• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

Thank you for your kind comments. To cheer you all up a bit, here is a piece of Snow Hill history that HAS survived - the tunnels from the north of the station, under Livery St, through the Jewellery Quarter emerging from under Vyse St into what is now the Jewellery Quarter station and what was then Hockley station. Apologies if I have posted a couple of these before - they were taken in the early-to-mid 1980's before the track bed was cleared to make way for the new rail and metro lines - I have tried to put them into order as best as I can:-
We start approximately level with Taylor & Challen:-
1650922507903.png

Moving north we are passing under Livery St - the carriage sidings are ending on the right:-
1650922581454.png
1650923366460.png
1650923438470.png

Now entering the cutting behind Cannings:-
1650922644766.png
1650922678291.png

Snow Hill site is just visible if we turn around:-
1650922797710.png

Now we start to move into the Jewellery Quarter:-
1650922855334.png

Last edited:
The station is now disappearing into the distance. Note the repaired walls on the right:-
1650922929881.png

Rubbish everywhere - but do not worry - soon it will all be gone!
1650922976920.png

Now we are about half way through:-
1650923136344.png

Cannot see Snow Hill station any more:-
1650923172897.png

Amazing what was dumped in these tunnels.... Note the painted wall on the left - probably the backdrop to a signal:-
1650923226602.png

Last edited:
Three quarters of the way there - Hockley goods yard (well the site of....) is now visible in the distance:-
1650923525829.png

Looking back towards Snow Hill:-
1650923571224.png

"Can someone put a shilling in the meter please?"
1650923663605.png

Nearly there - Hockley is in the distance:-
1650923705800.png

Finally we arrive in Hockley - the middle of the wall was painted a lighter colour apparently so that the signals that used to be there showed up better against it:-
1650924020019.png

Mark you deserve some kind of recognition for services to Brummies.
totally agree with you tom...i would like to bet that when mark over many years of taking his photos did not realise at the time just how important these photos would become...scattered all over the forum and never seen before we as members can only say thank you for choosing this forum to share them along with our mikejee who also has a wonderful collection of private photos also shared with us...i only wish they could all be printed in books and have exhibitions of them...a big task i know but who knows maybe one day:)

lyn

Mark- these are incredibly evocative photos. I was fortunate to have moved away before the final act of destruction so only knew the building in my early teens - my formative years - pre-1976, when it was almost intact but decaying. I never saw, thank God, the bitter end. The place haunts me- I don't say that lightly. I'd give anything to sit on the platform again under the GWR overall roof amidst the 1970's products of Longbridge (a paradox! These were the tools that Beeching and Marples used to kill our beloved railways) and wander along the cuttings to Hockley with the distant hum of the city in the background. Still - we have Moor Street with us yet, and I do love it. There is so much that was wantonly frittered away. The best Museum of Science and Industry in the country. The finest public art - the Budd mosaics in St Chads- all gone (but possibly buried for the future maybe? I hope so.

On the plus side - at least the vast majority of the contents of the old science museum still exist at the Dollman St collection centre - just a huge pity that whoever designed Thinktank came up with "science museum bit - ram in as much as I can into as small as space as possible, but leave that huge entrance hall totally empty so people can come in and appreciate what a vast space looks like...., then waste the rest of the building on things of little or no importance...." - sorry I'm on me soap box now.......... - oh I forgot - "Charge a small fortune to go in"...........

A signalman at work at Snow Hill railway station in Birmingham, June 1932.​

A signalman at work at Snow Hill railway station in Birmingham, June 1932.

And the next lot - superb carving details on the walls of what was, in fact, only a parcels yard:-
View attachment 169503
Not sure which emblem had been removed from here- possibly the original manufacturers of the steelwork?
View attachment 169504
View attachment 169505

Moving on a few days - demolition is now in full swing - note the parcels undercroft is now open to the elements:-
View attachment 169506
View attachment 169507
View attachment 169508
This is what was on the second photo in this post by the way:-
1651602835328.png

Two photos of the approaches to Snow Hill in 1961, taken 4 months apart, in which time the name Taylor & Challen has been repainted.

View attachment 170377View attachment 170378
Did the train go to Blackpool in those days from Snow Hill. I was in a push chair I think at the time about 4 years old when taken to Blackpool and the station I remember was nothing like New Street I came to know. One for the music set on here was Le Metro In Livery Street set in the arches of the railway. I went to watch a friend Colin ( Bloggsie) Bates in Jugs O Henry at Le Metro I am sure it was.

Did the train go to Blackpool in those days from Snow Hill. I was in a push chair I think at the time about 4 years old when taken to Blackpool and the station I remember was nothing like New Street I came to know. One for the music set on here was Le Metro In Livery Street set in the arches of the railway. I went to watch a friend Colin ( Bloggsie) Bates in Jugs O Henry at Le Metro I am sure it was.
I notice that the earlier photo showed that the Taylor & Challen name was lower down while the Derwent Foundry name was up top. In the 1961 photo these names appear to have been switched round, with a freshly painted Taylor & Challen up top.

As far as your query about trains going to Blackpool, I can't see how a departure from Snow Hill would go there. Shrewsbury,Chester & Birkenhead were the northern destinations from there whereas from New Street, the route would be direct t via Crewe & Preston to Blackpool.

I notice that the earlier photo showed that the Taylor & Challen name was lower down while the Derwent Foundry name was up top. In the 1961 photo these names appear to have been switched round, with a freshly painted Taylor & Challen up top.

As far as your query about trains going to Blackpool, I can't see how a departure from Snow Hill would go there. Shrewsbury,Chester & Birkenhead were the northern destinations from there whereas from New Street, the route would be direct t via Crewe & Preston to Blackpool.
I had probably had too much candy floss and fish and chips.

My recollection. in 1949 or 1950, was New Street for Blackpool trains.
At the age of 12 I was not impressed with the place, it stank of beer and fish an chips and vomit. Needless to say that I have visited it again.

My recollection. in 1949 or 1950, was New Street for Blackpool trains.
At the age of 12 I was not impressed with the place, it stank of beer and fish an chips and vomit. Needless to say that I have visited it again.
Alan, my recollection In about 51 or 52 aged 8 or 9 was the same. Hot summer. I did go one other time to see Stanley Matthew’s play, we went to game and came back home.

Alan, my recollection In about 51 or 52 aged 8 or 9 was the same. Hot summer. I did go one other time to see Stanley Matthew’s play, we went to game and came back home.
Now there's name well known in the past. Wonderful, fine player. Long before footballers were into hugging each other. :laughing:

Didn’t the railway companies paint their signal boxes a distinct company colour ? Mike’s photo #952 seems to show, I think, a brown and cream box. I remember seeing brown and cream boxes in Cornwall in the 1950s. Viv.

Back