• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

RRJ, Clifford's cafe belonged to my Aunt & Uncle (Dolly and Arthur). Attached is a photo outside their cafe at 76 St Stephen's Street. It shows the shop you were talking about and the corner of Walmer Rec.

View attachment 169896
Oh so remember this cafe Lady P. A great cafe, owned by a great couple. You may remember from previous posts, that we worked for the same company, Benton & Stone. Happy days.
Lovely to see the pic again. Fab.

Kind regards, Sue

Thanks for the welcome Sue.:)

I was only 12 when we were re-housed in Erdington around 1968, not long before they started tearing the area down.
Another memory I have of the street was putting my kid brother in a wheelbarrow with some sacking on him and doing
'Penny for the guy' outside the brassworks which were just opposite from our house. Working men were generous. :)

An aerial view from 1951, not very good quality but must have been a Monday as your neighbours had washing on the line? EDIT: Image corrected but even worse quality, still washing day though

Attachments

• rear-of-128-bracebridge-st.jpg
    rear-of-128-bracebridge-st.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Me not happy with my haircut, back yard of 128 Bracebridge St (circa 1966)
The state of the property!

View attachment 169935
Awww. Such a sad face Bob. Though I know the feeling, as did one of my brothers too. Seems that we always had an haircut like this, which upset us.Here is a photo of me with some of my brothers when I was at an Open air school, & at our hour in Waterworks street after we moved from bracebridge street.

Attachments

• Family photo's 3 (5)me at blackwell.jpg
    Family photo's 3 (5)me at blackwell.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Family photo's 4 (4).jpg
    Family photo's 4 (4).jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 16
Awww. Such a sad face Bob. Though I know the feeling, as did one of my brothers too. Seems that we always had an haircut like this, which upset us.Here is a photo of me with some of my brothers when I was at an Open air school, & at our hour in Waterworks street after we moved from bracebridge street.
Another photo for you Bob. I wonder if you recognise these

Attachments

• bracebridgestpics006.jpg
    bracebridgestpics006.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 20
  • bracebridgestpics014.jpg
    bracebridgestpics014.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 20
  • bracebridgestpics015.jpg
    bracebridgestpics015.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Another photo for you Bob. I wonder if you recognise these
Unfortunately my memory is too hazy for me to remember exact locations Michael.
I do remember lots of gaps in the streets where houses would have stood but now rubble plies. A great place for boys to have adventures
Thanks for posting your family pictures.

Bob

Amazing survivors John. I wonder what happened to the old Traction engine that was in the park?

Bob
Bob, I'm sure the engine has been mentioned on one of the threads somewhere but I can't remember what was said, never actually saw it myself (other than in pictures), I lived in Parliament Street and went to Burlington Street school.

Back