• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Young offenders detention centre

The Reading Evening Post, in July 1981, describes the Centre as the children’s version of Broadmoor. In their defence they are reporting the escape of a youth who had murdered his aunt in an horrific manor.

There is an article in the Birmingham Mail on January 14th 1978 about Glenthorne, there is a photo of the Director of the unitMr James Wilkie and information about the home , part of the article states 'The children coming into Glenthorne had each been sent there by the courts'

( this statement probably giving the impression that anyone that is sent to an institution by the courts is an offender.)

Hears another photo of myself. I presume I was probably about 14/15 in this photo,

I was never in here for committing ANY CRIME. I was put in here for my safety, I would run away for weeks and months at a time from children homes, foster homes etc, So Social services and the courts felt this was the best place to keep me safe. There are always two sides to every story. I remember some fantastic staff. And some great teachers. Unfortunately, I can not remember their names. But I was always very fond of the Art and English teacher. There was also a black fella who used to take us to the gym. A very good tables tennis player who I was also very fond of. He used to also take me out for day release to erdington high street,

However, I also remember one thing which I pray they dont do to young people in this day and age and thats locking them in a room with only 4 walls for days and sometimes weeks at a time.

I would love to hear some of the stories of staff and young people who was there. Mostly the positive ones as they seem to always be the ones that people forget

View attachment 158739
Very enlightening post sir. I worked at Glenthorne YTC in 1980 when Mr Wilkie was director ( and a very fine humanitarian he was too). Those detained in that unit covered a very broad spectrum . A small few I felt very sorry for as they simply should not have been there. Their problems deserved a different treatment programme elsewhere. Unfortunately I don't recall any good outcomes despite the best efforts of staff.

Very enlightening post sir. I worked at Glenthorne YTC in 1980 when Mr Wilkie was director ( and a very fine humanitarian he was too). Those detained in that unit covered a very broad spectrum . A small few I felt very sorry for as they simply should not have been there. Their problems deserved a different treatment programme elsewhere. Unfortunately I don't recall any good outcomes despite the best efforts of staff.
Jockey, welcome to the Forum, lots of history and very good folks! And thank you for you work and insight!

Hello Carole are you sure you have the right place the one I knew was Glenthorne a High Security youth centre located in Kingsbury Rd opposite Rookery Park . It had a complete upgrading and modernisation maybe 6 years ago.Dek
Could it know as Saint Johns. When Birmingham started shutting homes staff from Forhill Remand where moved to St Johns in Erdington and there was part that was secure at the time

Could it know as Saint Johns. When Birmingham started shutting homes staff from Forhill Remand where moved to St Johns in Erdington and there was part that was secure at the time
There were several sections of St Johns who had different names so could Glenthorne be part of it. I worked and lived at Forhill in the 80's my neighbours on both sides of my house where transfered to St Johns

Hears another photo of myself. I presume I was probably about 14/15 in this photo,

I was never in here for committing ANY CRIME. I was put in here for my safety, I would run away for weeks and months at a time from children homes, foster homes etc, So Social services and the courts felt this was the best place to keep me safe. There are always two sides to every story. I remember some fantastic staff. And some great teachers. Unfortunately, I can not remember their names. But I was always very fond of the Art and English teacher. There was also a black fella who used to take us to the gym. A very good tables tennis player who I was also very fond of. He used to also take me out for day release to erdington high street,

However, I also remember one thing which I pray they dont do to young people in this day and age and thats locking them in a room with only 4 walls for days and sometimes weeks at a time.

I would love to hear some of the stories of staff and young people who was there. Mostly the positive ones as they seem to always be the ones that people forget

View attachment 158739

View attachment 158739

I cant spell the black teacher name but could it have been Meecheck Fillameana. I worked and lived there in the 80's untill it was closed. It sounds like you should not have been a Forhill but they had nowhere else suitable. Do you remember a Mr Payne Mr Johnson or Mr Wilkes oh not forgetting Brian Owen the big boss

There was and possibly still is an 'approved school' called St Johns in Gravelly hill Erdington.

There's certainly nothing very romantic, or pleasant, about the inmates. Charming,

As one of the boys that were on one of the units I find that a little one-sided. I agree some was just pure evil. Yet some of us was only in there for behaviour problems. I later in life found out I had ADHD, Autism and anxiety disorder. Unfortunately kids like myself back then were looked at as just being naughty and often still are in this day and age. Some of us should have never been put in a place like that in the first place. I'm 39 years old now. Self-employed and a keen gardener who enjoys the outdoors and nature as well as classic cars. So please remember we are not all bad and I'm sure if you think, you will remember some good kids in there. Unfortunately it's to easy to just remember the bad

This was me in the wood work shop. Some of you may remember me
View attachment 158738
Nice to meet you Robbie and well done in turning your life around. I remember visiting Glenthorne in the 1990's as part of my HND in social care. I remember I was quite scared of the visit in particular when we were given instructions not to take in pens, chewing gum etc, as these could be used as weapons or methods of escape. I remember there were also a couple of halfway houses on site for those about to leave the system. The Many people I spoke with were very polite and determined to get on with life once out. I agree some people should never have been sent there...guess that was the systems easy option at the time and not always the best.

Hi guys
does any body know whether the young offenders detention centre at erdington
its a secure unit for the serios offenders of crime is still there
its i think by the old dhss offices on the corner of kingsbury rd
its so secure they can never escape like the other places of detention
and if possible can some-one tell me the name of it please
My name is billy joe friend I did a few years in glenthorne in erdington Kingston road I can remember loads of people Chris I did woodwork with he’s wife I cooked with Barbara who learned me to read plus helped me clear my name looking back there is to many people to name I would love to hear from any one who knows me from there I don’t even know if this if I’m doing this right it’s getting a bit emotional thinking back to them days I can remember young Gary Morrison who left and the next day died in a car crash there’s a lot of lost little souls but then I just hope they found peace

Welcome to the forum Billy, it was good that you met people who helped you and I can imagine it is emotional for you to remember those times.Thank you for your post.

Yes, thank you for your post Billy. It's good to know that something positive came out of your time there. Take my advice Billy and 'keep on learning'.

Back