after the war and lived in Shirley for the rest of their lives.

My mum worked as a comptometer operator at H Samuels during the war. Her name was Jeanne Conn. She worked with another lady called Katy Evans, who I think was a buyer. She persuaded my mum to start writing to her cousin, Percy, who was serving with the RAF in Italy and Egypt, to keep his spirits up. It obviously worked because Jeanne and Percy were married after the war and lived in Shirley for the rest of their lives.
what a lovely story thanks for sharing it with us

lyn

Last edited:
Back